A safe, slow growing and lovely looking macro

Stella1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. :) A reefer friend is making me a little jealous with his fearless approach to macros in nano/pico tanks, lol. @Lorekeeper :D I'm still early in my reefing journey and wouldn't like to do anything that may endanger or slow the growth of the corals in our 20g long mixed reef. I've read too many reports of macros being a bad idea due to going sexual, rampant growth, and/or the difficulty in eradicating macros from a system should that be wanted. But... I just discovered the Pink Galaxy macro.;Drool Sooo pretty!

So friends, would you squeeze a Galaxy into a fairly full 20 gallon long? What might be the concerns in keeping this macro? Any worries about it being very near to and possibly touching corals?

Here's the tank. :D Flow is moderate, as is lighting. Hrmmm, the other problem is that nutrients stay very low with little effort on my part. I am not so careful with feeding and I only have a tiny fuge going inside slightly modified Aquaclear 70.
2018-07-04-14-40-55.jpg

Here's a Pink Galaxy. :p
fauchea__red_dic_4e3e84a8edcc0.jpg

https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/10-macro-frag-special

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah sucks that it's banned in CA otherwise I'd by it. Looks kinda like Galaxaura rugosa (sorry I only know algae by their latin/scientific names). Shouldn't be a problem with it touching corals unless it's a super fast grower, which I don't think it is. based on the genus it should require calcium and alk just like corals since they are calcium-based. If you want to check out Halipton (AKA Red Palm Macro) it's a beautiful and slow growing macro that I have plenty off. Super easy to frag and fluoresces bright red under blue lighting (at least under mine) which is pretty rare for an algae.

OP
OP
Stella1979

Stella1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halipton sounds awesome! I'll definitely check that out. Thanks! Oh... and don't be sorry for calling these things by their proper names. Wish I could!

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halipton sounds awesome! I'll definitely check that out. Thanks! Oh... and don't be sorry for calling these things by their proper names. Wish I could!

Haha thanks, it's kinda annoying because I work at an aquarium and do citizen-science for fun (and intern at a marine bio lab) so sometimes when I'm buying stuff at my LFS I get some funny looks for calling corals by their species name instead of their trade name

OP
OP
Stella1979

Stella1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fun job @Sonofives :) My own love of salty stuff comes from growing up in the FL Keys and spending a lot of time on the water. Unfortunately, this means I knew of things not by their scientific name, nor by the usual common names, but by whatever everyone else called them. For example, I know of this bright orange coral that mostly encrusts and branches only a little. It grows among the reefs off of my hometown. It burns like fire if you touch it, so, everybody calls it fire coral. I grew up, started the hobby and one day googled Fire Coral to find that a brownish Mille pops up, which is definitely not what I was looking for, lol.

Just googled Halipton. My goodness, it's pretty. :D I'm not quite ready to make the jump into macros myself, but I think my friend would love it. Do you sell any of yours?

Lorekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order was just placed! Got me some Pink Galaxy coming in the mail!

If anyone has any Red Palm for sale, let's chat ;) I'm very interested.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fun job @Sonofives :) My own love of salty stuff comes from growing up in the FL Keys and spending a lot of time on the water. Unfortunately, this means I knew of things not by their scientific name, nor by the usual common names, but by whatever everyone else called them. For example, I know of this bright orange coral that mostly encrusts and branches only a little. It grows among the reefs off of my hometown. It burns like fire if you touch it, so, everybody calls it fire coral. I grew up, started the hobby and one day googled Fire Coral to find that a brownish Mille pops up, which is definitely not what I was looking for, lol.

Just googled Halipton. My goodness, it's pretty. :D I'm not quite ready to make the jump into macros myself, but I think my friend would love it. Do you sell any of yours?

Yeah Millepora (AKA firecorals) are not truly corals but a type of hydroid and yes they really do feel like fire. I currently don't sell it since I don't really have frags on hand and I'm not familiar with how the entire shipping thing works but maybe I can start fragging and within a month or so I can have some decent frags. Try asking your LFS to order some for you in the mean time.

Lorekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Millepora (AKA firecorals) are not truly corals but a type of hydroid and yes they really do feel like fire. I currently don't sell it since I don't really have frags on hand and I'm not familiar with how the entire shipping thing works but maybe I can start fragging and within a month or so I can have some decent frags. Try asking your LFS to order some for you in the mean time.
My LFS actually can't get ANY macros in right now. But, I ordered from reefcleaners. Where did you get the Red Palm? I've only seen it for sale once or twice, and both times it was on a website that I'm not too fond of.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a good site for ID, care, and buying. If you look through the descriptions, you can find something that suits your needs and tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back