Acan not lasting 1 day in aquarium

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to diagnose what’s going on in my tank. I bought a healthy Acan yesterday and 24 hours later it looks like this

1679356239430.jpeg

I did an ICP test about a month ago and the only things that came back as a big problem were some trace copper and low iodine. I’ve run cupsorb and carbon since. I have other LPS (hammers) that are doing great and have to be fragged constantly. I bought a torch yesterday and it has opened up and looks great. I put the acan near the bottom of the tank to acclimate and turned the lights down yesterday but it looks like it’s dying already.

Any idea what could cause this? I’m trying to be able to move towards SPS in my tank but I’m afraid to try anything big when stuff like this doesn’t seem to survive.

Nitrate - 5 (going down)
Phos - .21 (going down)
Calcium - 430
Alk - 8.1
Mag - 1430

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to diagnose what’s going on in my tank. I bought a healthy Acan yesterday and 24 hours later it looks like this

1679356239430.jpeg

I did an ICP test about a month ago and the only things that came back as a big problem were some trace copper and low iodine. I’ve run cupsorb and carbon since. I have other LPS (hammers) that are doing great and have to be fragged constantly. I bought a torch yesterday and it has opened up and looks great. I put the acan near the bottom of the tank to acclimate and turned the lights down yesterday but it looks like it’s dying already.

Any idea what could cause this? I’m trying to be able to move towards SPS in my tank but I’m afraid to try anything big when stuff like this doesn’t seem to survive.

Nitrate - 5 (going down)
Phos - .21 (going down)
Calcium - 430
Alk - 8.1
Mag - 1430
Any critters, crabs or shrimp that might be snacking?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

1679356239430.jpeg

Nitrate - 5 (going down)
Phos - .21 (going down)
Calcium - 430
Alk - 8.1
Mag - 1430
how did you acclimate it ?
I would not drop nitrate . Phosphate quite elevated but should not take down this coral this quickly. What was salinity in bag ?
You seem to have done the right steps with introduction under low lighting.
Strong flow would be another cause or a weakened coral when purchased would be another.

OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you acclimate it ?
I would not drop nitrate . Phosphate quite elevated but should not take down this coral this quickly. What was salinity in bag ?
You seem to have done the right steps with introduction under low lighting.
Strong flow would be another cause or a weakened coral when purchased would be another.
Dropping nitrate is just from adjusting feeding. Phos has been on phosban /GFO for a while.

salinity at the place I buy from and my tank are 1.025.

Drip acclimated over an hour.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think a jewel damsel would do /that/. That's bad.

It may not be entirely dead, though. LPS can regrow from tiny shards of flesh left on skeletons. Pop it in the tank and let it alone; it's got a chance.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For it to have died that quickly I would definitely turn to one of the inhabitants of your tank. As stated peppermint shrimp are notorious for going after some LPS corals. Your water parameters would have to be horrible to nuke an LPS piece like that so quickly. We had one customer who kept loosing hammers overnight. He ended up buying a cheap webcam on amazon to watch a new hammer he added and sure enough one of his fish were the culprits.

OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For it to have died that quickly I would definitely turn to one of the inhabitants of your tank. As stated peppermint shrimp are notorious for going after some LPS corals. Your water parameters would have to be horrible to nuke an LPS piece like that so quickly. We had one customer who kept loosing hammers overnight. He ended up buying a cheap webcam on amazon to watch a new hammer he added and sure enough one of his fish were the culprits.
Wife suggested the camera yesterday. I’ll try to set one up.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a long spine urchin that slurped up my acans like clams on the half shell. I caught him in the act twice and took him back to the lfs. Hope you figure it out!

Back