About to Purchase Live Rock

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to purchase some live rock on the BRS black Friday sale prices.

However, I am not ready to setup my tank completely. I have a couple of weeks to go as some renovations are being completed around the house that I would prefer to have complete before I jump into a tank and being new to reefing.

My question is since this is live rock is biologically active already, I am assuming I can't just leave the rock in its box until I am ready. Should I pull the rock out and throw it in a container of circulating salt water until I am ready for it?

Should I be putting some sort of food in for the bacteria to eat? a few pinches of fish flakes or something else.

Much appreciated on the help.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the rock will be shipped damp, so it may have live bacteria colonies. According to the description, BRS cures/cycles these rocks before shipment, so they should be better than truly dry rock but not as good as true live rock.

I would follow BRS's recommendation and cure the rock in a separate can or tub until you are ready to add to your setup. From what I read about it, I would not consider this rock cycled, so you should plan on either cycling in the separate can ahead of time or cycling the system once set up. It is also highly recommendable that you add nitrifying bacteria (such as Dr. Tim's One and Only or Brightwell's Microbacter7) to ensure and speed up your cycle time.

OP
OP

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated to you both for the responses. I do have a bottle of Dr Tims waiting already for when I do go to cycle the tank.

In the meantime until I am ready, I will store the rock in some salt water.

Thanks again!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want real live rock from the ocean check out KP aquatics and Tampa Bay Saltwater rock. They aquaculture rock in the ocean for a few years. Maybe the price is comparable. I love all the life that comes with aquacultured rock.

That rock at BRS is really nice looking, but I really don’t consider it live. It does not have the biodiversity that rock from the ocean has. It has bacteria, but that’s about all.

Quastermayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take it and throw it in a trash can with saltwater and start cycling it will definitely speed the process up when the tank is setup and ready for rock!!!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate how New reefers are getting duped into thinking dry rock is the same as liverock. Dry rock can never compare to Wet aged rock or the old rock until its been put through colonizing warfare. I don't believe for a second there is any bacteria ready to colonize!.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to find a trusted source to seed your tank with sponges + coraline. - Bacteria in a bottle is good for nitrogen cycle but time is needed to make your dryrock become Live rock. Goodluck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back