About to throw my Radions in the trash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't connect them to ESL, they won't communicate with my WXM. Can't program them, can't set them up. I've emailed @EcoTech Marine and they said the only way to program them is with ESL and Wi-Fi. This shouldn't be the case. They used to have a CD you could use to program them but they no longer use that and you have to be on a computer with internet. Such a shame.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to throw them in the trash, I'll take them!! ;)

I'm sure they're great lights, if you are able to program and use them. I just consider it a major oversight on their part and mine as well. I was under the impression that the was a CD I could use to program them. I'm just irritated and blowing off steam. Maybe I shouldn't have done so here in a public forum. I traded for a pair of G1 Radions for a new build and can't get them to communicate with my WXM and since I don't have home internet I can't program them.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post that I was able to program my g1 radions by plugging them into my laptop, but then I remembered that my laptop is always on wifi. Sorry bud, I hope you get this figured out.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can give them a call and see if they can get you a copy of the old pc software that was used with a USB cable before EcoSmart Live was introduced.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to post that I was able to program my g1 radions by plugging them into my laptop, but then I remembered that my laptop is always on wifi. Sorry bud, I hope you get this figured out.

Thanks. I should've stuck with halide, they just turn on and off LOL.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can give them a call and see if they can get you a copy of the old pc software that was used with a USB cable before EcoSmart Live was introduced.

I emailed them requesting one, they no longer have it.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand having to download ESL from them (which I've done, at a friends over the weekend) due to any updates and such. But, once downloaded I can't understand the need for internet being required. To program them now I would have to carry my laptop, two power supplies, two Radion fixtures somewhere to use Wi-Fi, kind of rediculous in my opinion.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can almost understand having to download ESL from them (which I've done, at a friends over the weekend) due to any updates and such. But, once downloaded I can't understand the need for internet being required.
It's cloud based. You log into their website and change your settings there.
The only thing installed on your computer is what allows you to connect to the website and for the website to detect your lights over wifi.
So you need an internet connection in order to do the programming.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's cloud based. You log into their website and change your settings there.
The only thing installed on your computer is what allows you to connect to the website and for the website to detect your lights over wifi.
So you need an internet connection in order to do the programming.

And in my opinion (which I'm sure 95% won't agree with) that's absolutely asinine.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Count me as part of the 5% and I totally agree with you. I guess they assume if you can afford their lights then you have internet.

Thanks. It's a big assumption to be made.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's a big assumption to be made.
In 2016? No.

If this were the early 2000s, then I would agree with you, but those days are long gone. Even my grandparents, who are 70 years old and who understand little about electronics, have a basic internet connection that has a wireless modem supplied by their ISP.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2016? No.

If this were the early 2000s, then I would agree with you, but those days are long gone. Even my grandparents, who are 70 years old and who understand little about electronics, have a basic internet connection that has a wireless modem supplied by their ISP.

Good for your grandparents, really, good for them. The world is moving to mobile internet, has been for years now. And as I've said, most here won't agree with me, congrats on being in the majority.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back