About to throw my Radions in the trash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live close to you neighbor? Do they have wifi? You could piggy back em. Just a thought on a solution. I would offer you my halides as trade but i refuse to totally move into this century :D

I've tried Apparently, this century isn't for me either, LOL.

michaust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462836721.397296.jpg

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of whether you have internet or not, I agree with the OP that ESL can be a pain in the butt.
I can't use Radions at my office because of the firewall issues. Even after a couple hours on the phone with tech support. I had a Radion 15 that I had to sell because of it.
Blue Tooth that gives a direct connection between your mobile device and the lights would be a better way to go.
Or control through Apex and Profilux.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of whether you have internet or not, I agree with the OP that ESL can be a pain in the butt.
I can't use Radions at my office because of the firewall issues. Even after a couple hours on the phone with tech support. I had a Radion 15 that I had to sell because of it.
Blue Tooth that gives a direct connection between your mobile device and the lights would be a better way to go.
Or control through Apex and Profilux.

Mobile programming via Bluetooth is something I could get behind.

I downloaded that program you linked and added to my laptop with my phone and it is actually working, still having issues but I'm not an overly computer savvy guy. I'll stay in the shop and paint some cars, LOL.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to come at this from 180 degrees, I'm an IT security professional with extensive networking experience, and I hate that a cloud service would be required to program a device. I agree that for 90% of the people who have broadband and a free wifi router this is the method that works well, but you need to cater to people who want to do things a little less techy, and those who are extremely tech saavy and don't trust an "Internet of Things" device sitting in their home connected to your network. I have an apex controller, and although the apex fusion is nice, I use the older internal web interface for most things; the idea of only a cloud interface is asinine. Thermostats, aquarium controllers, lights etc... won't be on my home network, they can sit on their own network segregated from the devices I mostly trust. Too many hacked "Internet of thing" devices out there that were poorly programmed for me to invite nefarious people into my home network. I believe Apex and EcoTech have an interoperability issue because EcoTech is not open about interoperability standards which is disappointing. If they don't have a internal web server I can access without internet I won't be purchasing their products.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to come at this from 180 degrees, I'm an IT security professional with extensive networking experience, and I hate that a cloud service would be required to program a device. I agree that for 90% of the people who have broadband and a free wifi router this is the method that works well, but you need to cater to people who want to do things a little less techy, and those who are extremely tech saavy and don't trust an "Internet of Things" device sitting in their home connected to your network. I have an apex controller, and although the apex fusion is nice, I use the older internal web interface for most things; the idea of only a cloud interface is asinine. Thermostats, aquarium controllers, lights etc... won't be on my home network, they can sit on their own network segregated from the devices I mostly trust. Too many hacked "Internet of thing" devices out there that were poorly programmed for me to invite nefarious people into my home network. I believe Apex and EcoTech have an interoperability issue because EcoTech is not open about interoperability standards which is disappointing. If they don't have a internal web server I can access without internet I won't be purchasing their products.

You should see the Hamilton halide between my Radions.

webbrage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand there are outside ways to make things work, I don't feel that I should have to resort to those.
your right if your going to sell a high end product there should be more flexibility to be able to program them.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the OP argument. While I don't have radions, AI hydra HD are set up close to the same way. I hate trying to get in to program them. No buttons at all.

I wonder, how are you posting here if no wifi? Even if it is just a phone, couldn't you create a hotspot just quick to program be lights?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once set up I never really even touch my Radion settings. Like to keep every think the same. Changing lighting is not something I do a lot of. You can use use the buttons on the light itself to set up your light. While you cannot use a preprogrammed schedule I do know people that use just that.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the Radions after using them for many years is that you have to dial in a spectrum that your corals prefer. It may take awhile to find one that the corals respond properly too. So for the OP, it can get very tedious.

For awhile, my connection manager program wouldn't pick after one time use. I had to reinstall the program every time in order to just log on to input a new spectrum. Although I had connection, I can understand the frustration of having to go thru extra efforts just to get things working properly.

Jayman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If u have internet on your phone. Theirs a app to control the radion.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back