Abnormal poo

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I purchased 2 fish from my lfs (clown fish and a diamond goby) and have them in my qt setup. Today I noticed some funky looking poo. I can't say it's white and stringy, but definitely not normal. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to treat it? Internal worms maybe? These fish have already been thru copper and tomorrow they will recieve their last dose of prazi. I have also been feeding food dosed with metroplex and ound by focus for the last week.

20211009_172515.jpg 20211009_172554.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see in the photos, it may just be mucus mixed with the feces. Do you know which fish it came from? What foods are you feeding them?
Jay

OP
OP

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see in the photos, it may just be mucus mixed with the feces. Do you know which fish it came from? What foods are you feeding them?
Jay
I don't know which fish it was from but I suspect the clown. I feed them a variety of fish frenzy, pe mysis, new life spectrum pellets, and brine shrimp (once a week). Could ot be the mysis shrimp and brine shrimp have something to do with this....and my fish is perfectly healthy?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know which fish it was from but I suspect the clown. I feed them a variety of fish frenzy, pe mysis, new life spectrum pellets, and brine shrimp (once a week). Could ot be the mysis shrimp and brine shrimp have something to do with this....and my fish is perfectly healthy?
In some cases, we aren't able to determine why the mucus shows up. I generally hear that feeding mysids can cause it and I know that frozen brine shrimp can clear it out, so your fish's diet doesn't seem to follow either of those, since you are feeding both.

Internal worms don't usually cause mucus/string feces, they just shed tiny eggs. Bacteria and protozoans can cause mucus, as can dietary issues.

This article talks a little bit about mucus in feces (the PDF link is on the right of the page).

Metro and Focus, despite what everyone hears, really can't work - the dose for metro needs to be around 5000 ppm in the food, and at that rate, it is so bitter, the fish won't eat it. If your fish are eating it, the dose is too low.

In the absence of other symptoms, I would just finish the prazi and watch for any new symptoms.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back