Accidentally took apart my Coralife Turbo-Twist 3X UV Sterilizer, and no clue how it is to be assembled.

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I had a problem with dino's that was quickly solved with the Coralife Turbo-Twist 3X UV Sterilizer - 9W on my 65g tank.
Recently I had cleaned out my sump, and had to twist the body from the input/output being aligned, to one having a 90 degree turn. In doing so, I disassembled per instructions, however I went a bit too far and took out the spiral part and the ring around it. I searched literally everywhere, and had found no resources from manufacturer (just manual online which does not include instructions for this). I figured it must not be too important so just kind of through it in and let it be. Fast forward a week or so and I noticed I'm getting swamped with dinos once again. The sterilizer has always ran 24/7, and I still see blue indicator light. I am wondering then, if anyone can unscrew the chamber and send pictures of how to re-assemble it, so I can ensure it is or isn't the sterilizer that is resulting in this algae boom.

Please let me know if anyone knows or can help out!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason you can't find instructions about it is because you aren't supposed to take the spiral out. I'd unplug it and check to make sure that water isn't getting into areas that it's not supposed to get to inside the UV. Look for rust or any other indications.
The UV will not "result" in Dinos. Depending on the type of Dinos you have, the UV may not have any impact on them. Not all Dinos are free floating, so they will never get to the UV.
Also, you have to make sure you are operating at the correct flow rate in order to kill Dinos...again, the correct type of Dinos.
I feel for you. I just finished battling Dinos for about 4 months. I resorted to Dinox. My giant UV did nothing.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew the insides were removable. Maybe because I have old Turbo Twists??? I have two 3x's, and took a close look at the one not being used....it appears to be all-in-one and not removable. Sorry, I can't help.

Coralife Turbo Twist insides.jpg

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason you can't find instructions about it is because you aren't supposed to take the spiral out. I'd unplug it and check to make sure that water isn't getting into areas that it's not supposed to get to inside the UV. Look for rust or any other indications.
The UV will not "result" in Dinos. Depending on the type of Dinos you have, the UV may not have any impact on them. Not all Dinos are free floating, so they will never get to the UV.
Also, you have to make sure you are operating at the correct flow rate in order to kill Dinos...again, the correct type of Dinos.
I feel for you. I just finished battling Dinos for about 4 months. I resorted to Dinox. My giant UV did nothing.
Wait what? So is it garbage now? Kind of a poor design if you're expected to release it to twist it, but pull and it comes off? I only opened it up to get some spirorbid worms off once i noticed. I'll take a look now and see if it's rusted; do you know proper orientation though? Even if its garbage now, might as well try with it switched i guess.

But no of course, it was a while ago in my build, but it ended up being ostreopsis dinos which leaves into water column when blacked out. I have had uv sterilizer since, and hadn't had any problem. I was quite fortunate since yeah, some battle for quite some time. Thankfully just this and nitrate dosing helped. However it is nowhere near as bad as it was then, it looks identical and appears same.

Any recommendations on better uv sterilizers to use?

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew the insides were removable. Maybe because I have old Turbo Twists??? I have two 3x's, and took a close look at the one not being used....it appears to be all-in-one and not removable. Sorry, I can't help.

I'm going to take mine apart now so ill get some pics to compare just in case; thank you for posting!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check you tube

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

huge help!!!

this was it before: so for sure i think i had to have put it in backwards.
1619018520758.jpeg

This is it now:
1619018520143.png

You were right about the rust as well! small amount found here when i opened. I rinsed out and hand dried to try and eliminate. pretty cheesed it doesn't mention in manual regardless, but what can ye do haha.
1619018575815.png

Attachments

• 1619018475166.png
    1619018475166.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 43

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I still don't know how you got that apart. Mine appears to be one piece with no seam....or at least glued or welded so that it doesn't come apart.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
what would you describe this as? like to search for? I did a ton of searching and rephrasing when I first encountered it, but just found a million videos showing how to set it up :/
- turbo twist disassembly
- turbo twist parts diagram

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo twist parts diagram

Having a Turbo Twist with a broken glass sleeve, I can assure you that there is no such thing as "parts" from Coralife, with the exception of a couple rubber O-rings for 20 bucks. I'm actually searching to see if a SunSun glass sleeve will fit my Turbo Twist 3X.....but nothing, nada, zippo from Coralife.

Coralife 3X Turbo Twist.jpg

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I still don't know how you got that apart. Mine appears to be one piece with no seam....or at least glued or welded so that it doesn't come apart.
yeah I think I must have been sold a defective product. I followed instructions to twist it to the side, so I just unscrewed it, and twisted it, and it just effortlessly slid off; I then noticed the snails and cleaned it, but then couldnt remember, or find any resources for it. Next time I'll be sure not to buy something over $100 from such a poorly reviewed company, rip. I have it re assembled now so going to give it a go, but the rust alone...rip

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I think I must have been sold a defective product. I followed instructions to twist it to the side, so I just unscrewed it, and twisted it, and it just effortlessly slid off; I then noticed the snails and cleaned it, but then couldnt remember, or find any resources for it. Next time I'll be sure not to buy something over $100 from such a poorly reviewed company, rip. I have it re assembled now so going to give it a go, but the rust alone...rip
Does yours have reflective paper inside the sleeve?

If so, it does come out. The old style did not come out. I've taken mine apart twice.

These new ones with the reflective paper in them are terribly designed. They all rust off the inside of the paper. I've talked to Coralife about this and it's a known issue. They still don't plan to fix it. Marketing is too good being able to say the light hits from both sides and enhanced contact time. In reality, it rusts out fast and you can't see it to know about it.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does yours have reflective paper inside the sleeve?

If so, it does come out. The old style did not come out. I've taken mine apart twice.

These new ones with the reflective paper in them are terribly designed. They all rust off the inside of the paper. I've talked to Coralife about this and it's a known issue. They still don't plan to fix it. Marketing is too good being able to say the light hits from both sides and enhanced contact time. In reality, it rusts out fast and you can't see it to know about it.
does their warranty cover this? I just kind of gave up and kept using it, waiting for the motivation to replace it due to the rust.

If not, any recommendations for UV for a 65G?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back