• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Absolutely FED UP with AquaIlluminations - Currently own 17 lights total, 7 need repair...

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I really really try not to share bad feedback. I've been biting my tongue for years about AI. I imagine I cannot be the only one that is fed up.

I currently have running:

*5 AI Hydra 26 HD hanging (open no canopy) over my 500G wall tank (of those, two need repairs for blue LEDs that burnt out)
*3 Hydra 32 HD hanging over my 180G Reef (I have had two power supply failures and now LEDs burnt out and the "board" that needs replaced on this)

NOTE: On the Hydra 32s, they are technically out of warranty - they sat on my shelf for 6 months while I finished the project and thus they are outside of warranty after being used ~6-8 months

NOT currently in use but ALSO owned by me:
* 4 Hydra 26 HD bought for @HotRocks tank that hung over his tank (open no canopy) over his tank for about 3 years (perhaps less but roughly) - I bought them to have "extras" for my setup since they've been nothing but trouble and it's clear I need a fleet of them for any semblance of reliability
* 3 Hydra 52 HD I used to run over my 180G before one of them broke after 2.5-3 years (I didn't bother to repair it - most LEDs went out)
* 2 Hydra 32 HD's "in stock" for when they fail, which is just ridiculous honestly - glad I have them though

I had to replace SEVERAL of the 26 and 52HD's over the years, losing track of it. I just bought new ones and didn't figure repairing was an economical option.

I've had TONS of issues connecting Hydra 52 HD and Hydra 26 HD to their apps over the years. It was blamed on the wifi initially, but the app was virtually worthless. Customer service was unable to help, blaming it on wifi. I have an entire Eero mesh wifi system in my home with an access point within 10 feet of both tanks. Everything else is VERY responsive.

To be fair to AI, the new Hydra 32s all connect to the app VERY well. However, they have even more reliability/quality issues than the previous generation. LED clusters are apparently burnt out on the one I sent them two weeks ago after 6-8 months of use. I have now had TWO power supplies fail one week apart. The remaining working power supply is quite hot to the touch and I am guessing it's days are number. Like a moron, I shipped them the light when it was not responding (no power at all) for repair without testing the power supply. I discovered it was the power supplies yesterday while (properly) troubleshooting. I expected my call with AI to be them telling me I was a goofball for sending a working light when the power supply failed (somehow I didn't think to check that when I sent the first) but as I said above, it needs $150 of repairs (including shipping).

I also called 3 times this week for status updates to talk to someone. The first two times had wait times of 11 and 13 minutes, respectively. After 45 minutes they suggested I call back or email them and the call ended. Today, the wait time was 7 minutes and more than 30 minutes later I spoke to a representative. He explained that my light DID need repairs (other than a power supply). I expressed to him that while technically they ARE out of 1 year warranty (which seems like a short life expectancy for such expensive lights anyway), they hadn't been used for a year. I don't really expect them to believe me. I expressed that I've been the MOST LOYAL customer for 8+ years, having only purchased AI products. I expressed ALL of the problems I have, I still have 4 Hydra 26 HD sent to them for repair (the same repairs that need fixed on the new 32 HD light I just sent them), and that I am an unhappy customer and if they ask me to again pay to fix this I am no longer going to be a customer of AI. This is it for me, I've had enough. This was ignored, and he continued to ask for payment. I said before I go writing about being an unhappy customer, are you ready to lose a massive, loyal customer and for me to share my AI experience with everyone else? If you ask me to fix this light again that's what will happen. They didn't care to retain me, so I paid my money and I am done with AI.

On another note, I sent them the Hydra 26 HD's (4) for repair in November (give or take 15 days) and I was told they should be returned in January. It's now mid March and I don't have them and they don't have the parts. I don't get email updates, I am SO glad I have so many in stock though I am currently using 2 other lights with the blue LED clusters out that I'd like to replace these once they complete them. I am sure there are difficulties with supply chains and I don't necessarily fault them for that, but if their products had a reasonable life expectancy we wouldn't be having these issues. They offered to let me buy new 32HD's for about $400 each instead (from memory) of fixing these lights. This doesn't help me, as I run 5 at a time on my 500G and again a LOT of money for a product that appears inferior to the old generation Hydras - failing twice as fast and with rampant power supply failures as well.

To say that I am unhappy with AI is an understatement. I am most angry that they clearly don't want to retain me as a client. I have never been belligerent, aggressive, or rude to anyone. I've made excuses for the horrific products and continued to give them the benefit of the doubt for too long. I was far too passive.

Hopefully if you're considering purchasing AI products, you read this first and decide for yourself.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is disappointing. I have noticed a steep decline in customer service since they all merged into Aperture Pet and Life. That goes across the board to all their brands. Most people have to email them it seems, because they are never available to answer the phone. I hope you find a resolution that is acceptable.

Joshevelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance would you sell any Hydra 26 for spare parts?

I currently own six, and one needs repair, I faced the same situation with customer support years ago, I am done with them, but buying new illumination is quite expensive, so I would rather fix them.

Please let me know if you could sell one or two Hydras 26, I could use the spare parts, I am an electronics engineer.

Thanks!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance would you sell any Hydra 26 for spare parts?

I currently own six, and one needs repair, I faced the same situation with customer support years ago, I am done with them, but buying new illumination is quite expensive, so I would rather fix them.

Please let me know if you could sell one or two Hydras 26, I could use the spare parts, I am an electronics engineer.

Thanks!
They took my units and I ended up buying new at a “discount”. I have two others that have LEDs out but I’d rather send them in and get replacements to have extra in stock.

If I change my mind I’ll let you know! :)

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back