A way to beat dinos without UV or blackouts. If this works for you please reply to this thread.

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to once per week once I was sure the dinos were gone. I do still dose the bacteria once per week. I use NeoNitro and NeoPhos for dosing NO3 and PO4 but I like to keep my nutrients low.
I'm trying to adjust for my volume which is 50g. How did you get 40 and 20 dosage?

Clean says for dirty roughly 30ml per 25g. So I think you did 3x30/2 for about 45 and then rounded down?

7 says 5ml per 25ml?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try it with dosing the bacteria like the way I did? When I first thought it was cyano, siphoning alone never affected it. Within a day it looked almost like I did nothing. It wasn't until I started dosing the MB Clean along with my MB7 that I noticed major improvement.

I did use Microbacter 7 and Dr. Tim's Wasteaway and things actually got worse.

I think we have to remember that there are a lot of variations in response 1) in individual tanks 2) between different strains of dinos....as well as combinations of multiple strains. However we also need to remember not to apply anecdotal success broadly. There may be unrelated factors not understood in a particular scenario.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 is 4/ 5ths of the 50 dose, 20 is 2/ 5ths.
You can make it easier by doubling the 50 to 100 making 40 - 40% & 20 - 20%.

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 is 4/ 5ths of the 50 dose, 20 is 2/ 5ths.
You can make it easier by doubling the 50 to 100 making 40 - 40% & 20 - 20%.

Sorry not following? I'm trying to figure out how the OP arrived at these numbers for his 75g. Seems to be adjusted from what Brightwell has on the bottles. Based on that will determine something similar for my 50g.

OP
OP
ChrisOFL

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to adjust for my volume which is 50g. How did you get 40 and 20 dosage?

Clean says for dirty roughly 30ml per 25g. So I think you did 3x30/2 for about 45 and then rounded down?

7 says 5ml per 25ml?
The directions say 20mL of MB Clean per 25gal weekly for normal aquarium (60mL for 75gallons). I was already dosing MB7 so I decided I'd dose the 40mL of MB Clean and 20mL of MB7 twice per week. For your 50 gallon tank it would be 27mL of MB Clean and 13mL of MB7 according to my dosing. You can round up to 30/15 for easier dosing with the cap.

OP
OP
ChrisOFL

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use Microbacter 7 and Dr. Tim's Wasteaway and things actually got worse.

I think we have to remember that there are a lot of variations in response 1) in individual tanks 2) between different strains of dinos....as well as combinations of multiple strains. However we also need to remember not to apply anecdotal success broadly. There may be unrelated factors not understood in a particular scenario.
You're right that this isn't going to work for everyone but neither does UV and blackouts. I made this post more for people who have tried alternatives without much success. However if it works for 75% or even 50% of people then I think it would be a good option to recommend others.

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions say 20mL of MB Clean per 25gal weekly for normal aquarium (60mL for 75gallons). I was already dosing MB7 so I decided I'd dose the 40mL of MB Clean and 20mL of MB7 twice per week. For your 50 gallon tank it would be 27mL of MB Clean and 13mL of MB7 according to my dosing. You can round up to 30/15 for easier dosing with the cap.
That makes sense. Thanks for the details.

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of success was no uv to kill bacteria. I fought them for over a year and then nuked my 225 gallon tank and bleached everything. I tried it all. Set the tank up again in February and they are back. I even put some Florida live rock in there. I have slowly heated tank to 83 degrees and dosing kalkwasser to keep ph at 8.4. Running a uv but can’t see any difference. I added 12 spiny urchins and they are working it hard. Mine turn all rocks brown and only slimes on overflow , gyre, top of tank where most flow. Going to try your method and will keep you posted. I am thinking about a de filter instead of filter sock after stirring them up. I will keep you posted on if your method works. I calculated 108 clean and 52 Baxter 7 for 200 gallon system water total. I didn’t follow how many times weekly at the beginning while siphon cleaning. I will try anything to not repeat that heartbreak again. Funny thing is they barely show up on live rock. Mostly base rock which like yours was live rock a few years ago and then recycled

Attachments

• 56F4FEE4-BCCC-481F-94E8-52E78CAAD1CD.jpeg
    56F4FEE4-BCCC-481F-94E8-52E78CAAD1CD.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 3EA4FCB5-40D3-4B8F-B007-8066A0201638.jpeg
    3EA4FCB5-40D3-4B8F-B007-8066A0201638.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 84

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of something very similar:

Did a siphon/clean of the rocks/sand. It's been lights out for six days now, and I've been dosing MB7 daily (17.5ml for 90g total water volume) and the sand looks super clean. I'll turn the lights on in three more days and then report back how things look after time. I plan to keep MB7 on the daily until day 14. Then it'll be part of the reg maintenance.

OP
OP
ChrisOFL

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of success was no uv to kill bacteria. I fought them for over a year and then nuked my 225 gallon tank and bleached everything. I tried it all. Set the tank up again in February and they are back. I even put some Florida live rock in there. I have slowly heated tank to 83 degrees and dosing kalkwasser to keep ph at 8.4. Running a uv but can’t see any difference. I added 12 spiny urchins and they are working it hard. Mine turn all rocks brown and only slimes on overflow , gyre, top of tank where most flow. Going to try your method and will keep you posted. I am thinking about a de filter instead of filter sock after stirring them up. I will keep you posted on if your method works. I calculated 108 clean and 52 Baxter 7 for 200 gallon system water total. I didn’t follow how many times weekly at the beginning while siphon cleaning. I will try anything to not repeat that heartbreak again. Funny thing is they barely show up on live rock. Mostly base rock which like yours was live rock a few years ago and then recycled
I hope it does work out for you, I can't imagine dealing with dinos for that long. To me it feels like the dosing of bacteria has matured my tank much faster, considering it is a bare bottom with 100% dry rock.

I'm in the process of something very similar:

Did a siphon/clean of the rocks/sand. It's been lights out for six days now, and I've been dosing MB7 daily (17.5ml for 90g total water volume) and the sand looks super clean. I'll turn the lights on in three more days and then report back how things look after time. I plan to keep MB7 on the daily until day 14. Then it'll be part of the reg maintenance.
If it does come back try adding the MB Clean with the MB7 like I suggested and let me know if it makes a difference. Good luck getting rid of yours as well.

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 120 ml MB clean and 60 ml MB7 twice so far last week and haven't seen a difference yet. My urchins are still eating it and I am dosing silicate weekly. Under microscope I do see a lot of diatoms, but dinos still going. My tank volume is 200 gallons total. I am running my UV and skimmer, but turning them off for 12 hours while dosing. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
ChrisOFL

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 120 ml MB clean and 60 ml MB7 twice so far last week and haven't seen a difference yet. My urchins are still eating it and I am dosing silicate weekly. Under microscope I do see a lot of diatoms, but dinos still going. My tank volume is 200 gallons total. I am running my UV and skimmer, but turning them off for 12 hours while dosing. Any thoughts?
Well only dosing for a week isn't necessarily long enough, it took 3 weeks before mine really went away but it may also do nothing for you. Maybe the UV is an issue with my method but I have no way of knowing one way or the other on that. It may take longer because your tank is bigger. I never identified my dinos so maybe it was just the species I had. Did you siphon your rocks off how I described to do it before each dosing? I made sure to always clean the rocks off before dosing, it's not as much work on my tank being only 75 gallons but I think it made a big difference in removing as much as I could.

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get the snotty stuff on rocks or sand bed. My rocks turned brown and in high flow areas like top inch of tank, overflows, and return pipes get them along with tubing feeding my UV. I scrub them off glass and overflow and remove and bleach clean my pipes weekly to remove as much as possible and Chang filter socks the next day. I am also running a cartridge filter that is about 5 microns and clean and bleach it every three days. That gets loaded with brown. I turkey baste the rocks daily, but the 12 urchins are chewing the rock almost white. I guess it would get snotty if I stopped cleaning but the idea is removal until bacteria outcompetes right. I am considering removing sand to take it out of the equation. What are your thoughts

OP
OP
ChrisOFL

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am usury a bare bottom guy but tried something different this go round
The sand is up to you, I actually like sand but I went bare bottom to have corals grow on the bottom. Otherwise I don't think I'd change anything about what you are doing right now.

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read an article today about a study on Ostreopsis Ovata, which is the spinning dino I have. The higher the temperature the more they reproduce, but the toxicity level goes down. I have noticed my fish look way better this time and eat more off the rocks probably because of this. The scientists thought that silicate dosing increased the diatom populations to outcompete, but they also found a ciliate that is found in the digestive system of a sea urchin that was reducing the numbers during the experiment by eating them. I am no scientist, but last battle with this same type all copepods were non existent even after buying them phytoplankton and bacteria about 10 times over the battle. I think the activated carbon helped detoxify, but probably fed them also. I turned off my UV and skimmer for my 3rd dose and plan on leaving it off for a few days to see what happens. I will post again in a few days. Definitely way more progress than last battle and sps corals still look great.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read an article today about a study on Ostreopsis Ovata, which is the spinning dino I have. The higher the temperature the more they reproduce, but the toxicity level goes down.
which article? link?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back