Abrasion on Mimic Tang

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Picture of abrasion is at the bottom. Details are below. Looking for second opinion on abrasion of mimic tang and steps I should take during qt.

I recently took a mimic tang out of quarantine and a few days after putting him into the DT an abrasion appeared and he began spending a lot of this time swimming directly into the flow of a power head. My baby yellow tang broke out in ick at the same time. I assumed the worse and put everyone back into quarantine and dosed copper to treat ick/velvet. Don’t know how I could get ahold of c.phos.

Timeline:

72 hours ago. Notice ick, mimic tang swimming into power head, abrasion.

36 hours ago added all fish to a 40b qt. Dose copper.

today 1pm 2/23/21
All fish are active and eating. No worrying signs other than the abrasion on the mimic tang.
All fish were transferred to second 40b qt. Fiancée is not happy with me right now.
Second 40b parameters were similar with same level of copper.
I plan to switch them again at 36 hours and 72 hours.

They are going to have to enjoy a 40b for 76 days unfortunately.

AD7627EC-9E26-4752-B525-AA79E4EF81AB.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish swimming in the path of a power head is one generally seeking relief from parasite condition such as velvet. Placing back in QT was likely a pre-cautionary good move. As long as the mark is an abrasion for which it appears, one great thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal quickly on their own.
What can you do at this point?
- Continue QT
- Increase oxygen if breathing becomes abnormal adding pump and airstone
- Maintain good water quality
- Continue to feed and add garlic extract and vitamins to the foods and feed sparingly
- Inspect fish(s) 2-3X per day for any signs of parasites
- Raise water temp to 80deg

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish swimming in the path of a power head is one generally seeking relief from parasite condition such as velvet. Placing back in QT was likely a pre-cautionary good move. As long as the mark is an abrasion for which it appears, one great thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal quickly on their own.
What can you do at this point?
- Continue QT
- Increase oxygen if breathing becomes abnormal adding pump and airstone
- Maintain good water quality
- Continue to feed and add garlic extract and vitamins to the foods and feed sparingly
- Inspect fish(s) 2-3X per day for any signs of parasites
- Raise water temp to 80deg
Thanks, sounds like I’m on the right path. Do you suggest a small power head with a airstone in a copper treated qt or one over the other? Obviously none of that equipment would ever touch my DT but I have spares of both

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, sounds like I’m on the right path. Do you suggest a small power head with a airstone in a copper treated qt or one over the other? Obviously none of that equipment would ever touch my DT but I have spares of both
I favor the air pump and airstone use

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been about 1.75 weeks. The tang doesn’t appear to be healing, but it isn’t necessarily that much worse either. The tang has been in General cure for 8 days so far. Is this uranema most likely? I assume all my other fish that are in QT with it have it as well.

0E88B627-BAFC-41E7-932F-54AF3BDB13E2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It may be post injury or burn from heater
The good news is that marine fish have the ability to heal quickly.
The bad news is that it could develop into a secondary bacterial issue so keep an eye on it

Back