OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should clear up in a couple days depending on the filtration. I would check the salinity when it clears and start testing then as well. What are you using to check salinity?
A Reefractometer. And i have an reef marine, test kit with calcium, phosphates, nitrates, and alkalinity.

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know because I've used it while cycling my freshwater to no ill effect - it cycled perfectly, and it has been (in the freshwater forum I used to frequent, anyway) often recommended to take care of the fish during minicycles. :)
That is good to know. I use it in my freshwater tank and seems to do a good job, I did buy instant ocean marine conditioner as well to hopefully better suit the water conditions.

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has cleared up nicely and now I am ready to test parameters. My first salinity test came back at 1.025 and am thrilled with that.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know. I use it in my freshwater tank and seems to do a good job, I did buy instant ocean marine conditioner as well to hopefully better suit the water conditions.
I personally think Prime is best, but skimmers hate it XD

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my parameters just now and everything looks good except for my kh. It was off the scale high. I am thinking it is because I used hard tap water. What do I do now?

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am soooo excited, I got my live rock today and got my formation all done and it looks great. I also got some miracle mud for my refugium. Now all i need is a protein skimmer and a little more live rock for the fuge. Then I will be ready for the first inhabitants, crabs and snails and maybe some banded shrimp.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slooow down there lol. It sounds like you are off to a good start but you still need to cycle that tank before you add any critters. You can begin cycling without the protein skimmer so I would start that process. Have you decided on which method you want to use?

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slooow down there lol. It sounds like you are off to a good start but you still need to cycle that tank before you add any critters. You can begin cycling without the protein skimmer so I would start that process. Have you decided on which method you want to use?
I was actually thinking of ghost feeding the tank, what do you think.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great method to use with live rock. You will get to see all the little critters you already have in your tank come out for the food. Cycling new live rock is one of my favorite parts of this hobby because you never know what you will find!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you can go ahead and start. You need to test for NH3 first. I would track these levels daily to try and judge how much you should feed. When you start to see ammonia then start testing for nitrite. These levels should rise followed by nitrate. When cycling these are the only three tests I would worry about. Of course you will need to keep salinity right when dealing with evaporation.

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you can go ahead and start. You need to test for NH3 first. I would track these levels daily to try and judge how much you should feed. When you start to see ammonia then start testing for nitrite. These levels should rise followed by nitrate. When cycling these are the only three tests I would worry about. Of course you will need to keep salinity right when dealing with evaporation.
Thank you. I just did my first feeding and am nervous about getting my tank dirty. I still need to get an ammonia and nitrate test kit. I will probably get one tomorrow.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but you really don't want to add them until the cycle is at the end. They can suffer from ammonia burns just like fish. What are your parameters reading? It is also a good idea to let that algae grow and use up the silicates that are in the tank now and you will have less issue later.

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6975.jpg
IMG_6981.jpg
The newest members of the family. I also have 3 peppermint shrimp and about 10 crabs not pictured.:xd:

OP
OP
BigMike81

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are ph 8.2, nitrite 0, nitrate at 10 ppm, and ammonia 0. I am trying not to let the brown algae bother me, but its tough.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those clowns look great! Just remember that the algae is a natural part of the food chain and cycling.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back