OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was an exciting day. My firefish and blenny left quarantine and graduated to the display tank. I dropped acclimated them for more than an hour and transferred them in with the lights dimmed. The blenny darted away instantly but the firefish checked things out a bit before finding a hole. I was a little worried about how the clowns would react but when the firefish came around the clowns, there was no drama which is very good. I will try to post pics tomorrow if they are out and about the tank.

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish actually were out and visible. Here is my firefish in his new home.

IMG_5005.JPG

And surprisingly my blenny was even out (sort of). His little head was peaking out of the rock work right in the front of my tank.

IMG_5004.JPG

Here they both are together:

IMG_5003.JPG

So overall I think they like their new home. And no bullying signs form the clowns either which is great.

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a long time since my last update. I have mainly been waiting to get enough money for my lighting. Finally I have half of it in place. I have one AI Prime right now and plan to get a second.

I also built a new cover for my tank. It did not come out great. If anyone has built a screen top before with notches around equipment like mine, I would love to hear how they made it work.

IMG_5186.JPG

I also got my first corals. They are all softies because my alkalinity right now is too low for LPS corals. Below are a couple of pictures of them.

IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5187.JPG

So its a start. Hopefully they start to grow and thrive. You can also see in the pictures that I am getting some browns fouling on the sand since I turned the lights on. I hope its just dynos that go away in a couple of weeks.

Lastly my firefish has been out of his perpetual hiding spot lately. At first I thought he had finally gotten the confidence to come out in public. Now that I look though, my new rock flower anemone has taken up residence in his old spot. So I guess he got kicked out of his home. I have other caves in my aquascape but so far he seems to be ignoring them. I hope this doesn't become a problem.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also built a new cover for my tank. It did not come out great. If anyone has built a screen top before with notches around equipment like mine, I would love to hear how they made it work.
Here’s what I did. I bought 5/16 mesh from an online fish store and I bought a window screen kit. I made a rectangular shape to cover most of the area, then I used egg crate to make the part where the equipment is. It holds a lot better than the mesh kit.

AEB79407-04B4-42D4-B380-815142A7B00F.jpeg

7CE074B6-84B0-4D93-B357-76F1606BDB7D.jpeg

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I did. I bought 5/16 mesh from an online fish store and I bought a window screen kit. I made a rectangular shape to cover most of the area, then I used egg crate to make the part where the equipment is. It holds a lot better than the mesh kit.

AEB79407-04B4-42D4-B380-815142A7B00F.jpeg

7CE074B6-84B0-4D93-B357-76F1606BDB7D.jpeg
This is a great looking solution. I am going to have to think about how I would implement it though because I have my lights on the back of the tank but my HOB filtration on the side. Still it gives me a good idea to run with. Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back