A80 Tuna Blue vs Ai HD Prime

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an A80 Tuna Blue Kessil light over my 16 gallon Bio Cube. I'm looking to replace it with an Ai HD Prime, however I'm reading a lot about the lenses melting and that the fans are really loud. Can anyone give me advice on either of these for growing corals?

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like LEDs as a main source of lighting - depending on what you’re trying to grow. If just LPS and softies then led is fine. But, I’d still opt for something more effective like a halide/led hybrid. Change halide bulb out once every 10 months. Stronger coral.

im in the process of getting rid of my T5/led hybrid and switching to halide led. Do some research on halides if you haven’t!

I have 4 hydra 32s - all the lens melted.

Upvote 0

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primes are fine for growing coral. I haven’t had one since probably early 2021 but I’ve never had a problem with them. They’re actually one of my favorite lights. As for melting lenses I can’t really comment on that. You could always try finding a used hydra on here. Even though it’s the same pucks I haven’t heard of lenses melting on the hydras

Upvote 0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like LEDs as a main source of lighting - depending on what you’re trying to grow. If just LPS and softies then led is fine. But, I’d still opt for something more effective like a halide/led hybrid. Change halide bulb out once every 10 months. Stronger coral.

im in the process of getting rid of my T5/led hybrid and switching to halide led. Do some research on halides if you haven’t!

I have 4 hydra 32s - all the lens melted.

What reliable source of quality halide gear do you know of that would be appropriate for what is essentially a nano tank?

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prime is a way more powerful light than the a80, and you will not regret buying it. A replacement lens is like $5-10. They are extremely easy to replace and it's a small price to pay for a light that is way more useful. I struggled with this same decision. Prime won hands down. It's a nice little light.

I have mine on a 15 gallon tank. I have it set at about 50% and it's great. Not too loud.

Upvote 0

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four prime 16hds and they do indeed melt lenses over the uv and violet diodes. The fans are also incredibly cheap and noisy. They do grow coral well and the app is easy to use but I would not recommend due to the build quality issues.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three prime 16hds and they do indeed melt lenses over the uv and violet diodes. The fans are also incredibly cheap and noisy. They do grow coral well and the app is easy to use but I would not recommend due to the build quality issues.
Do you run yours at high intensity? I don't find the fan on mine to be particularly loud.

Upvote 0

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run yours at high intensity? I don't find the fan on mine to be particularly loud.
Nope. I run them pretty low now, especially the purple channels. I've replaced the fans with noctuas and can't even tell they're on.
Screenshot_20220624-130406.png

Upvote 0

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reliable source of quality halide gear do you know of that would be appropriate for what is essentially a nano tank?
This one

I like to think ahead too though - when I upgrade my tank size, or even when my corals grow larger.. I don’t like the way the industry has shoved millions of products down our throats when the simple stuff still works the best and doesn’t add all the layers of complexity that are not needed.

Upvote 0

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Kessil A160WE tuna blue over my 13.5 gallon EVO and have been happy with it for 2 years now. A bit pricey when you consider adding the $100 controller to it but you can pick one up used for a pretty decent price normally. A lot of folks have had good luck with the Nicrew lights so maybe look into one of those and save some cash. It comes down to budget and what type of coral you have and want in the future. I forgot to mention that I first bought a AI HD Prime for my EVO and ended up returning it due to issues with the app and I thought the Kessil made the tank look better but that was just my preference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since a recent update the 16/32/64’s max overdrive on uv and violet is reduced to basically nothing helping the lenses from melting. So basically instead of fixing the problem which is the lens they have just de tuned it. I personally like the lights and I have 4 16’s but I can tell you if you run the lights over 35-40w they are incredibly loud!

Upvote 0

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four prime 16hds and they do indeed melt lenses over the uv and violet diodes. The fans are also incredibly cheap and noisy. They do grow coral well and the app is easy to use but I would not recommend due to the build quality issues.
Same thing happened to me.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha back in the day I had a 22 gallon tank with no sump and a 250w radium overhead. Talk about a chiller that ran constantly. Grew acros like crazy though...

Upvote 0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one

I like to think ahead too though - when I upgrade my tank size, or even when my corals grow larger.. I don’t like the way the industry has shoved millions of products down our throats when the simple stuff still works the best and doesn’t add all the layers of complexity that are not needed.

On that we will have to agree to disagree. I’ve used plenty of halides over the years. 250 watts of MH over a nano tank that may not even be sps dominant is entirely unnecessary. It’s wasted energy at that point. If it were still easy to find nano halide units like the Bimini sun or sub 100 watt units of decent quality, I’d certainly have no problem recommending that as an option. I’ve gotta laugh at a 15” 250 watt pendant with supplements for a 16 gallon nano. That would throw more light outside the tank than inside. Not going on an “led is better” rant here, It’s just a silly recommendation. Nano halide gear has gone the way of the dinosaurs in our hobby (outside of fire hazard eBay specials)

Upvote 0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha back in the day I had a 22 gallon tank with no sump and a 250w radium overhead. Talk about a chiller that ran constantly. Grew acros like crazy though...

I’d bet the 150 watt version would have done just as well. Or a 150 watt 12,000k reeflux. Shame they’re not still around

Upvote 0

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that we will have to agree to disagree. I’ve used plenty of halides over the years. 250 watts of MH over a nano tank that may not even be sps dominant is entirely unnecessary. It’s wasted energy at that point. If it were still easy to find nano halide units like the Bimini sun or sub 100 watt units of decent quality, I’d certainly have no problem recommending that as an option. I’ve gotta laugh at a 15” 250 watt pendant with supplements for a 16 gallon nano. That would throw more light outside the tank than inside. Not going on an “led is better” rant here, It’s just a silly recommendation. Nano halide gear has gone the way of the dinosaurs in our hobby (outside of fire hazard eBay specials)
I get what you’re saying entirely, and I agree with you. Just realizing that OP is not even at 20 gallons. However, I do think LED should only be supplemental and not the main source. For a 16g I get it - but eventually once the hobbyist expands— led should not be the primary source in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you’re saying entirely, and I agree with you. Just realizing that OP is not even at 20 gallons. However, I do think LED should only be supplemental and not the main source. For a 16g I get it - but eventually once the hobbyist expands— led should not be the primary source in my opinion.

I really love halides too, but have you tried modern led fixtures on a reef of your own? They have improved a whole lot in the last decade. I couldn't justify running halides on a nano given how well the current LEDs work. And I loved running massive halides on my nano in the past. Honestly I don't know that I will ever run my halides again. You better believe that I'm keeping those lumenarc 3 reflectors and halide ballasts that I have in storage though. Just in case.

Upvote 1
Back