Accidentally jabbed my Zoa with a soft rubber tip tweezer and a white milky substance came out. Palytoxin?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some Sunny Ds I was trying to dislodge a gently glued down frag plug from my rock and my tweezers I was using slipped and jabbed one of the polyps. Didn’t break skin on it or anything, the tips are rubberized and pretty soft. But it secreated a white substance that looked like milk almost. Just wondering if that’s what Palytoxin looks like? My pumps are off so it kind of just settled and you can kind of see it in this pic to the right by the top most head as well as a bit more in the foreground

E6B61359-9548-46B2-8CF0-4FB0AD7C702C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
possibly toxins. Run some carbon (Good Carbon) in the path of water flow

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, might just be that it did cut and it’s expelling what was in its stomach, I would air on the side of caution and say it’s toxic... so I mean depending on your tank volume, no big deal, if you have a skimmer or carbon running you’ll be fine it’ll take out the toxin if not and your worried do a water change... in my experience I just let my filtration handle it if it’s only a polyp or two anything bigger I’ll just do a water change

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be, might just be that it did cut and it’s expelling what was in its stomach, I would air on the side of caution and say it’s toxic... so I mean depending on your tank volume, no big deal, if you have a skimmer or carbon running you’ll be fine it’ll take out the toxin if not and your worried do a water change... in my experience I just let my filtration handle it if it’s only a polyp or two anything bigger I’ll just do a water change

I think it’s impossible to cut it with these things, they are actually annoying soft, so it kind of just squished it a little.

I am running carbon already so not super worried there, more concerned about myself and my own exposure. It is a 15g

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s impossible to cut it with these things, they are actually annoying soft, so it kind of just squished it a little.

I am running carbon already so not super worried there, more concerned about myself and my own exposure. It is a 15g
You will be fine it’s contained in your water just refrain from putting your bare hands in there for a few hours and you’re good... only time it can become airborne is if it’s boiled or if the liquid is misted into the air

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I already run carbon but I’m more concerned about myself being exposed
as long as you have good surface/water exchange, it will dissipate in the atmosphere, rather than linger in the aquarium.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol I’m not a chemist but I have a lot of zoas and have fragged and mistakenly cut mine before it’s never been a problem
Yeah I like somewhat accidentally poked it and it was under water. People cut these things with a blade and are ok. I figure it’s like 99.9% ok but why does everything beautiful have to be deadly lol

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I like somewhat accidentally poked it and it was under water. People cut these things with a blade and are ok. I figure it’s like 99.9% ok but why does everything beautiful have to be deadly lol
I guess it’s just the way nature works yeah I mean I cut them all the time outside of water, sometimes I don’t take all the precautions I should(I don’t recommend that lol don’t do what I do) I just remember to always wash my hands and don’t cut them if I have an open wound and wear eye protection and I’m good have been for years just common sense stuff don’t rub your eyes touch your face or anything lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back