Status
Not open for further replies.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, Increased photo intensity probably triggers a built in reaction to prepare the coral for the heat it knows will follow. As stated above the coral is probably confused by our tanks because the heat never comes.
Gotta keep those little dudes on their toes lol

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was never about the article. Just a thinly veiled attack on the main stream media and science. It’s a two for one.

I'm a scientist and healthcare professional, I'd never attack science. Period.

The media however has become an antiquated joke of what it once was and now relies on scary opinions to get clicks and sell stories.

Yet we all have access to the scientific publications, and as a community (on this forum) access to actual scientists working with coral....

Never on this forum or anywhere else have I seen an explanation of why corals color up as being "a last ditch effort for survival". It's an adaptive response to specific environmental stressors, yes, but not the stressors that are killing them. In science this would be considered a confounding variable. It's not new news, it's just a way to scare people.

Now I thought it was funny, but in the end articles like this do annoy me because they hurt the people who actually care. People like you and I who have a genuine love for and vested interest in corals take the fall because it provokes moral outrage, and then the laws that will follow. Laws that make no sense because they're made by politicians who know nothing nor care in the slightest about environmental conservation.

Last edited:

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was never about the article. Just a thinly veiled attack on the main stream media and science. It’s a two for one.
If it's not on FOX, it can't be true... LOL

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a scientist and healthcare professional, I'd never attack science. Period.

The media however has become an antiquated joke of what it once was and now relies on scary opinions to get clicks and sell stories.

Yet we all have access to the scientific publications, and as a community (on this forum) access to actual scientists working with coral....

Never on this forum or anywhere else have I seen an explanation of why corals color up as being "a last ditch effort for survival". It's an adaptive response to specific environmental stressors, yes, but not the stressors that are killing them. In science this would be considered a confounding variable. It's not new news, it's just a way to scare people.

Now I thought it was funny, but in the end articles like this do annoy me because they hurt the people who actually care. People like you and I who have a genuine love for and vested interest in corals take the fall because it provokes moral outrage, and then the laws that will follow. Laws that make no sense because they're made by politicians who know nothing nor care in the slightest about environmental conservation.

Headlines can be click bait, sure, but the media has never been more reliable because it’s never been easier for people to corroborate or disprove The stories themselves. Newspapers 100 years ago were frequently posting bogus stories, and readers just had to believe them. Now we can do the research ourselves on the internet and hop right onto twitter or Facebook and call them out in front of everyone.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chasing corals is a great documentary! Would highly recommend watching it! It explains a lot.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warmer water=less dissolved carbon dioxide=less phyto=less zooplankton= more clarity= more UV penetration = more death rays= more sunscreen
Phyto would grow more with additional CO2. Additional solar radiation makes sense. But I thought the problem was man made?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never on this forum or anywhere else have I seen an explanation of why corals color up as being "a last ditch effort for survival". It's an adaptive response to specific environmental stressors, yes, but not the stressors that are killing them. In science this would be considered a confounding variable.
How is it a confounding variable?
The corals simple genetic intelligence tells it that an increase in light will be followed by increased heat. There is nothing new about these mechanisms, most simple and even some advanced life forms depend on this genetically passed down knowledge for survival.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto would grow more with additional CO2. Additional solar radiation makes sense. But I thought the problem was man made?
YEs

that’s why I said LESS CO2=less phyto

warming planet, warming ocean, less dissolved gasses

besides- I totally made that up on the spot since he said he couldn’t see any way it could happen

but that chain I wrote is *technically* feasible- but not very likely

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEs

that’s why I said LESS CO2=less phyto

warming planet, warming ocean, less dissolved gasses

besides- I totally made that up on the spot since he said he couldn’t see any way it could happen

but that chain I wrote is *technically* feasible- but not very likely
The ocean would absorb more CO2 , that's the whole ”acidification” schtick.

Regardless I didn't mean to pick on you, but I love to poke the AGW bear.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean would absorb more CO2 , that's the whole ”acidification” schtick.

Regardless I didn't mean to pick on you, but I love to poke the AGW bear.

2 different issues- I was responding purely to the your question “how does warmer water lead to more sunscreen?”

In isolation, warmer water means less dissolved gas

but yes, in reality, since humans are pumping a ton of co2 into the atmosphere and the partial pressure of co2 in the atmosphere is higher, it forces more gas dissolution, despite increased temp

what’s an ‘agw’?

mans acidification isn’t a ‘Schtick ’. It’s a proven scientific fact

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a person that lived in the Caribbean for 30+ years snorkeling and diving thousands of times in coral reefs, the real reefs doesn't look nothing like the reef tanks, acroporas, Brain, gorgonias 99% of them, they all look greenish brownish, in my opinion is that in our thanks we are tweaking the light spectrum to promote the production of coloration pigments, plus the same spectrum we use highlight those colors. It's fun when you enter a reef LFS light is always dim and your clothes glow due to the use of excess near UV spectrum, that's not the way you look when you are outside. So if you tune your lights to real sunlight spectrum your corals will look greenish brownish like any other healthy coral in the ocean. When the corals start the neon bleaching is under sunlight you can see the coloration so I consider is totally different case in the reef tanks, not stress related.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 different issues- I was responding purely to the your question “how does warmer water lead to more sunscreen?”

In isolation, warmer water means less dissolved gas

but yes, in reality, since humans are pumping a ton of co2 into the atmosphere and the partial pressure of co2 in the atmosphere is higher, it forces more gas dissolution, despite increased temp

what’s an ‘agw’?

mans acidification isn’t a ‘Schtick ’. It’s a proven scientific fact
Anthropogenic global warming. The ocean may become less alkaline, but it's not going acidic any time soon. Most, like 99.7 percent of CO2 is natural. CO2 isn't a polutant,nor a problem. It's affect on warming is limited. Pollution is for sure an issue. China, India, most developing countries pollute with impunity. That is a much larger problem than CO2.

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warmer water=less dissolved carbon dioxide=less phyto=less zooplankton= more clarity= more UV penetration = more death rays= more sunscreen
This was very well put. Is there an article you got this from? I am writing a research paper and would love to have the link to this information.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get all my medical advise from web md
Don’t get me started there. I wanted to double check what I had on my leg was poison ivy And according to them I am dying of cancer and have a few weeks left. Guess I’ll go buy some coral then since I do t have much time left:rolleyes:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't unhappy they just adjust to their environment. A coral producing more uv blocking pigments (coloring up) is no different than our skin producing more melanin to protect us from the sun, but you know CBS is CBS. I guess when we tan it's a last ditch effort to avoid death by vacation.
DON'T TAN!!! DON'T DO IT! !!! HAHA

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was very well put. Is there an article you got this from? I am writing a research paper and would love to have the link to this information.
Lol, no- it was a 20 second thought exercise to show that there is a ‘possible’ link between all those factors

I’m a research scientist and thisQT has got me doing mind exercises lest my brain turns to mush

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthropogenic global warming. The ocean may become less alkaline, but it's not going acidic any time soon. Most, like 99.7 percent of CO2 is natural. CO2 isn't a polutant,nor a problem. It's affect on warming is limited. Pollution is for sure an issue. China, India, most developing countries pollute with impunity. That is a much larger problem than CO2.
Nope nope nope.... not touching that with a 15 foot barge pole with a carbon canister on the end

it’s wrong, but this isn’t the place to address it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back