** Accidental Alk Overdose (Part A Siphon into Tank) ** (How to bring Alk Down)? Vinegar?Citric Acid? ** OTHER OPTION (Move Corals to Holding Tank)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLOSE TO MATCH ( Day 3 )

Interesting (Expected) Observation.

2020-07-07_AlkSpikeDay3-AlkDelta.jpg

The Small 35 Gallon Holding Tank (loaded with Corals) is consuming ALK quite quickly.

The 100G DT is dropping but not as fast.

The Last Water 5Gal Water CHange on Holding Tank has things really close.

2020-07-07_AlkSpikeDay3-WaterParamCompares.jpg

Working on P in holding tank (GFO&WC), N is matched at 2.5ppm
One more water change Late tonight should line things up near DEAD ON perfect.

TIME TO START moving Corals Back. (Monti's and Less Sensitives FIRST)

Will take my time to put things back nicely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.....I started, and I just needed to Finish......

5 Day ago........ Save the Tank fiasco...... (I think I did the right thing...Lost not one SPS at this point)

2020-07-06_AlkSpikeRestart-110G-Day-1.jpg

BEFORE This all began.....

50024857397_6b26a0c6aa_b.jpg

and THE ENDING....... Project GENESIS (II) SPIKEd !!

50089365037_ced5a46eba_h.jpg

The corals are still stressed from the Fresh Move Back.....

Time will tell if they all make it.

I do like the clean up, and the new Rock/Placement Adjustments. (Fish have more nooks and caves too)

Onward......and this time back to the Tank Thread.
★★★ Project " GENESIS (II) 2020 " ★ [ Re-Engineered / REBOOT ] ★ SPS 110G ★★★

* I NEVER WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN **
EVER!!

THE END
Wally B​

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
glad to hear..still have a couple days extra ,nice job ,Wally :cool:

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to hear..still have a couple days extra ,nice job ,Wally :cool:
Thanks @fishguy242 . Appreciate your support!!

I'll need those two days......One reason I decided to finish the Job.
Place is a mess from all the cleaning, scrubbing, Frag Cut offs. I also decalcified all the pumps too.
My hands are covered in putty residue and crazy glue from all the remounts. (but things are solid this time. Rocks too)

Poor Emerald Crabs and Turbo Snails, since I scrubbed off every bit of Algae in the DT rocks, glass, etc.
They can lick off the algae smears, and will hopefully keep things in good shape going forward.

I still have to monitor closely N, P and Alk, till Alk Drops back to 8.0, and then I bring back online the ATS and Doser.

Oh well. Time to rest till tomorrow.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Better ENDING * FOUND ROOT Cause for OverDose on Part A ***

LESSONS LEARNED!!

I dicided to clean up the Mess, before things start to smell......

Over last few days, I didn't have time to investigate why the Part A Over Dose (100% conclusively).
-> I had a hunch that it was a Siphon, since it happened when I turned off the Return Pump.
-> Sump Filled and Dosing Line submerged under water.
It happened while I was doing water change, and I was lucky to notice the PH spike.

I knew my Doser (DIY) could not have overdosed. I spent a year writing/TESTING-Endlessly the code to be Bulllet proof.
Even had logic to never dose over MAX-Limit on every pump (no matter what).
Max was set to 100ml, but 700 ml went into tank.

I was sweeping the Floor and I glanced at the Doser.

I then noticed the difference between KAMOER [[Pump 1 (Alk),Pump 2/3 ]] and [[pump 4/5]].

2020-07-08_DosingPump-WrongOutterDiameterDosingTube.jpg

That doser has been running for 4 years. But last year I ordered replacement Tubing.
The tubing was a smaller Outter Diameter. It worked, so I used it.

But at just the right turn, the 3 ROLLER pinch may not be complete (If tube too narrow).

So the MOONS, STARS, and the BLACK HOLE ALIGNED for this MISHAP.

- The doser was fine. It dosed properly. Logs show it dosed Properly just like every other day. For years.
-------> Even if a Typo Dose was entered, it wouldn't over dose beyond Logical Limit. (That didn't happen)

- IF Dosing Lines were out of water, ( It wouldn't start a siphon)
- If I used proper Diameter Tubing tubing like Pump 3/4 (it would Not have happend)
- If I had the Part A Container BELOW the Sump (it never would have happened)
- If the Dosing pump didn't dose at the Time of the Water Change (it never would have happened)

- And the Real STAR/MOON alignment is
(If the Dosing Pump didn't stop at the weak pinch point, while sump was full, and dosing line for Part A under Water.)..........
.......The Siphon wouldn't have started.

And Why did Pump A only Siphon?
I recently put in a NEW dosing line holder (made on my 3D printer) into the Sump (A Week ago), when I installed the Clip (rushing to cottage)......

2020-07-08_DosingLineALonger.jpg

The Dosing ALK line was slightly longer than Pump B. (So ALK tube reached Sump Water to start the Sihpon)
.....Or quite possiby that Part B did not siphon snce pinch was ok.

All will be fixed, and Lesson Learned.

Hope anyone reading this learns something too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, many folks do that.
Thanks Randy,
I'm going to add Muratic Acid to My Emergency Supply Shelf. (Hopefully to be never used).
Is there a calculation based on the Muriatic Concentation (x), (ml) to bring down Alk (n dKh).
(Might be in one of your Articles. I'l re-read).

No need for Muratic at this point. My DT ALk is naturally dropping, and speeding up now that Corals Have been put All back.
No dosing on, but I will turn on when I reach my Target level.

2020-07-08_AlkDropping.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK Accident (RETIRES OLD DOSER) ... a little soon...Good Purpose..

I already built a replacement Doser, so now the time is right as I fixed up all my mistake causing the Alk Spike.
Before I leave again....

2020-07-09_AquaNutriFrozenFeeder-1.jpg

I actually finished the New Doser IQ+ just a few Week ago.

It will be integrated with the AquaMon DIY Alk Monitor that I built a few Months ago.
Together they will MONITOR ALK and DOSE (2 Part) in all my 3 Tanks.
EVENTUALLY. 100% Automatic, but too soon for that (till I devise a Algorythm/Logic after much testing)

The Graphs and the Charts seen in previous Post are all Part of the Common WEB Interface I made for the Alk Monitor. (Alk MOnitor is a Robotic Hanna Alk Tester)

Both The Alk-Mon and the Doser-IQ are Remote web access and I can control EVERYTHING when away from Home as well.

2020-07-09_AquaNutriFrozenFeeder-2.jpg

So what about the OLD DOSER??

I never throw anything out (that's useful)

So it's converted into a Vacation Frozen Feeder.

2020-07-09_AquaNutriFrozenFeeder-3.jpg

Simple re-use of exiting features in the DIY DOSER:

- The Coolatron Cooler (too Small for vacations) will be keep things cool on DC Power
- The Magenetic Stirred Run by the Doser will now Stirr up the Frozen Food Soup (Recipie=RoWater+cubes).
- And The Doser will send Frozen, Cool Soup to the 3 Tanks (while I'm away)

Now I can go away, without any worries this time.....

If it Siphons and over feeds....FISH WILL LOVE IT :) :) Corals TOO!! :) :) :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POST SPIKE (UPDATE) Alk Dropped Close to Target (Turning On Dosing NOW).
One SPS Burned TIP/ (Alk? Lighting)

So things are going well in general.

Everything fine....Except One SPS my ORA PerlBerry got burned tips. I think I placed it too high compared to where it was before, since it happened after move back (today)

SO I decided to Lower Lighting Intensity since the Tank is extremly Bright with the Polished Water.
I reduced down 50% on the LEDs, but left T5's the Same. Will acclimate LED up over next 6 weeks.

2020-07-10_PostAlkSpikeDTUpdate.jpg

Alk continues to drop, and appears to be speeding up.

2020-07-10_PostSpikeAlkDrop.jpg

To be on the Safe side I will be turning on TWO Part Dosing with small amounts to slow down the ALK Drop.
Eventually get ALK to stabilize at 8.0.

I got my N up to 5.0 pppm, and am adding Amino's nightly for SPS nutrients/Healing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE REAL END END (Last Sanity Check) ** NO more RISKS **

I think I've done enough SPS Coral Whacking for a while.......They need some stability to start their recovery to health.

So although I restored DOSING on the NEW Smart IQ Doser The First 24 hours will be a bit on the Cautious side.

-> Dosing into two Vials, and will be ADDED BY HAND till DOSER Calibration/Programming is validated.
2020-07-11_DosingTest-DoubleSanityCheck.jpg

-> Dosing Head Silicone Lines are all Kamoer Factory Proper Diameter.
-> Dosing Container Below Dosing Line Exit level.
-> DOsing Line Holder Clip is installed HIGH ABOVE the SUMP, so Siphon NO longer POSSIBLE

(I've re-name the TITLE of this thread removing the *HELP-Emergency*Attention*, and leaving content for pure Information/Reference)

Coral recovery and progress updates will be on my Tank Thread.

Take Care,

Wally B

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wait a minute..saga cannot end,until you return ,from your trip;):) hung this far,would like to see in few days..please and great ,thinking,engineering,thanks!!!:cool:

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait a minute..saga cannot end,until you return ,from your trip;):) hung this far,would like to see in few days..please and great ,thinking,engineering,thanks!!!:cool:
Ok.
I'll do an update in a week or two or a month, to show the Long Term Results (of my actions)

I can say one thing. LOWERING THE LIGHTING (and enabling 6 week aclimation) yesterday was the right thing to do. (Less shock for gentle recovery). It's actually noticible (visually). Since water got too clear and lighting was blinding bright.

Alk is now getting stable with dosing ON FULLY AUTO and I almost went out and got a few fresh Frags to have a reference/baseline between shocked Frags, and New Frags......

After thinking I STOPPED myself. GOT TO Excercise Patience. Learned that it's key to success (and less money down the drain)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I PROMISE to Re-Enroll in PATIENCE THERAPY (due to Small Set back)

First the Good News on Alk Stability......(with Dosing back on)

I chose 8.5 to be on Save Side and not sink below 8.0. The drop to 8, will be VERY Gradual.

2020-07-12_AlkSpikeAlkStable.jpg

I nailed Stability on the First Try....Thanks to this Handy Tool. (Very Accurate, for my ESV two Part)
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

The BAD NEWS....
2020-07-12_NewFragsForRecoveryReference.jpg

I have reasons...

1) Well I had to get some Hanna Alk Regeant to keep my Alk MOnitor running. So I didn't plan getting New Frags.

2) They was a SALE (buy 3 get one free). One wasn't the Deal. And One was the PearlBerry that didn't make the Alk Spike.

3) I was very Patient for a Whole Week and a bit (last week)

4) Today we as a Family of 5, just officially Cancelled our Caribbean Snorkling Vacation Booked 9 months ago. Highly Aticipated, and big let down.... For Up Coming Aug 15-22. (Just makes Safe Sense)
-----> To Risky, with Covid..and Expedia/Airline just changed Refund Policy 2 days ago, and we got 90% Refund Cash/NOT Credit.
-----> I Won't see the Real Reef In Turks and Caicos (Grace Bay) so this will help Heal my Feelings of Loss x2.

5) I will take a re-Fresher in Patience Control with My Reef Tank Therapist(s)="My Fish"

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Justification for getting a Few Frags.

Found these Photo's from Few Years ago. Last time we were there.

This is what I just cancelled today. It was a Last Chance Vacation for all 5 of us.

Kids are growing up, One in University and Another starting Next year. So a trip again may not be possible.

This is/was....
(Turtle Cove Reef Santuary Park) Turks and Caicos. Walk in Snorkelling from Shore.

The Most Crystal Clear Water I've ever Seen, and I'm a Diver, that has Dove a few Nice Places.
Snorkling Here is better than Real Reef Diving off a Boat. $FREE$ too.
TurksBeach.jpg

Grace Bay is protected from the Rough Ocean, so water is calm and Flat Like Glasss.

Those Bouys on the Right Is the Reef, and you snorkle around it.
Juts out in spots so you enter the Reef. and you see SPS Corals, Huge Brains, Fish of all kinds. And one early Morning, Sea Turtles.

Got this TANG School Photo.
2017-08-19_22-58-14.jpg

2017-08-19_23-12-18.jpg

2017-08-19_23-30-10.jpg

The Sea Fans were out of this World Colorful.
2017-08-19_23-09-10.jpg

2017-08-19_23-05-32.jpg

A school of ??? Fish !! THOUSANDS!!!
2017-08-20_0-09-08.jpg

2017-08-20_1-47-28.jpg

I got this photo....I chased him down. Then he turned on me...Got interested in my Shiny Camera...
I actually dropped the Camera to give hime what he wanter and High Tailed to Shore.
Most Scared I've been in the ocean. And I've seen sharks from a distance while in water.
These Baracuda's Have NASTY SMILES (with the Long Spiky Teeth).....This guy is about 4+ Feet Long
2017-08-20_0-25-08.jpg

After RainFall Sunset.
2017-08-20_0-14-15.jpg

So, A few Frags, to Cheer up the Tank and me....is OK!

I actually started this Reef Tank Hobby after first Dive Trip and Certification in Mexico. 2+ Decades ago.
The Santa Rosa Wall is where I got certified.
I wanted a Reef at Home, after that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So This the Tank with the New Frags.

The 5 Newbies stand out like Glaring Bright Thumbs.

Hopefully the Shocked Oldies come back to full Health....and look 1/2 as good. (Some look pretty good already)

Not The Turks Reef I was hoping to see in a Few Weeks.....Can't swim in it.

50106024508_3046f5caef_h.jpg

Take care.....Till Next Update.

WallyB

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to hear about trip,is sad ,you will be able again i hope,stunning photos,thanks for sharing ;)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LITTLE SUMMARY (DATA VIEW from Auto-ALk-Monitor and DOSER-IQ)

This accident (since things went well) has turned out to be a good thing on Data Gathering for my Alk Monitor/Smart Doser evolution.

I posted this on my ALk Monitor thread ....It 's my build Journal.
Alkalinity-monitor-*-3-tank-hanna-with-raspberry-pi-ardiuno-with-advanced-features-*

However this Shows the ALK SPIKE, Recovery and stabilization over the last week and a half.

2020-07-15_AlkSpikeRecovery-Graph.jpg

Switching over to the NEW Smart Doser made things easier since I had finger tip WEB Access (even if I was away from home)

2020-07-15_DoserAdjustmentPanel.jpg

But the greatest value was the Alk Monitor Report that had more than Alk Data Points. The Auto Calculated Delta's were handy, and I plan to enhance more statitical calculation like (% Changed), etc

2020-07-15_AlkSpikeRecovery-Table.jpg

With the right Stats, I'll be able to develop the Algorythm to Adjust dosing Automatically. (I planned on this but Stable ALk data points didn't give me much to go on)

At this point it's alk. CAL, MAG, PO4, NO3 are manual inputs.
Yet stats on N&P
may help me develop a way to Control N&P with adjustment to my GFO reactor and the PHoto Period of my Algae Scrubber.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back