A type of algae?

jcarlding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
39032043-E372-4689-8EE6-FF21489BF1E5.jpeg

Three of these bundles showed up 5-6 weeks after I started the macro algae refugium tank. All my other algae has about disappeared. They look cool, but I’m pretty nervous how big they got almost overnight

any idea what it is?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s bryopsis, reef flux rx knocks it out. Just did a round in my tank. Corals anemones shrimp n fish all fared well. Remove any chemical filtration before dosing to tank.

OP
OP
J

jcarlding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Any natural remedies? I presume if I pluck it out, it will just return

would I remove the macro algae refugium tank from the circuit while treating with the reef flux rx?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some enjoy it for the looks and nutrient uptake in macroalgae tanks, however, and it’s even sold on Ebay. Not sure if it could outcompete or would be overwhelmed by others macros though.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Any natural remedies? I presume if I pluck it out, it will just return

would I remove the macro algae refugium tank from the circuit while treating with the reef flux rx?
the only natural remedy that I know of is manual removal but, your run the risk of spores being released and the bryopsis spreading. The med used is an anti fungal and interrupts the nutrition uptake mechanism of algae which in turn kills off the algae…..that’s how I understood it. I’m not sure as I don’t run one but I think skimmers and such need to also be off. Keep an eye on your nutrients and phosphate levels. I let the meds run for 2 weeks with just mech filtration. After the 2 weeks I ran carbon for a couple of days then did a 20-30% WC, removed carbon and returned back to my regularly scheduled program (new chemi-pure, purigen) .

I’m not entirely sure on the macro in the refugium but, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to remove it just in case.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to what your magnesium levels are? Because of byrposis, I keep my magnesium above 1400 and never see it.
Do magnesium levels at 1400+ Keep bryopsis at bay? I ask because my magnesium is typically at the 1400+ level and I still managed to get bryopsis.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do magnesium levels at 1400+ Keep bryopsis at bay? I ask because my magnesium is typically at the 1400+ level and I still managed to get bryopsis.
It has for me. You may end up needing to go the chemical route sadly. Unless this is not a true byrposis and looks like it. There are many algae forms out there and can only be id'ed by microscope.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has for me. You may end up needing to go the chemical route sadly. Unless this is not a true byrposis and looks like it. There are many algae forms out there and can only be id'ed by microscope.
Yea, that’s exactly the route I had to take. Manual removal was just spreading it and I’m not a fan of overly sticking my hands in my tank. The reef flux worked well with the little bryopsis I had and it also helped with the GHA. It’s a really simple process and by the looks of it, my coral and inverts didn’t seem to be bothered by the dosage.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea, that’s exactly the route I had to take. Manual removal was just spreading it and I’m not a fan of overly sticking my hands in my tank. The reef flux worked well with the little bryopsis I had and it also helped with the GHA. It’s a really simple process and by the looks of it, my coral and inverts didn’t seem to be bothered by the dosage.
A lot of these treatments if used correctly, don't hurt the system. It's the over dosing that causes a lot of damage.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back