About to add 1st fish to QT

Nightwatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my DT is fully cycled and waiting for fish. But I have set up a QT tank, and plan to add my first fish to the QT this week. Fish has been in LFS QT for 2 weeks. (not taking any chances). I have my Aquaclear running with just carbon in the QT but I plan to remove the carbon. I have had the sponge from the Aquaclear in my DT sump for 2+ weeks, and I have also had a big sponge filter running in the sump, and a bag of the filter media that came with the aquaclear gathering up benefiical bacteria. The QT just has new salt water in it, and is heated and salinity is at 1.027.

So...if I drop my sponge filters and media into the aquaclear, is that enough to add a fish? Or should I buy a small bottle of Fritz turbostart and dump that in first and wait a couple of days?

QT is just glass, heater, a couple of PVC pipes for hiding spots, a thermometer, and heater.

Second question - am I ok to add either coral or inverts to the DT without QT? Maybe just a freshwater dip for the coral? Its been years since Ive done this so could use advise. Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second answer (only). You can, but anything wet can still potentially introduce something to your tank (not common, but it does happen). I don't QT my inverts or corals (this is just me, I don't necessarily endorse this!), but I do dip all my corals in CoralRX for 8-10 minutes prior to introducing to the DT. I also have some Polyp Lab Reef Primer on-hand to treat any infections and BJD if need be.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bring the salinity down to 1.024-1.025 before adding a fish.

That amount of media in conjunction with the sponge should do fine to start off with.

I dip all incoming coals in coral RX for pests. It's a 7 minute investment in piece of mind, and not having to deal with the bugs you may be bringing in.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you monitor your Ammonia levels in your QT and do water changes as needed. The QT should cycle pretty quickly since you had the sponge in the Display tank. However you may experience a mini cycle so it is best to be up on the water parameters until you are confident the QT is fully cycled.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back