Acclimitation from hyposalinity

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I want to acclimate fish from a SG of 1.018 to 1.025. I keep reading that this takes more time than standard salinity adjustments but I can't find any specific instructions. Sorry if this is already covered somewhere...

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rule of thumb 1 week from hypo to DT. Hypo 1.009 to DT 1.026 = .017 increase / 7 = .002 per day. So you should be ready in 3 days.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered about this........when you order fish online, a lot are kept at a similar, lower salinity (as low as 1.018)......yet they tell you to drip acclimate for a few hours. When you are bringing fish back from hypo salinity, they tell you to follow a much longer time-frame.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered about this........when you order fish online, a lot are kept at a similar, lower salinity (as low as 1.018)......yet they tell you to drip acclimate for a few hours. When you are bringing fish back from hypo salinity, they tell you to follow a much longer time-frame.
Same goes for LFS, this save them money. Since I QT all my fish while floating them I sample the salinity in their bag and adjust my QT to match. If you ( I do not recommend) are putting them directly into your DT (were you have healthy fish and the value to replace them all out ways the cost of this one fish) I would drip them for much longer time add aeration and a heater.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same goes for LFS, this save them money. Since I QT all my fish while floating them I sample the salinity in their bag and adjust my QT to match. If you ( I do not recommend) are putting them directly into your DT (were you have healthy fish and the value to replace them all out ways the cost of this one fish) I would drip them for much longer time add aeration and a heater.
I understand, but I don't think most people match their QT tanks to the salinity of their new fishes water......or maybe they do? Everybody I have talked to always matched their QT salinity to their DT.....unless they were running hyposalinity. Basically same questions I have with acclimating coral.......you aren't supposed to have ALK swings at all in your tank.....but does anybody check the ALK of their new coral's water before placing into their QT or DT to see if it matches?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back