OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CB8A3E95-DE0B-4C23-9071-F7201CC754D6.jpeg

Oscars raised in green water. No filters other than a powerhead to aerate the surface to introduce oxygen at night. Quarter of the tank had plants but the phyto was the main driver. Tank was up for months. Oscars doubled in size. Fish fed 8-10 times daily.

Other than reduced PAR phyto won’t hurt. Just help.
Wow! This makes me feel much better lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer. Since introducing the tang a month ago, i've been in a holding period to monitor the tank and see what changes I need to make as things balance and settle. Making additions to my filtration and sump were next on the list. My ideal sump will include a skimmer in conjunction with the refugium. If you think a skimmer will help, I will add it now rather than wait. Do you have recommendations? my LFS had a reef octopus and a red sea skimmer. I'd have to do some research to see which would be best for my size tank.
Skimmer does 2 things in this situation.

Provides aeration and while providing aeration, it allows proteins to attach to the bubbles in the neck and be pulled into the cup. Dead phyto being something that attaches to the bubbles going into the cup.

In some cases a skimmer is not needed and a fuge with water changes can be enough.

Overall a skimmer is for exporting nutrients and does a great job at it. I run them on almost all of my tanks, but it is because I import heavy in those tanks and need to export heavy due to that.

So with that said, you may not even need one yet if your nutrients are in check. But if you decide to get one, you will hear many opinions on it. I prefer deltec or reef octo int skimmers.

The issue with adding a new skimmer now will be break in of the skimmer. That takes a few days to a week, so no real benefit besides aeration. Do not get me wrong, it will pull things out, but not as effectivly as one that has been running and has a nice biofilm in it.

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8B4A0607-E601-4EDE-9FCE-C55729997CE0.jpeg

Might have some experience with phyto
This is quite the operation you have going here. Do you think adding a bunch of pods could eventually get a handle on my situation? Or do you think I likely need to introduce some additional filtration?

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer does 2 things in this situation.

Provides aeration and while providing aeration, it allows proteins to attach to the bubbles in the neck and be pulled into the cup. Dead phyto being something that attaches to the bubbles going into the cup.

In some cases a skimmer is not needed and a fuge with water changes can be enough.

Overall a skimmer is for exporting nutrients and does a great job at it. I run them on almost all of my tanks, but it is because I import heavy in those tanks and need to export heavy due to that.

So with that said, you may not even need one yet if your nutrients are in check. But if you decide to get one, you will hear many opinions on it. I prefer deltec or reef octo int skimmers.

The issue with adding a new skimmer now will be break in of the skimmer. That takes a few days to a week, so no real benefit besides aeration. Do not get me wrong, it will pull things out, but not as effectivly as one that has been running and has a nice biofilm in it.
If the skimmer can only help, I think I will add one because I do like to overfeed (and never had any issues with it until I overdosed the phyto). In terms of setup I have a couple of questions:

1) Layout - should the skimmer go before the refugium?
2) Wont the skimmer kill my pods?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer can only help, I think I will add one because I do like to overfeed (and never had any issues with it until I overdosed the phyto). In terms of setup I have a couple of questions:

1) Layout - should the skimmer go before the refugium?
2) Wont the skimmer kill my pods?
In my setups, I place skimmer before fuge. I have had skimmers after fuge and pods still make it into the DT from the fuge just fine. The skimmer doesnt "suck super fast" so to speak, so pods can walk around it just fine.

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my setups, I place skimmer before fuge. I have had skimmers after fuge and pods still make it into the DT from the fuge just fine. The skimmer doesnt "suck super fast" so to speak, so pods can walk around it just fine.
Well. I am thinking I will try the following:

1) Lights out 72 hours
2) Introduce more copepods
3) Add a skimmer

Thoughts?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) Lights out 72 hours
3) Add a skimmer

Thoughts?
Sounds like a plan. Just be sure to keep an eye out for nutrient spikes so you can react accordingly. Also, since fish are fine now, take a minute and count respirations on the fish and make a note. Just how many times in 15 seconds is fine. It may be overkill, but then when you check on tank over the next 3 days, you can count respirations on the fish and make sure they have not increased a lot. If they do increase or the fish go to the top and look like they are gulping air, you may need more oxygenation, for example.

Just a thought and may not even need to be done. Would rather you have more info and things to check, but not try to overwhelm you lol.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) Lights out 72 hours
3) Add a skimmer

Thoughts?
I wouldn’t put the lights out if adding pods. Let nature do it’s thing. Plus pods afterwards will remain to clean up detritus and algae.

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate everyone's input. My mind is at ease now that you have all helped me realize that this isn't harmful to the reef. I waited a week to post on here to just let time do it's thing.

Adding a bunch more pods and the skimmer is the route I'll take. Will adjust accordingly as needed. I do have a pod population I added a couple months ago so they are probably reproducing like crazy as we speak lol.

I'll keep everyone updated as this evolves and again, sincerely appreciate everyone's guidance!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there @DocPalmer! Lots of great information from fellow reefers on this thread! I say if you don't mind the sight to add the pods and skimmer and allow them to consume the phytoplankton before adjusting your light schedule. I think you also messaged our support email as well so we will also respond to that with more details and ideas for you. :)

OP
OP
DocPalmer

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there @DocPalmer! Lots of great information from fellow reefers on this thread! I say if you don't mind the sight to add the pods and skimmer and allow them to consume the phytoplankton before adjusting your light schedule. I think you also messaged our support email as well so we will also respond to that with more details and ideas for you. :)
Thanks!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a green machine sterilizer; I'll check it out. Is it essentially the same thing as a UV sterilizer?
It is and I would be cautious about it. From my understanding some have had them leech metals into their tank. Or so they think that is the cause. I does kind of make sense, as I believe the shafts in the pump are metal shafts. So long term use could explain metals being leech. Just do some research before getting one, is all I am saying.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back