accidentally poisoned my fish, i have brought shame and dishonor upon this forum

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey y'all, this was a few days ago now and the problem is fixed (i think...) but wanted tips for what I could have done:

I had just cleaned my filter socks like I usually do (o/n 1:1 bleach:water; o/n water+prime; o/n dry, plus or minus a day usually) and replaced them in the tank. I had also put in some macroalgae I ordered. Fish were swimming and eating everyone was doing great (1x royal gramma, 2x oscellaris)

I came back a couple hours later to everyone on the sandbed, sitting in the flow, gasping. I panicked - why are my fish dying??? (and why doesn't my cleaner shrimp have a care in the world???) It must be residual bleach probably? My corals were not happy about whatever was happening were all closing up. I immediately took out the socks, and noticed a little more bubble than I usually see. I poured prime in the tank and started making water immediately. This still took a little while, but eventually I tossed them in the bucket but I think it was too stressful and they continued to deteriorate. By this point I had found something online about "splashless bleach" and how the detergent will rapidly de-oxygenate the water...that probably explained the bubbles I thought. I checked the new bottle I used and bingo! it was splashless... :'( It was too late at this point to save my fish. I lost them all and I was pretty devastated. I did a 10% water change that night cause that's what I could do, and the next day I did a ~30% water change. After a few days the corals opened back up, although my ricordia doesn't seem to be in the best mood. I bought some carbon for the filters.

I took the "bad" socks and pressure-rinsed them in the shower to check, and it started foaming! It didn't show up the first time I rinsed them though? I must not have been paying attention. Anyway, I'm picking up the pieces now and will add another pair of clowns and a gramma, they are my favorite stockings. It won't be the same, though :\

was there anything else I could/should have done? Anyway to test for ...detergent(?) or do I hope it gets dissolved/evaporates/disintegrates/filtered away/diluted out?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

I didn't know about splash-less bleach till I read this.
I hope at least your learning experience and sharing with us.... saves others from a similar grief.

I know exactly how you feel when you lose established fish. It's a awful feeling.

When things are safe in your system, and you get some replacement fish, it will help (a bit).

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eliminate the use of bleach its really not needed. I just take a garden hose to my socks, hang the extra ones to dry outside and take one I just hosed off and put it right back in the sump. Never had any issues washing them off with the hose and putting them back to use.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read some years ago in Coral Magazine, (yes that long ago!), about not using splashless bleach as it has extra stuff that won't come out with Prime.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you loss. Its always sad. :(

Yeah, splashless bleach is no bueno. I almost did the same thing but caught it in time.

I spray my socks with a hose outside. Then I run my washing machine empty on hot. Then I toss the socks in with some bleach and run on hot again with a second rinse. Then let em dry completely. This has worked for years. But I'm always worried of residual soap...

I used to just soak in a small brute with bleach and water. Then blast with a hose and let em dry.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey y'all, this was a few days ago now and the problem is fixed (i think...) but wanted tips for what I could have done:

I had just cleaned my filter socks like I usually do (o/n 1:1 bleach:water; o/n water+prime; o/n dry, plus or minus a day usually) and replaced them in the tank. I had also put in some macroalgae I ordered. Fish were swimming and eating everyone was doing great (1x royal gramma, 2x oscellaris)

I came back a couple hours later to everyone on the sandbed, sitting in the flow, gasping. I panicked - why are my fish dying??? (and why doesn't my cleaner shrimp have a care in the world???) It must be residual bleach probably? My corals were not happy about whatever was happening were all closing up. I immediately took out the socks, and noticed a little more bubble than I usually see. I poured prime in the tank and started making water immediately. This still took a little while, but eventually I tossed them in the bucket but I think it was too stressful and they continued to deteriorate. By this point I had found something online about "splashless bleach" and how the detergent will rapidly de-oxygenate the water...that probably explained the bubbles I thought. I checked the new bottle I used and bingo! it was splashless... :'( It was too late at this point to save my fish. I lost them all and I was pretty devastated. I did a 10% water change that night cause that's what I could do, and the next day I did a ~30% water change. After a few days the corals opened back up, although my ricordia doesn't seem to be in the best mood. I bought some carbon for the filters.

I took the "bad" socks and pressure-rinsed them in the shower to check, and it started foaming! It didn't show up the first time I rinsed them though? I must not have been paying attention. Anyway, I'm picking up the pieces now and will add another pair of clowns and a gramma, they are my favorite stockings. It won't be the same, though :\

was there anything else I could/should have done? Anyway to test for ...detergent(?) or do I hope it gets dissolved/evaporates/disintegrates/filtered away/diluted out?
Ditch the bleach and use vinegar

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the splashless bleach on my socks all the time and have yet to have an issue. During the pandemic when we were all shut in our homes, splashless was all I could find.

I use a 5G bucket with a 50/50 bleach/water solution to store my used socks in(I have a lot of socks lol). I then wash them in the washing machine with no deteregent or extra bleach. Hang to dry for a couple days, then throw them in use. Haven't had an issue in almost a year of using splashless bleach.

Not sure what I do different, but I have not had an issue with splashless bleach.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly I’m so sorry to hear about your fish. Hard hobby at times. Not sure what your budget is but can you squeeze a roller filter in? They have transformed this hobby. Washing socks outside in subzero temperatures pushed me into buying one and now I wouldn't start a tank without one. They are better for your tank and your precious time.

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry for your loss! ... hard lesson learned :(
I will definitely always keep in mind to never use splashless bleach for anything aquatic!

Anytime I’ve used bleach to recharge Purigen, I’ve felt very iffy about using it... I would always end up doing a double rinse with Prime, always overnight.
For any other “hardcore” cleaning, I would use white vinegar, I felt that was a bit safer.

Filter cups are a good alternative to filter socks and a cheaper option than a fleece roller. Just take out the filter floss, replace and you’re done!

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those FW forums are funny. The only way something can be toxic is by reducing dissolved oxygen levels (which they never actually test).

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach really just whitens the fabric fibers, and deteriorates the socks faster, It does not remove dirt. I never use bleach to clean socks. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks for sharing.

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your loss. I’ve been there. It was fish eggs and iodine, but same thing I grabbed the wrong bottle off the shelf which had a surfactant added. Who stores the fish safe right next to the very not fish safe anyway. Bad memories.
Back to your question. Your skimmer should be going nuts. This is the best way I can think of to get the surfactant out other than more water changes. If you aren’t running a skimmer get one in there.
As for bleach, I wouldn’t recommend bleaching anything unless you’ve a had an outbreak of something horrible and you’re trying to reset. The are several other safer things to use. Vinegar and dry time are great too. When using a chemical it is important to ask why you’re using it and is it necessary. In this case, You have to consider since you aren’t bleaching the entire system, the moment you put that filter sock back in the tank it is “reinfected” with whatever is in your system. The role of a filter sock is to remove large particles not act in any way to disinfect your system. I recognize that if you’re gonna clean something it ought to be really clean. But in the delicate system these are the risk of residual bleach or what happened here isn’t worth it to me.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man sorry for your loss.
I use 34% H2O2 instead. Works just as well as bleach.
It is a strong oxidizer so use gloves and face sheild or safery glasses.
It will turn your skin white if you get it on you.
1/4 cup in your washing machine or a cap full in a 5 gallon bucket does the trick.
I used to just pressure hose off the sock then soak in H2O2 but now use the washer.
I do rinse off in the garage sink prior but thats it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wash my socks in warm water only- no bleach, nothing.
These are considered lessons learned in the hobby
I’ve gone to mesh socks and one minute cleaning by hand

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 140 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.3%
Back