About to throw my Radions in the trash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to just get rid of them and stick with what you are comfortable with, metal halides. If you are doing it to save energy costs, then there are other LED lights out there that do not have cloud based platforms, cost less, and achieve the same results.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you bring the light over to a friend or family members house who has interwebs, program it there, then bring it back home?

They're great lights and I love mine. Everything is becoming internet and cloud based so I don't see this problem going away anytime soon unless you prefer to use T5's or Halides. Otherwise there are Kessils, which I'm a bit frustrated with at the moment since mine died a little bit after the warranty period ended. Otherwise I believe that there are a handful of other LED light makers that have lighting solutions that programmable via buttons / dials.

Would be nice if Ecotech had a bluetooth programming functionality or an optional controller (not reeflink which just connects you to ESL) for programming, I agree with that.

Last edited:

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trash or my house let me know ill pay for shipping. I love my radions would trade them for anything. Everything in the tank growing and looks awesome with them. Give 2016 a chance and I'm sure you will enjoy what these lights have to offer. You can program them VIA USB to mini USB that's what I did till I got the reef link. But the reef link is junk will buy the module for the Apex soon.

Oscar Alejandro Perez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joked with my friend the other day, telling her how in my 60g reef tank I had more high tech appliances then anywhere else in my apartment. Its crazy how fast and innovative aquarium technology has become in the span of a few years, and it will only keep moving in that direction. Back to you though, I think a really simple solution for now is what someone posted already, get a friend to set up a hotspot with their phone, or call your phone provider and ask how to enable one through your own phone. Just make sure to turn the hotspot off after you use it as it can burn through data.

Hope you get them working, I love my radions, although programming them is another beast all together haha

Jamesholt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's why I cant have a Apex ,,No internet....Its a 15 minute ride into town and I cant get internet at the house..

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to come at this from 180 degrees, I'm an IT security professional with extensive networking experience, and I hate that a cloud service would be required to program a device. I agree that for 90% of the people who have broadband and a free wifi router this is the method that works well, but you need to cater to people who want to do things a little less techy, and those who are extremely tech saavy and don't trust an "Internet of Things" device sitting in their home connected to your network. I have an apex controller, and although the apex fusion is nice, I use the older internal web interface for most things; the idea of only a cloud interface is asinine. Thermostats, aquarium controllers, lights etc... won't be on my home network, they can sit on their own network segregated from the devices I mostly trust. Too many hacked "Internet of thing" devices out there that were poorly programmed for me to invite nefarious people into my home network. I believe Apex and EcoTech have an interoperability issue because EcoTech is not open about interoperability standards which is disappointing. If they don't have a internal web server I can access without internet I won't be purchasing their products.
Well hydra HD series have that, but they use true wireless technology instead if RF. They have a weak wireless receiver, but do provide a cloud interface and also an internal web server.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with ESL. Also the radio setup on the echotech products only has two channels. So the interface with the WXM will only allow for 2 tanks to be controlled via apex. I have 3. Also the discovery of the devices is stupidly implemented. They tried to make it too idiot proof. They should provide a method of manual pairing to things like the WXM. When I had to replace a driver on one tank I had to power down the lights and pumps on the other tank to re-pair the new one. The whole wireless part of the echotech products sounds cool until you find how limiting it is. To me it's what ruins otherwise fantastic products. I have sold all my echotech equipment and have replaced it all with 0-10V controlled lights (Kessil) and pumps (Gyre and Tunze). I can control everything when the internet is down through my apex. The kessil and tunze even have the ability to manually overide and operate without a controller.

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. People are nervous about NEST thermostats, since it's proven to be unprofitable since Google has acquired it, and they have a tendency to just shut down products like that. If they shut it down, the cloud goes down, and no one can access their thermostat's when away from home...

Not a fan of cloud only products.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two XR15 off of someone and had to hook them up to my computer to do a factory reset. Once I did that then I could add them to EcoSmart Live.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying a used Ecotech product always ask the previous owner to remove them from their Ecotech live account. This will stop all kinds of flakeyness.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's why I cant have a Apex ,,No internet....Its a 15 minute ride into town and I cant get internet at the house..
I can't have internet at my house neither but the apex is Sooo worth it even without Internet. Yes u can't get the notifications to your phone but I did get rid of 5 different timers and I got a backup shutoff if my heater goes out, and a ph monitor. As far as your lights, I hope u get em working somehow.

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the OP argument. While I don't have radions, AI hydra HD are set up close to the same way. I hate trying to get in to program them. No buttons at all.

I wonder, how are you posting here if no wifi? Even if it is just a phone, couldn't you create a hotspot just quick to program be lights?

I was Wondering that to. And the fact that a WXM module was indicated. Which I assume means they also have an Apex. I know an Apex can be used without internet, but to claim no techie experience. I dunno, of you can set up an Apex, you can dodge a ball.
Having said that I 100% agree with OP. It should be illegal to sell products that only a certain group can use. I'm so little biased right now, because (nothing to do with Apex) I was suppose to fill out a Canadian Census report. And it has to done online. If I don't submit it I can be fined. Even with internet connection I'm not using my data that I pay for in order because the gov requires it.
That thing. This is the way of the world today. There used to be something called customer appreciation. I don't think it exsisits anymore. Not just Ecotech, in every sector. Companies just don't care about the individual users. Its all a numbers game. And one out of a million just isn't going to light any fires.

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an Apex with an WXM then why aren't you using that to program.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back