Able or not to use this rock

Lonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use this rock found on my property for my saltwater reef/fish tank? I watched a video on YouTube that said to test it with my nitrate testing solution. The rock did react. But the guy at the LFS said that it would be ok for saltwater aquariums. I’m thoroughly cleaning and bleaching these rocks. I guess my question is will this rock keep producing and raising my pH constantly over time. I would really like to use it if there’s a way that I can control the pH. If anyone has any experience with us, I would appreciate any advice. I’m really in a hurry to get this tank set up, but don’t want to continue if the end result is not good. I have a few pieces of dry live rock from the LFS but not enough for the 75 gallon tank I’m preparing.

image.jpg image.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in the USA did you get the rocks? I live in SW Florida and have used rocks off my property here, which is ancient reef rock.

I'd suggest when you are done cleaning them, put them in a bucket, a Brute garbage can or a spare tank and fill it with normal SG tank water and a pump. then give it a couple of weeks and test the water for everything.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back