A Xenia Refugium: Pulsing Xenia as a method of filtration?

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes

Votes: 104 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 120 14.7%
  • Maybe considering the set up

Votes: 150 18.4%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 429 52.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's beautiful and it's pulsing polyps are memorizing! But is it just a weed in your tank or something more? Let's talk today about pulsing xenia and it's effectiveness as a method of filtration or not. So let me know what you think!

1. Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

2. Have you ever considered setting up a xenia refugium?

3. Do you think xenia would end up in your main display?

Xenia tank image via @Trex
Untitled-7.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Side question, if you have xenia in the fuge, but not in the display, what are the odds of it eventually making it's way to the display?

Added that as the third question! That would be my fear. I would think if you had a layer of protection between the refugium and the main tank you could lessen the chances. Like a xenia nano that drained into the refugum section of your sump or something like that.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added that as the third question! That would be my fear. I would think if you had a layer of protection between the refugium and the main tank you could lessen the chances. Like a xenia nano that drained into the refugum section of your sump or something like that.

would a UV steriliser after the refugium prevent the Xenia from spreading to the DT?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question, if you have xenia in the fuge, but not in the display, what are the odds of it eventually making it's way to the display?

I've had xenia across multiple tanks for years. i have never had it migrate from one connected tank to another. It seems to split by pedal fission. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that for me it hasn't.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a Xenia refugium. I saw this when I first started to research saltwater tanks many years ago and feel in love. In my big tank right now I have a rock island with xenia on it and I also think when I start up my fuge you're going in there to start it out. I just have fears of having a refugium and so I've never started it.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one stunning reef tank, I’ve always admired this coral, the way it pulses is just fascinating. In answer to your main question is yes, have encountered a few fellow reefers that swear by it.

U

User1

View Badges

I would say 95% chance but it honestly depends on the flow. As a Xenia owner it isn't uncommon to find pieces floating around landing on the other side of the tank. I'm not sure if it falls off as it tries to spread from one source to another or if a fish is causing it or my urchin. Or if that is just Mother Nature and how it can also spread on its own. I've read other people seeing it do it as well so believe there is more to it than that.

I've seen systems with a Xenia compartment plumbed in and they do export nutrients. I seem to recall that thread on another forum but in any case it didn't bring it down equally to how chaeto algae, or similar, does. Still one of the more mesmerizing corals out there and a best seller overall. For a good reason.

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a fairly large rock island of pulsing exina in my display and on occasion I do find small "frags" in places around the tank. I just reach in and pull the littel guys off. I throw them in my sump/refugium and once in a while I sell the decent size frags for about 5 - 10$ to local guys. They are not hard to keep in check.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?
No. Chaeto is better. Not going to fix something that is not broken.

2. Have you ever considered setting up a xenia refugium? No

3. Do you think xenia would end up in your main display? Yes

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have xenia in my frag tank but when my nitrate was low I started dosing Potassium Nitrate. The xenia slowly melted away and it's completely gone now. Also a few Montipora frags started dieing back.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back