About to trap a rowdy tang where should he go? Qt or refugium

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings ! I have a refugee yellow tang from hurricane Irma. At the time I really didn't want this fish as I had only a pair of clowns in a new 180 fish only . I know from previous experience how
butt head tangs can be to a new fish. These 3 fish ignored each other. so after a few months I wanted to put a Copper band into the 180 also. So I trapped the tang & put it in the refugium for time out . After a couple weeks I put the Copper band into the 180, waited a week for her to settle in & get used to her new home. I then added the tang. I "thought" this time out would have made the tang think it was in a new tank. This has worked several times before. Well, not this time ! With in in an hour this finned fiend was harassing the copper band relentlessly . I have them partitioned at this time.
I really don't want to rehome this tang . It is a very beautiful fish & would be a good addition to this big tank. Until I decide what to do , Should I put him back into the refugium for a longer time out? It's plenty big enough for this fish but would be subjected to a very bright grow light over the ref every night. Or should he go into a 20 long Qt. It is cycled & ready for a fish. there is an internal filter in the tank. I did just added an Aquaclear filter that could use a boost as it matures. Either one would add no probs moving this fish later .
The tang would be better off in the Qt for the long term. Maybe more fish in the 180 ?
It might mellow somewhat but I'd need the Qt for any new additions .
I do want to keep this fish , just have several different options incliding taking it to the LFS & looking for OP's which You think would be best. Thanks !

HPIM8865.JPG

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings ! I have a refugee yellow tang from hurricane Irma. At the time I really didn't want this fish as I had only a pair of clowns in a new 180 fish only . I know from previous experience how
butt head tangs can be to a new fish. These 3 fish ignored each other. so after a few months I wanted to put a Copper band into the 180 also. So I trapped the tang & put it in the refugium for time out . After a couple weeks I put the Copper band into the 180, waited a week for her to settle in & get used to her new home. I then added the tang. I "thought" this time out would have made the tang think it was in a new tank. This has worked several times before. Well, not this time ! With in in an hour this finned fiend was harassing the copper band relentlessly . I have them partitioned at this time.
I really don't want to rehome this tang . It is a very beautiful fish & would be a good addition to this big tank. Until I decide what to do , Should I put him back into the refugium for a longer time out? It's plenty big enough for this fish but would be subjected to a very bright grow light over the ref every night. Or should he go into a 20 long Qt. It is cycled & ready for a fish. there is an internal filter in the tank. I did just added an Aquaclear filter that could use a boost as it matures. Either one would add no probs moving this fish later .
The tang would be better off in the Qt for the long term. Maybe more fish in the 180 ?
It might mellow somewhat but I'd need the Qt for any new additions .
I do want to keep this fish , just have several different options incliding taking it to the LFS & looking for OP's which You think would be best. Thanks !

HPIM8865.JPG
If you really want to keep it then move it to QT for few months and add it back to MT, at that time the copperband would established and settled and it likely would withstand the tang bully if it become rouge again.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I probably didn't wait long enough . That has worked for me more than a few times . I most likely will put it in the QT. when I finally get more fish I can always put him in the refugium. I'm not actively looking for more fish right now. Just waiting for the right one to bring home. At the rate I'm going it will be some time ! LOL

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add other laterally compressed fish to diffuse aggression from the tang before adding him back to the dt.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya like a blue hippo .Wanted one. Only tang I ever owned that wasn't a bully. Thanks Any way the tang has been wary of the trap this round. I wonder if it can remember the last trapping about 4 weeks ago .

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while ! so this yellow finned, fiendish fish has been in a 20 long all this time ! Now I'm feeling sorry for im ! 4 months he's got to be real unhappy. So I'm about to give it "1" last chance. I'm not concerned about him going after the burtterfly's Oh I have the copper band & racoon in there now plus a Melanarus wrasse & the 2 clowns. Like I said I'm not worried about adding him now just thinking any new similar looking fish will get picked on. I guess I'm not asking what to do more like talking out loud over my apprehensions ! I will say if he starts any more trouble I will use any means at my disposal to get it out ! ;Punch
Never thought I'd start having emotional issues over a fish ! LOL

Talk about in decision ! I already have a bunch of yellow in the tank & the Man at my LFS says he would give me consideration on a blue hippo !

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure enough ,I added the tang a little before lights out. He immediately stated chasing & flashing ! This morn it started again . At about 1:30 I couldn't take it & separated the fish. I have witnessed fish aggression in the past but nothing like this crazy fish !

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs certainly are bullies and can hold their own. I currently have a yellow tang and yellow eye tang together and the yellow eye is bullying the yellow tang but the yellow tang fights back.

Both are equal jerks but are evenly matched.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the last post of this thread ! I took me 5 days but I finally trapped this bully tang for the 3rd time ! OOH Ya he was wary of the setup. Somewhere in the back he had memories . But I still trapped his butt ! All it took was patience. He is going to the LFS this weekend !

Last edited by a moderator:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back