About to give up on clams...

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am on the verge of losing my second clam and am quite disappointed. I lost the first to what I assumed was a lack of enough light but I thought I remedied that and now this second I had hope for and it showed new shell growth as recently as last month. However, now it is all but dead. It is in a 12" deep IM lagoon 25 with a radion xr30 gen 4 pro over it and I just don't know where I went wrong this time. Parameters:
Ca: 380 (low)
Alk: 10.9
NO3: 2 ppm (also dose red sea nutrition A and B)

Any advice is appreciated, I have one more left that I would love to keep alive but my hopes are low.
IMG_8613.jpg
IMG_8326.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd when they grow in the system but then die. Did you introduce another clam in that time? Or had one that overlapped? I have had them grow and then die when I put in another clam that passed illness or parasite to the system. It takes a while for them to get sick and stop growing.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the 2nd picture, it appears you have 4 clams? Are you dosing any phyto? What other fish are in the system? Clams are great, but it doesn't take a lot for them to go downhill.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not an expert here, but I would try raising your calcium a bit. I’m sure you realize this already. They need calcium for their shells. Hope this helps.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend posting your pics and questions in this thread
It is monitored by some serious clam folks. They helped me a lot with my clam.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no clam expert but don’t they need something solid to mount their foot to? I was always told never to just place them on the sand. Look into the brightwell clam hammock or placing it on a 2” frag disc. Also make sure you don’t have any fish picking at it or crabs.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no clam expert but don’t they need something solid to mount their foot to? I was always told never to just place them on the sand. Look into the brightwell clam hammock or placing it on a 2” frag disc. Also make sure you don’t have any fish picking at it or crabs.
Some clams you just place on the sand bed, some you must place carefully and let them attach.

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd when they grow in the system but then die. Did you introduce another clam in that time? Or had one that overlapped? I have had them grow and then die when I put in another clam that passed illness or parasite to the system. It takes a while for them to get sick and stop growing.

I did add 2 more about a month and a half ago so maybe but those two are alive and well for now.

Based on the 2nd picture, it appears you have 4 clams? Are you dosing any phyto? What other fish are in the system? Clams are great, but it doesn't take a lot for them to go downhill.
Sorry I mistyped, I have 2 others than the sick one. I bought an original 2, one died. I changed lighting and this one began to show shell growth and I thought I was finally able to keep them and got another set about a month and a half ago (they're my favorite animal) which are both still alive atm.

I tried to get this guy to attach to a rock and he moved off of it time after time, even made a leap from a rock I have in the middle of the tank and it just seemed he was happier in the and bed.

Definitely not an expert here, but I would try raising your calcium a bit. I’m sure you realize this already. They need calcium for their shells. Hope this helps.
Already being slowly corrected. Was 420 when I checked last not sure how it dropped that much.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check for Pyramid Snails? Are you running charcoal? How much flow in the clam area?

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source of purchase? All from the same?
Purchased from different local shops. The second 2 were purchased from a very reputable clam dealer in Ohio though. First set (the two that are dead) was ordered for me.

Did you check for Pyramid Snails? Are you running charcoal? How much flow in the clam area?
Checked for snails, I run rox carbon. I do have a good bit of flow (Nero 5 25% during the day in a 25g) but nothing direct on them

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed a small amount of phyto to the tank. Do not target feed. Clams like no3. In my opinion clams do not need any supplement over 2”, and that is debatable at that. I had a squammy for years, and currently have a maxima my daughter picked it started 1.5” and 18 months later is 3.5”. Never been feed. Good luck and clam on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back