A St. Patrick's Day "Luck of the Reefer" Thread! What has brought you the most "luck" in the reef hobby?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today is St. Patrick's Day, so I thought this would be a fun topic! We know that no one has a nice reef because of "luck"...it's because of all that HARD WORK you put in as a reefer! However, every once in a while, I know I've seemingly "stumbled" onto some things that have been like happy surprises that have helped me find success in my reef. Other things I have done seem to have increased my "luck" with keeping corals and fish too. Or maybe you'd like to share about something that happened in your reef hobby that you thought was just a really lucky moment for you. So...share with us... (Pick one of the questions below or answer both if you'd like.)

1) What has been something that has brought you "luck" with your reef tank?
2) What have been some of the "lucky" surprises that you have come across that helped you get a bump in the reef hobby?
3) Share about a lucky moment in your reef hobby.

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) What has been something that has brought you "luck" with your reef tank?
People! The best luck I have had is connecting with others in the hobby, sharing experiences/ideas, and potentially avoiding huge mistakes. My most recent example was somebody informing me about friction loss in plumbing. Without that random stranger taking time to warn me of the flaw in my design... I would be pumping 200GPH through my return instead of 600! I had already bought the 3/4 PVC and was about to glue it that very night until I read that post. I call that LUCK! Just cost me some $$'s to ship it back to BRS and get the right stuff... crisis averted.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Finding someone local who sorts out my water for me at a VERY cheap price
2. Having 2 lfs where the staff are very helpful
3. This site and the other fishy sites I am a member of.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back