Accel Aquatics Bio Pellet Reactor - Has Anyone used?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used the Accel Bio pellet reactor?

I am on the market for a Bio pellet reactor and researched many brands. I was sold on the reef octopus as their products are always tried and true.. However, I recently came across the Accel is reactor and the ability to fill it without removing the lid seems great... Also, the way the flow comes from the middle with an educator seem like it will avoid clogging of media such as AIO

Unfortunately, its out of stock everywhere ive looked.

Would anyone recommend this? Would you recommend something else.. Please note budget is $100-$150

http://www.marinedepot.com/Accel_Aq...ctors-Accel_Aquatics-6H94583-FIFRISBP-vi.html

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a great reactor. I have used mine for six months without one single complaint. Very definitely one of the best pieces of equipment I've purchased deafly for the best value. Would highly recommend it.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Accel Bio pellet reactor is rebadge of a Hydra Bio Pellet Reactor and I have that model, they are good reactors. the price is cheaper for the Accel model than the Hydra model.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Accel Bio pellet reactor is rebadge of a Hydra Bio Pellet Reactor and I have that model, they are good reactors. the price is cheaper for the Accel model than the Hydra model.

It seems the hydra model is discontinued and the was replaced by the Accel. I can't find either anywhere so its unfortunate. At this point its the best design i've found and considering buying a used reactor and modifying the chambers with an eductor in the middle and media filler on the top. Rather just purchase one but I have few weeks before I setup my tank and going to stock slowly so not concerned with adding until increased bio load.

mtnrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed an Accel multi-media fluidized actor, the FR-30 model. I had another brand but had occasional clogging issue that they all will when they rely on the small slits for flow. I too was impressed with the new approach of churning the bio-pellets by blowing water down onto the pellets.

The unit was quick and easy to setup and it immediately began churning the pellets. The top does have a screw plug that allows for easy addition of more pellets.

Time will tell, but so far so good.

e52bffd5b2f8d6cac2baa02c10f53817.jpg

8d4e743c03acd57b86bd70a2ead34d12.jpg

9a036c309607f730cd399f5d9063d6ff.jpg

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The model is discontinued.

If you want a Hydra try Aquatic Warehouse in Kearny Mesa San Diego they have them on the shelf and they do ship.
If you want a Accel model I know that Marinedepot has been promoting them they should be in stock but you will have to check.

mtnrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed an Accel multi-media fluidized actor, the FR-30 model. I had another brand but had occasional clogging issue that they all will when they rely on the small slits for flow. I too was impressed with the new approach of churning the bio-pellets by blowing water down onto the pellets.

The unit was quick and easy to setup and it immediately began churning the pellets. The top does have a screw plug that allows for easy addition of more pellets.

Time will tell, but so far so good.

e52bffd5b2f8d6cac2baa02c10f53817.jpg

9a036c309607f730cd399f5d9063d6ff.jpg

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Follow up on this reactor... it is working like a charm and keeps the media tumbling. I recommend this model for sure.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked this reactor design and price the most....However, I opted not to use the bio-pellet reactor as I have a refugium and skimmer (which has to be turned of 40% of the time), and still having to dose nitrates monthly to keep at 3-5PPM. Original desire to use pellets was trying to copy krzysztof tryc; who swears by bio-pellets. However, his corals are wild and used to those ultra low nutrient environments aslong as you feed them. I think our tanks in the states with aquacultured nubs need nitrates and phosphates otherwise they just fade out and croke! So in short, copy your idol tanks with a big grain of salt...

Nav80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a link to mine running. I think that its a bit loud. Do you guys have any solutions for this problem?

Nav80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a link to mine running. I think that its a bit loud. Do you guys have any solutions for this problem?

Nav80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I was worried that I was going to have to take it off lol.

Rocks reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also turn the flow down, no need to tumble them quite so fast

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would get this model, I used a Quiet One 1200 model, I used this one my 120 gallon tank, if you put too much pellets in it will strip your tank not so good. If your skimmer has skimmate coming out of the lid lower the amount of pellets.

Jiri Kocourek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, One question about FR-45 or 30. What is the inside diameter of the cylinder and diameter of central white tube please? Thank you

wmscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the inlet elbow meant to be glued or press fit in place?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back