About ready for reefing.

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have got my 32g setup done and cycled. picture of it setup attached. I ended up spending more than originally budgeted for :grinning-face-with-sweat:which is fine, but I like the aesthetic.

I am planning to stock as follows and wanted to know if adding the fish in pairs is a good idea instead of adding all at once. Like adding two clowns later adding gramma and fire fish and later flame and goby. Does that sound like a good rule of thumb so no ammonia explosions happen? Any specific times you guys would add like how long after the first clowns are added? and am I at my stock limit with the fish I want to add?

This will be a reef tank later on I'm waiting to add coral and anemones. I'm using IO reef crystals.

I do plan to Quarantine the fish.

I have been running the lights for a week now during cycling they were off. I'm running them now so CUC has some food to eat. Is that a good idea? Do I need to Quarantine the CUC at all?

My next question is I want opinions on hermits and emerald crab. I'm worried they might kill some of the snails or harm fish. Are hermits/emerald worth to have at all?

Are there any other CUC am I missing that will be a good addition?

Stock list
pair of clowns
royal gramma
firefish
flamehawk
goby

Trochus Snails
Cerith Snails
nassirus snails
fire shrimp
skunk cleaner shrimp
emerald crab?
hermits?

reef tank.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get a flame hawk if you want shrimps. Also what goby? I don't think it matters but they are a very diverse family. I would recommend adding the royal gramma second to last and clowns last. They tend to be territorial.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definately should not add them all at once. Slowly, and spaced apart, each time you add something to your tank, the tank needs to get used to it.

Your stocking list looks good to me, I also have a 32 gallon, personally I feel that 5-6 fish is the limit for my tank.

Emerald crab is a cool crab, it should leave everything alone, but there are always rogue's.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get a flame hawk if you want shrimps. Also what goby? I don't think it matters but they are a very diverse family. I would recommend adding the royal gramma second to last and clowns last. They tend to be territorial.
I was looking at Tiger Goby but not really set on certain species yet. The reason for adding clowns first is I read they are hardy and I have some lead way in case of mistakes.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definately should not add them all at once. Slowly, and spaced apart, each time you add something to your tank, the tank needs to get used to it.

Your stocking list looks good to me, I also have a 32 gallon, personally I feel that 5-6 fish is the limit for my tank.

Emerald crab is a cool crab, it should leave everything alone, but there are always rogue's.
And about the hermits?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at Tiger Goby but not really set on certain species yet. The reason for adding clowns first is I read they are hardy and I have some lead way in case of mistakes.
All those fish are hardy, don't worry. Most fish are hardy as long as you feed them LOL. Now on the subject of feeding, most "sand sifter" gobies starve in tanks even if they appear to be eating. They need lots of dirty sand to live and in a tank that small it is unlikely to provide enough sand. These days people keep their tanks so spotless that there is not much down there for them to eat either way.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And about the hermits?
Hermits, like most crabs, are usually ok. Usually being the key word, but sometimes you get rogue's, the best thing with crabs is keep them well fed and hopefully they will not need or want to eat anything else.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the amount of thought you have been putting in, it’s a great sign you are going to be very successful in this hobby. I started my 32 gallon with my 2 clowns and haven’t had any problems. I added additional fish in about every 2 weeks except for my diamond watchman gobie. The gobie was added about 5 months later so the sand bed was matured enough, as mentioned above. I also have a yellow tail damsel (after. Swearing I’d never get a per type of damsel) , a Royal gramma and a six line wrass ( they get a bad wrap). You can look into other wrasses there are so many and they are so fun to watch. I’ve always had an emerald crab and blu and red legged hermits with out any problem. You may want a female emerald as I’ve read they are less likely tone problematic. I also have a tuxedo urchin ( work horse) and a tiger conch ( pristine sand bed). But add just a few at a time and add slowly when there is more of a food source. The urchin and conch probably last. I look forward to seeing your build , best of luck.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a follow up question not in my original statement. Is my PH too low? Its currently sitting around 7.7 and the Alk reads about 8.5. I am using red sea test kit. I have some Reef buffer but should I even bother with that yet? I have read to not really chase numbers but concerned that the ph is too low to begin with?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you testing your Ph? Ph will fluctuate usually peaks at its highest toward the end of you light cycle. Def do not use a buffer to raise your ph. As far as 7.7 it’s not horrible. Conduct a ph test by taking some tank water putting outside for about an hour with an air stone then testing it to see if your ph goes up. If it does you can try raising it by maybe opening up a window to allow fresh air. If you are running a skimmer your can try to plumb a a line outside to draw in fresh air.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you testing your Ph? Ph will fluctuate usually peaks at its highest toward the end of you light cycle. Def do not use a buffer to raise your ph. As far as 7.7 it’s not horrible. Conduct a ph test by taking some tank water putting outside for about an hour with an air stone then testing it to see if your ph goes up. If it does you can try raising it by maybe opening up a window to allow fresh air. If you are running a skimmer your can try to plumb a a line outside to draw in fresh air.
I usually test all Params around 5pm . My lights come on at 10am go off at 8pm. Ramp hour up and then hour down.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Give the aeration test a try and see if your ph goes up, if so then fresh air from a skimmer if you have one with a little surface agitation will def. help. If not don’t sweat it. But do not use a buffer like I said before. No good can come from that

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will weight in and agree with most of what has been said.
Agree that the clowns will be more resilient to early water parameters, and get them small and they should be ok for aggression with others - assume they will be ocelaris types.
Love the Gramma choice and also smallish and I find them to be resistant to bullying and not too pugnacious on their own
a pair of CB yellow lined gobies could be cool
I have a red spot hawkfish and it ignores peppermint shrimp, but I know there are hawks that are demons - so be careful
So if you don't do hawkfish, peppermeint or a cleaner shrimp can go in eventually
Captive bred Lyre tail bennies are not talked about much, and they could be cool
Am an advocate for emeralds, lots of folks aren't, but I try to pick out females at the shop, or drop the makes in the sump if mail order. females are way smaller
and to pH 7.7 should be your bottom, and recently bought a in home CO2 monitor, and now the only number I chase in CO2 - adjusting with room air flow

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will weight in and agree with most of what has been said.
Agree that the clowns will be more resilient to early water parameters, and get them small and they should be ok for aggression with others - assume they will be ocelaris types.
Love the Gramma choice and also smallish and I find them to be resistant to bullying and not too pugnacious on their own
a pair of CB yellow lined gobies could be cool
I have a red spot hawkfish and it ignores peppermint shrimp, but I know there are hawks that are demons - so be careful
So if you don't do hawkfish, peppermeint or a cleaner shrimp can go in eventually
Captive bred Lyre tail bennies are not talked about much, and they could be cool
Am an advocate for emeralds, lots of folks aren't, but I try to pick out females at the shop, or drop the makes in the sump if mail order. females are way smaller
and to pH 7.7 should be your bottom, and recently bought a in home CO2 monitor, and now the only number I chase in CO2 - adjusting with room air flow
The guy at my LFS recommended the yellow line goby and rainifordi goby. And I still haven't decided where I will get my fish from. The LFS while has good reviews I feel like not all the fish look that great some have sunken belly and there body doesn't look as clear and bright as I think they could be. But he is very knowledgeable. I was looking at yellow watchman goby as well. And I would like to try six line wrasse as kevgib said but am concerned about it. I would add him last to the tank if I do that. But as far as goby and flamehawk. Those two are not set in stone and subject to change on the stock list. I plan to get the others for sure. I'm trying to set myself up for success. I am firm believer in research and planning.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back