About to start tank should I get a Macroalgae Reactor or Scrubber

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals.

so finally have everything in hand and about to start putting the tank together. before I do I am trying to decide one last thing. I will be running fleece socks and protein skimmer but otherwise have not planned for anything else in my sump and I have alot of room. I was thinking of possible running the ARID N18 macroalgae reactor. I don't really want to spend the money but really really don't want algae in the tank. What would you guys suggest or would a algae scrubber work better. I am trying to avoid doing the chatoe growing in the sum as I don't want the big mess.

A.R.I.D. N18 Macroalgae Reactor- Cost $399 plus small pump

or

CW-100 Algae Scrubber - Ready-2-Run Bundle - $398​

or

Just put rocks in the sump

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about chaeto getting everywhere, you could put it in a hampster ball in the sump. That has the benefit that it will roll around and expose all sides to light.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I ran gfo and carbon in the bars reactors and it helped a ton with keeping algae down. Never had issues. Those units are like $100. I’d go that route, but sounds like you’re just setting up so not something you need right off the bat. In the beginning you’ll just need to keep tank clean and daily maintenance of wiping glass and vacuum sanbed. Once you start keeping more fish and corals you can start to look a tad the reactors. That’s my suggestion... and if I misread your post that you aren’t just setting up, I apologize

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back