A Slice of Reef Imagined

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after years of enjoying others tank threads I decided to finally post one of my own. This will be about a newer tank that was set up a few months ago. I have avoided doing so in the past because of my own baggage. I have spent my entire adult working life in jobs that require/seek perfection. I won't bore you with details but suffice to say I have reached a point of disfunction to where I am never happy with anything I produce. Only seeing the flaws, never the shine. A deep seated nuerosies,lol. I have promised myself with this build that I will not torture myself but rather enjoy the ride, bumpy as it may be. Oh what a fool will believe!
The premise of this tank will be a reef outcrop. The scene in every documentary with colorful swarms of fish swimming in and out of coral heads. I have always had two desires as far as reefing goes, an SPS garden and this theme. This tank will be about the critters not the box so to speak. I really enjoy the odd, the different so that is what this tank is about. The fish are just bit players, important for effect but not so much the stars of the tank. This will also be a budget build, no mega bucks build. So let the insanity proceed.
The basics:
Tank is a used 75 all glass common old tank.
Lighting is bargain basement T5, 4 x 54w so far
Return is a simple Rio 1700
Skimmer is an older Eshopps S250, I think
In tank flow an Ice Cap 3k, so far
Overflow is a self installed Fijicube 1200 gph box
Sump is a 20long, baffled into 3 areas
Dosing is manual 2 part
Carbon in a bag occasionally
Filter sock occasionally

Ok, some pics
20191005_142516.jpg
20191005_142252.jpg
20191005_142306.jpg
20191005_142344.jpg
20191005_142431.jpg

15703057868852308958756036731238.jpg

I'll try and keep it fun and lighthearted.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking setup!

Is that diodogorgia nodulifera you have in the first pic? how long have you had it? nps gorgonians can be really tricky to keep happy long term but yours looks really healthy!

OP
OP
tripdad

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not Id'd it yet. I have had it a short while but as I have mentioned in other threads I am very serious about finding a long term success with certain NPS corals. My end goal to eventually have success with scleractinian type corals. I just think they are beautiful. Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
tripdad

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191104_194314.jpg

I have id'd the gorg and added another one in yellow/orange skin. I also discovered some very small polyps in a few spots in the tank. They are octoral in nature and have a mouth. I have observed a tentacle grab passing food and curl in to the mouth. It's too early to be at all certain but they appear to be the same structure as the diodigorgia nodulifera. I can find no recorded episodes of them spawning in a home tank so time will tell what these polyps are. They are definitely not aptasia as they have very strong octoral shape and are pure white.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191104_194314.jpg

I have id'd the gorg and added another one in yellow/orange skin. I also discovered some very small polyps in a few spots in the tank. They are octoral in nature and have a mouth. I have observed a tentacle grab passing food and curl in to the mouth. It's too early to be at all certain but they appear to be the same structure as the diodigorgia nodulifera. I can find no recorded episodes of them spawning in a home tank so time will tell what these polyps are. They are definitely not aptasia as they have very strong octoral shape and are pure white.

So the red guy did turn out to be diodogorgia noudulifera? also I agree those polyps have an uncanny similarity, but how? no tissue that you can see?

OP
OP
tripdad

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very small right now, maybe 2mm across. They definitely have a holdfast type attachment. I took a video, about 18 sec, but it won't upload so far. In it you can see a single arm respond while the other seven stay open. To me this is a real clue that they are possibly spawn from the gorgs. I've nothing else that they could come from as far as I'm aware. Time will tell but waiting is killing me,lol.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be looking at some type of hydroid to rule out other things it could be, but If it does turn out to be a start of D. noudulifera I guess its possible that a "gravid" specimen was harvested and did indeed release planulae that settled into substrate in your system would be pretty amazing indeed!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks beautiful!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back