AAAAHHH!!!! Achievement unlocked: "Butterfingers" (bubble magus curve 7 carnage)

rustylugnuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I've had a fun morning. I had finished unboxing my new protein skimmer and was picking it up to open the body of the skimmer to begin assembly when I dropped it about 18 inches down onto the hardwood floor.

20210924_102529.jpg
20210924_102550.jpg

If only the base plate had fifth ear sticking out.

It seems to be a relatively clean break so I've got some weldon 4 on the way.
Edit: Scigrip 16 seems to be a fair bit cheaper and ships much faster.

Last edited:

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I've had a fun morning. I had finished unboxing my new protein skimmer and was picking it up to open the body of the skimmer to begin assembly when I dropped it about 18 inches down onto the hardwood floor.

20210924_102529.jpg
20210924_102550.jpg

If only the base plate had fifth ear sticking out.

It seems to be a relatively clean break so I've got some weldon 4 on the way.
Edit: Scigrip 16 seems to be a fair bit cheaper and ships much faster.

Ouch.

Nothing worse then crashing your brand new car.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I feel your pain but not as bad about a month ago I got a brand new MP 40 took it out of the box and it slipped out of my hand hit the floor and broke the wet side before It ever got wet :(

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I feel your pain but not as bad about a month ago I got a brand new MP 40 took it out of the box and it slipped out of my hand hit the floor and broke the wet side before It ever got wet :(
Considering Mobius only works 50% of the time, you shouldn’t be too hard on yourself...

OP
OP
rustylugnuts

rustylugnuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally seen customers drive off the show room and smash their mustang a half a block away from the dealer
Got one better, my salesman crashed my new MX-5 in front of the dealership and left in an ambulance before I got the keys.
Ouch.
Long live rwd manual trans coupes!

OP
OP
rustylugnuts

rustylugnuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right! some rebranded weldon showed up yesterday and I've just gotten around to gluing this poor thing back together. I'm not sure if I used enough glue or not but I was trying to avoid a runny mess. We'll see on sunday if its tough enough for use. The easiest way to remove the collection cup is to press down on the riser tube supported by the broken section with your thumb while lifting under the cup with your index and middle finger so unfortunately it kind of is a load bearing piece. Worst case, If i can't order just a new body ( I haven't recieved a reply from bubble magus yet), I'll have a bunch of spare parts for another curve 7 :rolleyes:

bblmagus-repair.jpg

bblmagus-repair close.jpg

OP
OP
rustylugnuts

rustylugnuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news to report. I got a good bond despite the messy seam. It seemed pretty sturdy but I didn't want to stress it enough to find out if it was good as new or not so I went ahead and placed it in the tank.
bblmagus cured 1.jpg

bblmagus cured.jpg

I gotta say upgrading from an SCA- 302 this thing runs super quiet. The other thing I notice right away is a massive reduction of bubbles in the sump. The old skimmer was interfering with the optical sensor on the ATO and causing it to over fill until I stacked some rocks around it to block some of the microbubbles.

bblmagus installed.jpg

So overall happy ending i guess. Time will tell how well the repair will hold.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to glue it and get it back in operation.

I had my turn for some butterfingers yesterday.

I was testing my quarantine tank as I am getting ready for a new Naso Tang, and my Tropic Marin Hydrometer slipped from between my fingers and EXPLODED sending millions of tiny shards of glass everywhere.

no chance I can glue that thing back together though, and I will be picking tiny glass shards up off the floor for weeks I am sure.

I loved that hydrometer, there aren't many things in the testing side of this hobby that just WORK with zero fuss.

I swept up what I could yesterday (some pieces made it 10 feet away) but I found a piece with my foot this morning. :mad:

OP
OP
rustylugnuts

rustylugnuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to glue it and get it back in operation.

I had my turn for some butterfingers yesterday.

I was testing my quarantine tank as I am getting ready for a new Naso Tang, and my Tropic Marin Hydrometer slipped from between my fingers and EXPLODED sending millions of tiny shards of glass everywhere.

no chance I can glue that thing back together though, and I will be picking tiny glass shards up off the floor for weeks I am sure.

I loved that hydrometer, there aren't many things in the testing side of this hobby that just WORK with zero fuss.

I swept up what I could yesterday (some pieces made it 10 feet away) but I found a piece with my foot this morning. :mad:
Ooof! I feel you . Something you do hundreds of times with no problems then that one time auto pilot just glitches and then *shatter*

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back