A Xenia Refugium: Pulsing Xenia as a method of filtration?

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes

Votes: 104 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 120 14.7%
  • Maybe considering the set up

Votes: 150 18.4%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 429 52.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.6%

• Total voters

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a Xenia refugium. I saw this when I first started to research saltwater tanks many years ago and feel in love. In my big tank right now I have a rock island with xenia on it and I also think when I start up my fuge you're going in there to start it out. I just have fears of having a refugium and so I've never started it.
I used to have those fears also because I e never had one I bit the bullet 6months ago and I’m glad I did it’s was easy and very rewarding

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a display refugium that will have xenia and waving hands. I covered my nano tank with waving hands and my nutrients stay at zero. I run all kinds of experiments on my nano tank, and dosing an obscene (0.5 oz per gallon) amount of phyto doesn't spike PO4 like I thought it would, and the SPS corals I have in there are thriving. Who knows if it will work for my mixed reef DT, but I like the look of them and they seem to grow well in my DT on the frag rack. The main reason for the display refugium is to put fish I catch that will eat my SPS and gorgonias. The overflow will go into the sock in my sump, so I doubt the xenia will get into my DT anyway.
nano.jpg
DT.jpg

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a fairly large rock island of pulsing exina in my display and on occasion I do find small "frags" in places around the tank. I just reach in and pull the littel guys off. I throw them in my sump/refugium and once in a while I sell the decent size frags for about 5 - 10$ to local guys. They are not hard to keep in check.

I love xenia; when my tank matures I want to add xenia and am wondering how far from your other rocks is your rock island? Got a pic? I've created a couple islands but, not sure they are far enough away from my main rocks. I've heard if your xenia does well, it will spread like wildfire.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my tanks is the same as the picture of the xenia tank at the start of this article, its taken over, but my water still goes bad at the same rate as my other tanks, so no i do not think it would make a great filter, but it does look nice

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading alot about it (and people also used aptasia) as part of trizonal setups but I think mostly in "duplex sumps".

Wasn't the purpose to replace mechanical filter (sponge/sock)? I believe it was skimmer-> xenia(or aptasia) -> macro algae ->benthic ?

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I have xenia island in my DT but I may throw some in my fuge to see. why not = )

Just asked Thomas Wieczorek this question also, very curious. I love xenia; when my tank matures I want to add xenia and am wondering how far from your other rocks is your rock island? Got a pic? I've created a couple islands but, not sure they are far enough away from my main rocks. I've heard if your xenia does well, it will spread like wildfire.

ReefingFamily

"It's all about the colors"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for many years without migration just not sure of how it would benefit the tank.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back