• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

A word of caution about Tom at Seaside Aquatics (Bubble Magus)

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. As the title says, this was specifically dealing with "Tom" at seaside aquatics, which, according to them, is the only actual distributor of Bubble Magus products in the USA. I will say that if you are able to deal with customer service from the point of sale company, your experience will probably be better.

I purchased a used ARF-M from the forums here. Halfway through the first roll, it was like the weave had changed to something much more dense. What had been working beautifully, was now overflowing overnight, every night. I would manually wind the wetside to bring "clean" filter in the water then unplug and plug the unit back in to reset it. What's more is that I noticed that the filter coming out of the water was almost completely clean. I did this everyday for a couple weeks along with making adjustments to try to fix the problem. Nothing worked.

I reached out to seaside and explained the situation and that this was a previously used unit. "Tom" was seemingly helpful at first asking about the depth of the unit and suggesting that the amount of flow could be a problem. I responded that the water level was ~2.75 inches and that my total GPH was less than 500 gph, so I didn't think those were issues, citing the recommended depth and maximum flow stats. He, less than cordially, requested pictures and the specs for my return pump. Which I sent, also sending the power level I run it at and the approximate head pressure calculations. I was also continuing to research the issue online where I found that other's were having the same trouble.

It is important to note here that, a few weeks before I started having this issue, I sent seaside aquatics an email asking if I could buy filter rolls directly from them and how much they would be. I did this because places in the US were sold out, at the time. This email went unanswered. I resigned to order them off of a "popular" shopping app that rhymes with "BaliExpress" because this was the only way I knew to get them.

The conversation took place over a couple weeks as "Tom" was usually not quick to respond. But, hey, maybe it's just one guy handling all of the customer service in the country. Anyway, the new rolls arrived from the international source. To my surprise and delight, the new roll worked perfectly (and they have been since)! I reached back out to "Tom" to tell him that there was no issue with the new rolls, to ask if there could have been any issues with the density of the mesh between production runs, and that I had seen where others had the same issue. This time, "Tom" sure did reply fast. He said that since I "purchased the product direct from China", I had to "ask them about customer service". That was it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I replied asking if that was his way of refusing further customer service, pointing out that this was service for an issue with products purchased in the USA that was fixed by a product purchased internationally. Of course, I did not hear back from "Tom". Although, I did not mention that my previous email requesting information on purchasing filter rolls directly from them, went ignored.

Maybe I am lucky, but I've never been refused customer service by anyone, let alone the "official" source and sole distributor of a product in the country. I believe "Tom" does not really care about his job nor the customers that keep him employed. Maybe he was just having a rough month and a half, but having earlier spent a large part of my working life in retail customer service, I cannot imagine the attitude or quality of help to be anywhere near acceptable for any business. Certainly not any that I worked for. I am definitely not "bend over for you backwards" nice, but I am polite and considerate and all I expect is the same in return. Honestly, I am even good with being casual. I just don't appreciate rudeness.

I really didn't want much. I just wanted to get my roller to function the way it's supposed to. I also appreciate that he, at first, was willing to help me with a previously used product. By the end, all I wanted was a little insight to avoid problematic filter rolls. I handed him an opportunity for continued business directly with them. Apparently, merely asking if there could have been an issue was too much for "Tom". With apologies to Aqua Cave and others, I suppose that from now on I will have to order internationally to be sure I get a properly dense filter roll.

Thanks for reading my post. I hope your experience is better. I really don't like to say all this because I love the ARF-M and the Curve 5 skimmer I have and while this is certainly not devastating or totally d*mning info, I think it's important to share a companies level of customer service. Good or bad.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently had one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. As the title says, this was specifically dealing with "Tom" at seaside aquatics, which, according to them, is the only actual distributor of Bubble Magus products in the USA. I will say that if you are able to deal with customer service from the point of sale company, your experience will probably be better.

I purchased a used ARF-M from the forums here. Halfway through the first roll, it was like the weave had changed to something much more dense. What had been working beautifully, was now overflowing overnight, every night. I would manually wind the wetside to bring "clean" filter in the water then unplug and plug the unit back in to reset it. What's more is that I noticed that the filter coming out of the water was almost completely clean. I did this everyday for a couple weeks along with making adjustments to try to fix the problem. Nothing worked.

I reached out to seaside and explained the situation and that this was a previously used unit. "Tom" was seemingly helpful at first asking about the depth of the unit and suggesting that the amount of flow could be a problem. I responded that the water level was ~2.75 inches and that my total GPH was less than 500 gph, so I didn't think those were issues, citing the recommended depth and maximum flow stats. He, less than cordially, requested pictures and the specs for my return pump. Which I sent, also sending the power level I run it at and the approximate head pressure calculations. I was also continuing to research the issue online where I found that other's were having the same trouble.

It is important to note here that, a few weeks before I started having this issue, I sent seaside aquatics an email asking if I could buy filter rolls directly from them and how much they would be. I did this because places in the US were sold out, at the time. This email went unanswered. I resigned to order them off of a "popular" shopping app that rhymes with "BaliExpress" because this was the only way I knew to get them.

The conversation took place over a couple weeks as "Tom" was usually not quick to respond. But, hey, maybe it's just one guy handling all of the customer service in the country. Anyway, the new rolls arrived from the international source. To my surprise and delight, the new roll worked perfectly (and they have been since)! I reached back out to "Tom" to tell him that there was no issue with the new rolls, to ask if there could have been any issues with the density of the mesh between production runs, and that I had seen where others had the same issue. This time, "Tom" sure did reply fast. He said that since I "purchased the product direct from China", I had to "ask them about customer service". That was it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I replied asking if that was his way of refusing further customer service, pointing out that this was service for an issue with products purchased in the USA that was fixed by a product purchased internationally. Of course, I did not hear back from "Tom". Although, I did not mention that my previous email requesting information on purchasing filter rolls directly from them, went ignored.

Maybe I am lucky, but I've never been refused customer service by anyone, let alone the "official" source and sole distributor of a product in the country. I believe "Tom" does not really care about his job nor the customers that keep him employed. Maybe he was just having a rough month and a half, but having earlier spent a large part of my working life in retail customer service, I cannot imagine the attitude or quality of help to be anywhere near acceptable for any business. Certainly not any that I worked for. I am definitely not "bend over for you backwards" nice, but I am polite and considerate and all I expect is the same in return. Honestly, I am even good with being casual. I just don't appreciate rudeness.

I really didn't want much. I just wanted to get my roller to function the way it's supposed to. I also appreciate that he, at first, was willing to help me with a previously used product. By the end, all I wanted was a little insight to avoid problematic filter rolls. I handed him an opportunity for continued business directly with them. Apparently, merely asking if there could have been an issue was too much for "Tom". With apologies to Aqua Cave and others, I suppose that from now on I will have to order internationally to be sure I get a properly dense filter roll.

Thanks for reading my post. I hope your experience is better. I really don't like to say all this because I love the ARF-M and the Curve 5 skimmer I have and while this is certainly not devastating or totally d*mning info, I think it's important to share a companies level of customer service. Good or bad.
Unfortunately per R2R rules, we cannot comment on vendors as it is between you and vendor
While I see this as unfortunate, in this hobby, most things are worked out amicably.
If you paid via PayPal or bank card, file a dispute “ item not as advertised “ and take it from there

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTDT. I live not too far from seaside, even picked up parts from them. Tom is his actual name and yes they are the only distributor for Bubble Magus in the US. I have two of the BM rollers in service. It's the media, it's garbage, there was a change somewhere in the last 18 months. Look up my post about the filter rollers, I've tried all that exist. I ended up buying media from precision coolant paper in Michigan, better price and actual customer service.

OP
OP
TheDorkLord

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTDT. I live not too far from seaside, even picked up parts from them. Tom is his actual name and yes they are the only distributor for Bubble Magus in the US. I have two of the BM rollers in service. It's the media, it's garbage, there was a change somewhere in the last 18 months. Look up my post about the filter rollers, I've tried all that exist. I ended up buying media from precision coolant paper in Michigan, better price and actual customer service.

Yessir, yours was one of the posts I ran accross. Thank you for the recommendation too!

OP
OP
TheDorkLord

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately per R2R rules, we cannot comment on vendors as it is between you and vendor
While I see this as unfortunate, in this hobby, most things are worked out amicably.
If you paid via PayPal or bank card, file a dispute “ item not as advertised “ and take it from there

Hi, totally get it. This is more a review of a companies customer service than an issue with a product to be refunded or disputed. In fact, I believe the admins were astute enough to realize that I posted in the wrong category and moved it to "vendor feedback". Lol, there is nothing to work out. I am just telling about my customer service experience.

Thanks though!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back