A word of praise for the Brine Shrimp "Hatchery Dish"

Cayenne1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought this myself. I got lazy and decided to try it with just some of my reef water since itd be going back in my tank anyways with the brine and within 24 hours i was getting lots of shrimp! Pretty impressed with this to say the least. My only little "gripe" is that i feel the baby brine are super tiny so only my smallest corals might get one or two of them

Yes, baby brine shrimp are tiny, but I was able to use that fact to feed newly hatched clown fish in the 80's. Little was published back then on how to raise the fry.

I had a breeding clownfish pair I collected in the Arabian Gulf back before the wars. They spawned every month, but couldn't get any to live until I fed them brine shrimp immediately after both the shrimp and the clowns hatched. With the multiple shrimp hatchers, I was able to work it out. Note that I wouldn't recommend this approach today as there are better ways to feed newly hatched clowns.

But, my success was short lived. The first Gulf War broke out and I lost power, a/c, all my fish and any chance to go back to get more.

By the way, the tiny ones get bigger as they absorb their yoke sacks. Thus too big for baby clowns. If you want to grow them bigger, that becomes a lot more complicated.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, the tiny ones get bigger as they absorb their yoke sacks. Thus too big for baby clowns. If you want to grow them bigger, that becomes a lot more complicated.
So to get them to absorb their yoke sacks, do you just wait a bit longer before turning on the light and harvesting? I just bought one of these dishes in hopes that I would be able to get some threadfin cardinalfish that stopped eating to eat something, anything again. I have never had success in getting one eating again after it stops taking mysis. They are small fish but likely much bigger than baby clowns.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back