A.T.T.R’s return to the hobby 20 gallon build thread.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag alk cal all perfect

phosphate. 0.04ish
nitrate…. 60+ Not sure I trust this result as all the inverts and coral except for the one montipora are fine. Either way going to do two or three 50 percent water changes tomorrow and turn up the skimmer a bit(dropped it down another 1/2 inch)

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4FB02FE6-1BF0-43D7-83AD-3EA8CC738E45.jpeg F9D37FCC-26F3-46B8-838A-8FE4E3C7CCE1.jpeg 0072132B-A370-4B4D-B6A2-F118655A6452.jpeg
Water change. Tried to do it very slow using airline tubing and a small pump.
Even with it being slow it ticked off one of my slugs and he ditched his body and is now a floating head moving around the tank. Nitrate test again tonight

looking into options for auto water changers company who makes my ato makes one and may be a good option or may design my own.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora is starting to bounce back. Lots of tissue bleaching/ loss but all the polyps remain intact and are now coming out again every day. Everything else looks fine.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a cheap dosing pump a few check valves and lines placed in my overflow box(my sump since the tank uses a canister)

pump pumps in fresh saltwater raising the water level in the tank and overflow. Every few minutes dosing pump kicks on and pulls out water from a line that is only slightly above the auto top off sensor. This drain line has a tee in it before and after the dosing pump creating a bridge that a check valve is placed on. This allows the pump to start a siphon and continue it even after the pump turns off. I simply need to add a high water sensor as a back up and all is good! Total cost $80.

F647C0EE-0814-4E4D-9FF6-2CFEA1624B11.jpeg ECD83F2D-30F0-46AD-BB14-FBA38E63F055.jpeg

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple new things. Including a biota mandarin that was looking really thin at the LfS.. pretty sure the fish tanks ran copper and had 0 pods. I made sure he would take pellets at the store they let me stand there and try to hand feed him. He did nibble at one so home he came. He has been picking at the pods all day. I am going to make a small down pipe to “his corner” so I can drop food directly to his sleep spot.
A199A818-FD7A-4B70-A94E-892380BCCD19.jpeg FC1FC409-A3D8-4EDC-A4FC-9193ED68FCA7.jpeg E4C4D215-62DE-4D85-AD41-1DAE2F6DCFB5.jpeg

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto water change is working great. Actually may dial it back a little since it is currently doing 25 percent per week i think ill be good with 12.5 a week.

Ordered a RO unit because I am sick of running out for distilled water.

Considering a second light and a gyre pump or a second nero 3 to try and make some more alternating water flow.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a second Nero 3. Currently both on back wall but as much as I hate pumps on the sidewall looks like they may end up on the sides. They are nice and low profile but gotta figure out the cord.

also my slugs laid eqqs and under a microscope they all seem fertilized and growing

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to capture the shrimp and move him right to the gobys favorite hidy hole dead front and center.... goby and shrimp have paired up... Behind my rock in a tiny lil hole right where the shrimps favorite spot was... I guess the shrimp is in charge :(.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fighting a dino outbreak caused by using vibrant back when i thought vibrant was a bacterial blend and not an algicide...
Got a small in tank UV but I think it may be too weak to do. Also on day 4 of DR TIMS treatment hoping it helps.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate my self right now but while reprogramming my auto water change I must have toggled one of the other heads and told my system to dump 3/4 gallon of alkalinity component of two part..,

Most of my corals are burned. Lettuce seaslugs all dead as far as I can tell. My mandarin is dead. All my snails seem lethargic /paralyzed. Im keeping my fingers crossed my goby /pistol pair somehow will make it. Clownfish seem alright. I think I’m going to lose several sps acans Duncan’s and chalices. Most of the montipora look like they will recover along with a few of the acros as long as they don’t rtn from the burns.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most acros RTNed over night and have very little tissue left. Most LPS looks like hell I think two acans out of 5 will make it and 6 out of the 7 montis will and three out of the 4 out of the 8 acros. This sucks... Last time I ever change settings without standing infront of the tank

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the alk dump. How are things going 13 months later?

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the alk dump. How are things going 13 months later?
Still fighting Dinos. Dumping in copepods today. I thought I had it under control had tank covered in Bryopsis then BAM came back (small cell this time it seems) smothered the bryopsis and took over again. Even went no light for 15 days the other month.....

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Still fighting Dinos. Dumping in copepods today. I thought I had it under control had tank covered in Bryopsis then BAM came back (small cell this time it seems) smothered the bryopsis and took over again. Even went no light for 15 days the other month.....

It's crazy how quickly things can go down hill vs how long it can take for a tank to recover. I'm sorry to see that you've had such a rough time, and hope that you persevere! Hopefully it's all good news moving forward from here.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy how quickly things can go down hill vs how long it can take for a tank to recover. I'm sorry to see that you've had such a rough time, and hope that you persevere! Hopefully it's all good news moving forward from here.
Never had issues like this before. Really starting to think its something with the LED's and kind of want to give MH or CFL a try. I have had at this point 20 + reef tanks from 3 gallons to 300 gallons and have NEVER fought this hard.

Back