Abyzz A200 pump and Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon 3 230W side by side

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyzz A200 pump and Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon 3 230W pumps currently running on my 375 on 2 closed loops.

So far I am very happy with both. I had an issue with the Abyzz pump in the beginning which turned out to be my fault. It seemed I needed more outputs on my closed loop. Not having enough caused the pump to vibrate a lot. Once I found out who was running support for the Abyzz I was able to get new parts to re-plumb it. CoralVue is a great company and currently running support for Abyzz.

I currently have both pumps hard plumbed into 2 separate closed loops without any noise issues. The only issue I have currently is with the plumbing. Sadly I found some leaks that I am fixing and one new ball valve stopped opening and closing. Once it gets warm out in the spring or summer I will drain the tank to fix it. I will be seeing how the support is for the Red Dragon because I will need some parts. :)

I currently have the A200 set to random mode going between 60-100%. It randomly changes the speed and various times. It has a wave mode that I have not tried yet but may in the future. The Red Dragon is set to 100% right now. I have not had time yet to play with the controller but it looks like it has some nice modes as well.

IMG_0191.jpg

Both Pumps

IMG_0192.jpg

Red Dragon 3

IMG_0194.jpg

Red Dragon open

IMG_0195.jpg

Abyzz Impeller

IMG_0196.jpg

Abyzz Impeller

IMG_0197.jpg

Abyzz Impeller

IMG_0198.jpg

RD3 Impeller

IMG_0199.jpg

RD3 Impeller

IMG_0200.jpg

RD3 Impeller Housing

IMG_0201.jpg

RD3 Impeller

IMG_0202.jpg

Abyzz Impeller

IMG_0204.jpg

Both Impellers

IMG_0205.jpg

Abyzz Impeller/Pump

IMG_0207.jpg

Abyzz Pump

IMG_0208.jpg

RD3 Pump

IMG_0215.jpg

RD3 Controller

IMG_0216.jpg

Abyzz Controller

Both are great pumps and quiet. You could not go wrong with either.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice comparison. Thanks for sharing. Took a quick peak at your build thread. How is the tank doing?

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is getting better. I am not having luck with corals since my sandbed got messed up last year I have not been able to get any SPS to live.

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Abyzz A200 around Thanksgiving. Did the plumbing change and installed the A200 with a manifold setup. This A200 is dead silent! My previous return pump is Mag 9.5 (90 W), and I had a valve to turn down the flow a bit. Now with A200, I am only running at 37W, 47% power. Awesome pump!

Lillken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need parts for the red dragon You could check out aquarium specialty I’ve bought that from them before for my pump

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the tank temp has gone up to 80 Degrees from 76 with the Red Dragon running at 100%

I have set the controller to run at 160Watt for most of the day and then jump to 230W a few hours a day. I wish the controller would let me do speed adjustments more than once a day like the Abyzz controller does.

I do think I will need to change something on the output, right now its T'd to 2" bulks. The flow does not push far out. I am going to try and drop them down to 1" or so maybe. Whatever I do I have to make sure I can keep the snails and stuff out of the pipes.

I am waiting on the parts to be added online and I will order them but I have everything figured out that I really do not need them.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have done what no one else has I guess. The driver for the A200 is dead. Support has been contacted and they responded but I have to wait until tomorrow to find out what will happen. I have not even had it a month and it's already having issues. I guess they have to contact Germany to find out how they want to handle my issue. Very disappointed to have to wait but at least this is not my return pump.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the tank temp has gone up to 80 Degrees from 76 with the Red Dragon running at 100%

I have set the controller to run at 160Watt for most of the day and then jump to 230W a few hours a day. I wish the controller would let me do speed adjustments more than once a day like the Abyzz controller does.

I do think I will need to change something on the output, right now its T'd to 2" bulks. The flow does not push far out. I am going to try and drop them down to 1" or so maybe. Whatever I do I have to make sure I can keep the snails and stuff out of the pipes.

I am waiting on the parts to be added online and I will order them but I have everything figured out that I really do not need them.

I have been eyeing these 2 pumps, but do not want to pay the full price for the pumps. Was hoping to see them on sale during the holidays, but no luck so far.

I have a reeflo dart running my return and manifold on my 255 display. Looking for a silent pump to replace my super work horse pump. So there is allot of heat generated from the Red Dragon? that is huge temp increase. How about the Abyzz? Any heat from it?

Can either pump replace a dart with no heat exchange like the dart? Do you have to clean the pumps? Just asking because I never touch my dart until the seals need changed.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have done what no one else has I guess. The driver for the A200 is dead. Support has been contacted and they responded but I have to wait until tomorrow to find out what will happen. I have not even had it a month and it's already having issues. I guess they have to contact Germany to find out how they want to handle my issue. Very disappointed to have to wait but at least this is not my return pump.

HOw did that happen? What is your return pump?

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a closed loop pump. A new one is on the way, will be here Friday.
Not sure what happened to it, it just stopped working, no power to the pump and the display was dead.
It was mounted in a cabinet on the side of my aquarium with no door so it got alot of air around it.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been eyeing these 2 pumps, but do not want to pay the full price for the pumps. Was hoping to see them on sale during the holidays, but no luck so far.

I have a reeflo dart running my return and manifold on my 255 display. Looking for a silent pump to replace my super work horse pump. So there is allot of heat generated from the Red Dragon? that is huge temp increase. How about the Abyzz? Any heat from it?

Can either pump replace a dart with no heat exchange like the dart? Do you have to clean the pumps? Just asking because I never touch my dart until the seals need changed.

From others with the same pumps, they have never touched the pump in the 2-4 years they have had them.

Both pumps are quiet and the Abyzz is warm to the touch but not hot, the Red Dragon is cool to the touch but its controller gets really hot!
From my testing, the tank temp barely went up from either of the pumps and both are external.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the new controller came and I am getting low volt error on it
frown.gif
this is very aggravating. Support is closed until Monday so no solution until then.
Also most ready to return it and get another Red Dragon.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. sorry to hear. Sounds like both the pumps still have some bugs to be worked out. So what is your return pump? what brand?

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
They sent me a 2 controller. It works but was damaged in shipping.

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg
Coral view needs to review their packing or abyzz needs to improve it. I have an a200 and when received it the pump and controller is rolling over inside the box.
Got small dins on the controller too. And the inlet chipped. Got replace front cover by coralvue, but it don't think they are willing to replace the controller. At least I didn't force them to swap the controller. But it is very disappointed when you receive an expensive item like that .

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral view needs to review their packing or abyzz needs to improve it. I have an a200 and when received it the pump and controller is rolling over inside the box.
Got small dins on the controller too. And the inlet chipped. Got replace front cover by coralvue, but it don't think they are willing to replace the controller. At least I didn't force them to swap the controller. But it is very disappointed when you receive an expensive item like that .

Yeah that is my biggest issue, it was shipped in a small box and with one wrap of bubble wrap around it. Not enough when you think about what I spent on the unit. I put a lot of money into this unit and now have one that has a bent mounting bracket. Not sure what other damage will come from the drop that happened during shipping. I do have 10 years if the unit stops again. I hope it does not but one never knows.
They do not seem to even care to send me a unit that is now damaged because to them it works so all is good!

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is my biggest issue, it was shipped in a small box and with one wrap of bubble wrap around it. Not enough when you think about what I spent on the unit. I put a lot of money into this unit and now have one that has a bent mounting bracket. Not sure what other damage will come from the drop that happened during shipping. I do have 10 years if the unit stops again. I hope it does not but one never knows.
They do not seem to even care to send me a unit that is now damaged because to them it works so all is good!
I think you need to force coralvue to replace the controller unit. It is not supposed to be this way but from what I have been contacted with coralvue they are not willing to swap the controller with this kind of cosmetic damage unless you force them, but they should.

Coralvue said it is something related to abyzz box, and I understand that. No secure way on how the pump and controller is going to fix inside the box. But coralvue should figure it out since they are right now the only distributer in state.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back