Abrupt sex change in wrasse

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help make any logical sense of my situation?

I got back from my trip in Thailand in April and have been sort of lazy about doing water changes. Long story short, I decided to do a 25-30% water change a week ago after 5 months of just topping off water. Immediately, almost over night, my female leopard wrasse of 3yrs changed from female to something between a female becoming a male. Then, my pair of redtail tamarin wrasses (1 male, 1 female) turned on each other, so I had to separate them. I didn't notice it immediately, but after a week, it has become more apparent that she's also becoming a male. Other wrasses have gotten a bit more aggressive as well.

Any speculations on why this is all happening after doing a water change (after not doing it) for 5 months, or was this just a coincidence?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost certainly just coincidence. If anything, if you stirred up the tank or maybe did something else inside the DT which might have caused a bit of stress or chaos then that could have sparked things, but I see no chance that a very small change in water chemistry itself would spark such events.

OP
OP
YellowFinsReef

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost certainly just coincidence. If anything, if you stirred up the tank or maybe did something else inside the DT which might have caused a bit of stress or chaos then that could have sparked things, but I see no chance that a very small change in water chemistry itself would spark such events.

I figured it was probably a coincidence as well. I did fix the rock work as they were either in awkward positions or fell apart. But it was very nuanced. I just wished I took a before and after photo of that night of the fishes to just document the dramatic change overnight.

OP
OP
YellowFinsReef

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am in possession of two psych headed wrasses now and needing to figure out if I should keep both or rehome one of them.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am in possession of two psych headed wrasses now and needing to figure out if I should keep both or rehome one of them.
If you have another tank to put one in, then great; otherwise they won't work in the same tank together.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back