Acclimating from low PAR to high PAR on Kessil LED lights

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally rented a PAR meter and found out my PAR is WAY too low. Most intensely lit spot was around 80 PAR at my current intensity and at 100% intensity it was around 350. Some of my corals got used to the low light and I'm afraid of increasing it too fast. I've heard of people frying their corals with LED's but I'm also afraid of starving the monti cap frag I just got of light.

I'm thinking increasing the light by 10% every week or increasing 5% every couple of days or so.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing faster, corals will be fine all at 100% and just switched out tanks from a 90gvto a 180g.
20210724_185538.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with kessils but a good safe rule of thumb in general is 1% per day. Just make that your rule and don’t break it. A couple months is nothing when you can kill stuff in one day if you jump too fast. Can you go faster? Maybe. But who ever did damage by increasing par slowly? Who did damage by going fast? When going lower, I go fast. Sometimes immediate. But when increasing, 1% per day is always my rule.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% ever 2 weeks is how I did it. Easier to see the effects on the coral

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with kessils but a good safe rule of thumb in general is 1% per day. Just make that your rule and don’t break it. A couple months is nothing when you can kill stuff in one day if you jump too fast. Can you go faster? Maybe. But who ever did damage by increasing par slowly? Who did damage by going fast? When going lower, I go fast. Sometimes immediate. But when increasing, 1% per day is always my rule.
will the monti cap die if i acclimate too slow?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not play the par game. And I would just see how your corals are growing. Its too easy to stop growth with intensity set to high with strong lights. Im running 1% B and W channels and growth on LPS is crazy. at 60% it was to bright and I had no growth at all.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back