A Xenia Refugium: Pulsing Xenia as a method of filtration?

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes

Votes: 104 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 120 14.7%
  • Maybe considering the set up

Votes: 150 18.4%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 429 52.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.6%

• Total voters

Loverman Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be talking about these

DE95D0E5-CE8F-45F8-AAA3-395A7ED61266.jpeg
I think so ? What kind is it ?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents, if corals could spread from the sump to display, wouldn’t they be able to travel to the sump from display too if so? Can’t say I ever heard of a coral ending up in the sump. Although I’m sure it’s happened before but I’ve never seen it personally or heard of it. I’ve seen tanks with clavularia taking over but sump remained clean.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you selling any frags? I own a small 29 gallon and lost most of my

If you were closer, I'd give you a piece of shroom, zenia, GSP and kenya tree (none are worth shipping cost IMO). That tank has been up and running for like 7/8 years. I upgraded the LEDs in the hood (2 channel, white and blue), installed a small inline UV on the left return (haven't replaced the bulb but once, not sure how effective it currently is) and what I believe is an old version of the aquamaxx HOB skimmer which has the pump in the left chamber and the waterfall returning to the center, dumping back into the standard filter chamber which I normally keep a small chemipure elite in (definitely needs changed out due to some hair algae). I've never been able to keep anything but softies in this tank as the par is only around 150. Please excuse that 3rd sentence, it just kept getting longer and longer and not worth rewriting.

I've been wanting to tear it down and clean it out, but you know what they say... if it isn't broke, don't fix it. There must be thousands of brittle star fish living in the rocks, definitely outnumbering the bristle worms.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not consider using Xenia in a refuge for filtration. I prefer something more practical as some species of algae. The advantage would be some algae are easily harvested and can be used as a food source. Also, by keeping algae it is easy to determine by the dry weight what and how much I have removed from the tank. This way the nutrients content can be controlled by using a for a nutrient modified F2 medium for growing the algae.
In a small closed environment, the toxin production of a species is important. Most organisms and species produce some kind of toxin to protect themselves and provide space. In nature, the effect is limited to the immediate environment but in a closed system they may build up, certainly when one species becomes dominant or became dominant because of the toxin production, other organisms may be suppressed by the toxins. About algae, a lot of research has been done concerning the capacity as a bio-filter and toxin production, to be used as a bio-filter in aquaculture systems. Xenia produces toxins, and not so much is known about it, as they are not very sticky but are able to dominate, the toxin production may be important and may suppress certain competitors for space.
As Xenia also reproduces sexually one may suspect they may end up in the main display if no screen filter is used.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your or anybody knows of the variety of xenia that's easily controllable in a display I would like to know ?
Maybe worth a read?
"Down the Drain" by Shimek

Or a glance at the images..

Screenshot_20200408-190638_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200408-190941_Chrome.jpg

Thank you for sharing this!

According to Eric Borneman's book "Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History: Selection, Husbandry and Natural History" (paraphrase) Xenia are one of the first colonizers of a reef . They live in areas of high nutrient concentrations like hotel drains. They clean the waters for life to flourish.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered yes because the question was is it effective. Sure it's effective. Just not as good as macro algae.

my .02

Ricky_Reef

Diamond Goby Lover/Hater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly are xenia going to remove nutrients, I mean whatever they consume is going to be put right back into the tank as waste, right??? Or do we murder a handful each week and throw it in the trash? Lol

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite topics.

Absolutely it will work as a primary filter for your reef. I've been using it for almost 20 years. As a result of its efficiency my system is stable, skimmerless, and virtually maintenance free. I only do water changes once ever 6 months or so. It has been this way for many years without a hiccup. When I switched to my current system in 2016 I lost my entire Xenia population, only because I had to take it off line while I waited for my new tanks to be made/delivered from Planet Aquarium, and so I went with a Vertex 250 skimmer while I was waiting for the Xenia to regrow to a size that could handle the new 550+ gallons. Once it they did I was back to "skimmerless" again. It is truly amazing how well it has worked for me, and it isn't accidental it is deliberate. I have always kept it in a separate tank far enough from the display so that a floater wont accidentally find its way up. Because it does have the potential to take over your DT if it makes it way to a power head.

Everyone has a different definition of a "successful tank". We each create our own living artwork.

For me a successful system is one that is stable and deliberate so my inhabitants can live a long and health life.

This was my old system a 240 (8x2x2) that was skimmerless. Unfortunately I had to upgrade because the clam was getting too big to fit through the center braces, and it would frequently blow water out of the tank or on the light fixtures. I lost several MH bulbs because of it.
Aug.2004-Aug.2016
P1140669_zpsa9ucovej.jpg

Current Setup
20180728_130739.jpg

20190808_182512.jpg

2019051895193414.jpg

Xenia Refugium: I don't have a video of the new Xenia fuge but it is identical to this one on my old system.

What light did you use on your xenia refugium?

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light did you use on your xenia refugium?

In the video it was a single 10K 150 watt MH. But I switched back and forth between 10k and 14K. Here is what it looked like under 14K.

Now I am using a single SB Reef value fixture. I get same growth rate as the MH with less wattage. Plus it gives the Xenia a better color contrast which seems to make them sell quicker.

Scott Campbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have grown and harvested Xenia as export for many years. The overflow from my refugium drains into a sump shared with the display tank. I have never had Xenia migrate beyond the refugium. Currently grow macroalgae on the left side of the refugium, Xenia on the right side and various corals in the center. All are easily harvested and all can be traded for supplies at the local fish store. You don't really have to choose between Xenia and macroalgae.

That said - the macroalgae certainly grows more quickly.

20200409_220640.jpg

IT reef keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have xenia in my main display mixed with other corals like Kenya trees, acroporas, monti, anthelia, pocilloporas and rodactis, no skimmer, no filter and the tank is a red sea max nano. All good for the time being and I manage to keep xenia under control. Water parameters spot on. Might be the xenia contributing to that hard to say, my experience so far the mix works.

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be cool to try except they might blow up in the main tank. Is there another coral that would work?

Cl0wnfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's beautiful and it's pulsing polyps are memorizing! But is it just a weed in your tank or something more? Let's talk today about pulsing xenia and it's effectiveness as a method of filtration or not. So let me know what you think!

1. Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

2. Have you ever considered setting up a xenia refugium?

3. Do you think xenia would end up in your main display?

Xenia tank image via @Trex
Untitled-7.jpg
I do not think it would work as a “good” means of filtration compared to other things that can go in a refuge and yes I believe 100% Xenia would end up in the display so if that’s not what you want then I wouldn’t!

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued together my display refugium yesterday (actually the first time I had a leak so technically I RE-siliconed). It seems to be holding water, so I am on my way to a Xenia/Waving Hands Fuge. My main reason for this Fuge is to keep fish I catch locally in it that would eat my corals, but initially it will house the 15 Bengaii cardinals that were born a little over a month ago since my breeding Bengaii mated again a week ago and I will need my breeder for him soon. I plan to put the Fuge in front of a window that gets sunlight in the mornings, and probably only have the Xenia/Hands growing on a few rocks along the bottom and up the overflow side that will not get light. I will try to find a used Kessil 160 and gooseneck deal on ebay to hook up to that side since it will be at the end of the cabinet that is not in front of the window (sort of to hide the overflow and hoses). My wife doesn't like my hobby obstructing her view, so I will leave the part in front of the window empty for fish to swim around and still give her the view through it (the window is about 12 feet long so this shouldn't really be too much of an obstruction anyway).

tank water testing now.
tank test.jpg

Cabinet it will be on.
Stand.jpg

Babies in breeder box now.
babies 2.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back