Acan Head popped off what can I do?

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my acan frag I had two heads and the second one popped off. What can I do with the second head. Am I able to glue it to a new frag or do I just leave it destined to float around tank. I know about polyp bail out and all that and why it could have happened and fixed the issue. My concern now is trying to save the head that popped off and what I can do. Below are some photos where my acan head currently is. I placed it on the rock for now. Thanks for any help or ideas.

E709022F-0514-4626-8AFD-40EAD01BCDFA.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a goner. There’s no way to reattach it and it won’t grow a new skeleton. I think in the wild they may have a chance or can still spawn, but in an aquarium it’s not going to happen. I’ve seen one person keep a hammer polyp alive for nearly a year, but it never grew a new skeleton. You can try and corral it somewhere and just see what it does, but the prognosis is grim.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would attach to a rock or plug. I have a blast that a head popped off and the wife glued it to a plug. I didn't think it would last, but it's still alive after 6-7 months.

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Polyp bailout" is caused then the conditions are unfavourable. If they land in a favourable spot, they will nucleate a new skeleton and grow from there. If not, they die.

From the pics, looks like there is a great feeding response but the numerous spaghetti worms may be irritating it.

If you can retrieve the bailed polyp, place in a clear perforated container with a lid, ie take out containers, place some clean aragonite substrate on the bottom with the bailed polyp. Its a PITA but daily routine will be spot feeding and gently clean with blowing of detritus with a baster.

I've done this with various Euphyllia (branch and wall form), Trach brains and Elegance corals and my "success" rate is around 75%.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back