About to give up on fairy wrasse

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by TroyHoot, Jan 2, 2018.

1. TroyHoot

TroyHoot Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I have had horrible luck with fairy wrasse. One jumped out of qt while feeding, one was swimming in corkscrews till death. One I babied in QT for almost 2 weeks with Internal parasites and swim bladder issues. Next one dies on day 4 in QT. I think im forgetting one other one.

I scrapped my old QT. Got new tank and equipment for a 20g QT. Took Exquisite through QT with no problems. Eat well the whole time and did wonderful. Acclimation box for 3 days with no signs of aggression from Lubbocks wrasse(only wrasse to survive for me).

Set Exquisite loose. Was chased for a couple days but not overly bad. Well then he comes up swimming all funny. Spinal injury Im sure. I was letting him stay in main display for first 2 days like this because he was eating. Well last night and this morning he was having a hard time catching food. So I stuck him back in the acclimation box and Im hand feeding him to make sure he gets food. I hope he survives. But I'm not very hopeful.

I would put him back in QT but I have a Filament wrasse in there now and a little yellow tang. They are on second week with no trouble.

I just needed to vent. I've had the flu for last couple days which isnt helping and some pipes have been freezing in the house. We got them to thaw but still a pain. 2018 woohoo bleh hahah

Tags:

2. TheReefer27

TheReefer27 Active Member

Do you have a refugium? You could probably stick him in there.

3. TroyHoot

Yeah I have a good size one. Has rocks and some cheato. I think he may just get stuck in the rocks. Overflows into the return section. Dont want him to get in the return pump. Its also lit opposite schedule. I may think about that though. I can put s screen up so he couldnt get through I guess. Just getting depressed i keep loseing wrasse. I look at that tomorrow.

4. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I haven't had the best luck with wrasses either but I love them.

5. ntayler

ntayler Member

Don’t feel bad...I’m on try number 4 with a leopard wrasse and try number 3 on a fairy...so far so good, but it’s been frustrating with wrasses for me too

6. leahfiish

The first 2 I got (Solorensis and McCoskers) were doing great in qt for about 2 weeks and then both randomly died overnight, never really figured out what happened. The next 2 (same species) were okay for the first few days and then started dwindling, they got some weird infection or something. I got an Earmuff from a different source at that point and it's been doing great, it was the first fish in my tank. Next try was a McCoskers by itself that was great until the heater spiked his tank to 86 and he stopped eating. :(
    I waited a while and then tried a hooded fairy wrasse that did great. Then I got a brunneus that got swim bladder issues after a week or 2, he passed despite my best efforts. Most recently I got an African exquisite and a Cresent tail that I qt'd together. The exquisite developed a spine or swim bladder issue after a few days. The crescent tail has been in my tank for a few months now.

7. Kyl

Kyl Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I'm 3/4 with fairy wrasses:

1/1 C. cyanopleura 1/1 (TTM/Prazi)
    1/1 C. lubbocki (TTM/Prazi)
    1/2 C. rubriventralis (Copper/Prazi) first one died, probably from heavy fluke infestation

I've changed things up with the latest C. rubriventralis, my new fish now go through an acclimation period to get settled and eating well, then prazi doses and finally copper, unless they show signs of ich/velvet first. The last C. rubriventralis developed a bacterial infection (was heavily fluke infested) that finally seems to have cleared up, but it took a long time in QT. I think the overall quality of livestock has gone down the past year or so..

8. rkpetersen

rkpetersen Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

My Lineatus fairy wrasse has survived jumping out of the tank 4 times! And 3 of those were after I got a lid (he waits until I have the lid off to make his move). Trying to scoop a slippery fish up off the 6" of floor space behind the center back of the tank, quickly, avoiding cords and tubing, is sure some fun time. And the Lineatus is actually in competition with my Carpenter's flasher wrasse, who has jumped out 3 times.

This wrasse jumping thing sucks. Makes me nervous to even remove the lid for a short time. A month ago, I made a long narrow net out of black mesh, and attached it to the back of my tank and the wall behind the tank with velcro and magnets. Haven't yet seen my new 'fishcatcher' in action; hopefully it'll work as intended and keep any jumpers up off the floor, where i can retrieve them quickly.

Let's see, what else - 2 Solon fairy wrasses that, after flying through qt and acclimation, immediately vanished behind the rocks on being released into the DT, never to be seen again.

At least my melanurus never gives me any problems - He's a smart fella, that one. Never jumps out, and incredibly good at getting food including hovering around my hand when I do any aquascaping, hoping that I'll stir up some nummy bits.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Empress likes this.
  9. happyhourhero

happyhourhero Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Mine always do the corkscrew swim thing. I gave up a while back too.

10. leahfiish

I think some of my problems with wrasses are that when I move them, they really freak out while they are in the net or colander, even if it's for literally less than 5 seconds they just thrash around everywhere. I think next time I have to transfer one I'm going to leave them in the water the whole time and just accept the fact that I'm going to have to transfer some water with them.

11. TroyHoot

He is in the sump. I am feeding him with larger chunks of LRS with a pipette. I have to hold it in front of him so he can get it. Im not very hopeful. But he is still alive and eating.

It just sucks that I got him through QT with flying colors and in the acclimation box with no trouble. He hurt himself on the glass or rock or something our of my control.

12. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

That's kind of weird. I've found fairy wrasses to be one of the easier fish for me to keep. They always eat very well and very soon after arrival.

Source may have something to do with it. Non-healthy fish won't do well regardless of the species. Wrasse are very prone to internal parasites and flukes so it's very wise to treat them for that as soon as they are comfortable and eating well.

I have had problems recently with flasher wrasse that come with internal parasites and are so thin they look like swimming heads. I have a P. angulatus in QT now that will be there for a while fattening up because of that.

13. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I'm guessing it probably made a run for it and jumped into a lid/canopy. I lost a McCoskers a couple months ago; jumped out the back of the canopy. I gotta find something to block that off with still.

14. rkpetersen

Jeez, these sick and dying fish threads really give me the blues, I don't know why I read them. I just had a Sailfin Tang that didn't make it through qt. Dying fish make me so unhappy and just plain sad, much more so than with corals. I finally realized what it is - Fish suffer, and we have to watch that. Sometimes, often, this is really hard on me; I may have to think about whether keeping fish (as opposed to only corals) is worth it.

Empress and J Rog like this.
  15. rkpetersen

Yeah. Even though I now have a Clearview lid, my Lineatus still jumps occasionally when he's startled (or for no apparent reason.) Smacks into it, water splashes everywhere. I am so grateful that it gives too much to seriously hurt him like with OP's poor wrasse, but even so, I sometimes see fairly subtle marks around his upper head and torso that I think are residua of when he struck the lid.

16. TroyHoot

my tops are screens. Im sure it was a rock or the glass. They bounce off the screens. The center support would be only place to hurt.

rkpetersen likes this.
  17. CindyKz

CindyKz Active Member

I've felt/thought this too. For me it's the guilt of knowing that if they hadn't been taken out of the ocean they would have lived their natural lives. When I see them swimming around fat and happy in my tank it doesn't bother me as much.

leahfiish likes this.
  18. Macrochick

Macrochick Member

Fairy wrasse are extremely delicate. You can't use copper or formalin on them. They stress out and die. Most meds stress them out. Best thing is quarantine them in there own tank with some hiding spots like pic tubes until they are eating fine. After they are eating watch them for disease then treat. I would never use those meds I stated on them. They seem to do fine with prazipro. Also a quick fresh water dip is fine. I have lots of fairy wrasse in my tank and they do fine with my method of quarantine.

Empress likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted