A simple way of feeding frozen cyclops when you are sleeping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Material
1 GHL magnetic stirrer
1 free dosing head
some tubing
a glass bottle with flat bottom
Frozen cyclops or other frozen food
a ton of fantasy
a ton of laziness

Set up

Connect the doser heads suction tube and let it end in the bottom of the glass bottle.
Connect the the doser heads pressure tube and let it end in the intake of your return pump
Place the stirrer bar in the glass bottle
Place the glass bottle on the magnetic stirrer

Programming

calibrate the chosen pump head at fastest speed.

Below is my configuration

screenshot 013.PNG

Now I want my magnetic stirrer to react to my dosing schedule - therefore I configure the actual stirrer this way. Lead time 45 sec means that it start to stirr 45 secunds before the dose head start to dose

screenshot 016.PNG

My schedule - first the important thing if you start with a empty bottle. In my case - I always feed my fishes around 21:00 in the evening. Therefore I want the bottle to be filled up with enough water before that. I start with a dosing of 400 ml water/night - therefore i fill up the bottle in two steps 20:00 and 20:30. Two steps because of not running the pump head for a long time. I use reversed mode (water is taken from the sump)

screenshot 014.PNG

When I feed my fish - I take some of my frozen food and put it in the filled bottle. It will slowly thaw. Feeding programming. At 00:00 I feed 150 ml, at 03:00 I feed 150 ml and at 05:00 I feed 100 ml. Now the bottle should be nearly empty but of cause with some rest of food in the bottom. Therefore at 08:00 I fill up the bottle with 100 ml water and let it go back at 08:15. A way of rinse the bottle.

screenshot 015.PNG

My return pump is managed by a 1-10 V signals from my P4 - When I feed - I want it to slow down to around 10 % for a while. I use Illumination channel 16 for this pump - schedule below

screenshot 017.PNG

Of cause you can use this idea even for feeding during daytime if you own a GHL computer, a GHL magnetic stirrer, a free Doser 2 or Doser 2.1 dosing head and a lot of fantasy Will it be bacteria in the bottle - for sure - but corals eat bacteria too.

I´m have use the feeding for 1 night now - will come back later on with results. My first goal is to feed my sun corals better than before.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Material
1 GHL magnetic stirrer
1 free dosing head
some tubing
a ton of fantasy
a ton of laziness

Set up

Connect the doser heads suction tube and let it end in the bottom of the glass bottle.
Connect the the doser heads pressure tube and let it end in the intake of your return pump

Programming

screenshot 013.PNG

Now I want my magnetic stirrer to react to my dosing schedule - therefore I configure the actual stirrer this way. Lead time 45 sec means that it start to stirr 45 secunds before the dose head start to dose

screenshot 016.PNG

My schedule - first the important thing if you start with a empty bottle. In my case - I always feed my fishes around 21:00 in the evening. Therefore I want the bottle to be filled up with enough water before that. I start with a dosing of 400 ml water/night - therefore i fill up the bottle in two steps 20:00 and 20:30. Two steps because of not running the pump head for a long time. I use reversed mode (water is taken from the sump)

screenshot 014.PNG

When I feed my fish - I take some of my frozen food and put it in the filled bottle. It will slowly thaw. Feeding programming. At 00:00 I feed 150 ml, at 03:00 I feed 150 ml and at 05:00 I feed 100 ml. Now the bottle should be nearly empty but of cause with some rest of food in the bottom. Therefore at 08:00 I fill up the bottle with 100 ml water and let it go back at 08:15. A way of rinse the bottle.

screenshot 015.PNG

My return pump is managed by a 1-10 V signals from my P4 - When I feed - I want it to slow down to around 10 % for a while. I use Illumination channel 16 for this pump - schedule below

screenshot 017.PNG

Of cause you can use this idea even for feeding during daytime if you own a GHL computer, a GHL magnetic stirrer, a free Doser 2 or Doser 2.1 dosing head and a lot of fantasy Will it be bacteria in the bottle - for sure - but corals eat bacteria too.

I´m have use the feeding for 1 night now - will come back later on with results. My first goal is to feed my sun corals better than before.

Sincerely Lasse
Very cool. So the food is going into the sump and gets to the tank through the return?

Tony

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Material
1 GHL magnetic stirrer
1 free dosing head
some tubing
a ton of fantasy
a ton of laziness

Set up

Programming

screenshot 013.PNG

screenshot 016.PNG

screenshot 014.PNG

screenshot 015.PNG

screenshot 017.PNG

Sincerely Lasse
this is so cool! I love this kind of ingenuity

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just submerge the line next to your return outlet in the Display? It could draw water from there, but also deposit the food straight into the dispaly without going through the pump.

Love the idea but you still need to add the frozen blocks to your container. And it's not flexible - you need to add the blocks at a certain time. The next challenge, should you accept (cue mission impossible music) is to trigger all of this off a feed timer.

Press feed timer and put cube in. Then your entire automation flow kicks off.
fill the vessel and wait for food to defrost​
Active dosing pump (with the stirrer kicking off 45 seconds before)​
Feed once or twice​
fill vessel for a rinse​
feed again to empty vessel (and repeat until container is clean - a little trail and error here​

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next challenge, should you accept (cue mission impossible music) is to trigger all of this off a feed timer.
I think this is possible with help of PL and virtualprobes, processes and pumps but not with the feed process - it will need to be the maintenance process.

I have done a similar programming in another project I´m involved in. it is a project with the tasks to start a compressor, fill a reactor with media, adding a certain amount of dry matter with help of air to the process, a certain process time and a air driven process to empty the reactor with help of over pressure.

Material in this construction:
a compressor, a reactor, a scale with digital alarms, an air driven injector for light dry matter, three electrical ball valves, a pump (DC of course), two relays, 5 pcs of solenoid valves, 2 pcs 5.1 power bars, 1 pcs P3.1, one level splitter and a lot of fantasy. The process is to repeat itself as long as maintenance is active and if maintenance should be inactive after the first stage (filling the reactor) - all other stages will be run until the reactor is empty again.

But in my case - i do not need to do this because I feed more or less at the same time every night.

Why not just submerge the line next to your return outlet in the Display? It could draw water from there, but also deposit the food straight into the dispaly without going through the pump.
I have a pump that spread the water rather equally in the DT - why not use that instead of just dropping it out at a certain place in the aquaria. If I do that - I know for sure that some of my fish will learn this rather fast and just place themself in position for the next feed.

For the moment I feed just over a stream pump situated in one of my rock decorations. The main stream of this streamer comes out in the right bottom corner of the DT. Ten minutes before 21:00 - 90 % of my fishes will be in the right end of the aquarium. If I open the door to the freezer (they can see that from the corner they gather in) - they move forward to the point there they know the food will come. They just form a queue :p. i´ll try to catch this on video some day. if I open the freezer during daytime - they do not react.

However - one thing I have thought of is to construct an isolated bottle with a peltier element attached between the bottle and isolation (and a cooler on the element). If I construct it this way - it is possible to construct a feeder you can load for more than one day. We will see how long time the Corona isolation will be for us 70 + - maybe there will be time to develop such a bottle. I think it need to be flat at one of the sides because curved peltier elements does probably not exist.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing this @Lasse.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back