According to CBS all the nicest tanks are on the brink of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What- a statement of documented actual real life fact that you can’t ignore?

funny how that works
He said that the political attacks were the hoax,not the virus.
I'm expecting this will only get this locked,so I'm done

His name is David L. Katz ,the doc who thinks that heard immunity is the way to go.

Anyway....

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible the corals in the gbr are losing their normal Zooxanthellae leaving there more uv resistant species behind giving the appearance of coloring up?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals expelling Zooxanthellae due to increased temperature is nothing new, inhibiting photosynthesis (for the most part) leads to expulsion by the coral. Corals looking good in our reef systems is not what those pictures are showing. Some of those reefs with colonies of those colors and bleaching got incredibly hot, and most of those neon colored colonies underwent polyp bailout/Rapid tissue necrosis shortly after. It's theorized as a last ditch effort to shield some effects of high heat before death.

Is it possible the corals in the gbr are losing their normal Zooxanthellae leaving there more uv resistant species behind giving the appearance of coloring up?

Zooxanthellae are brown/green, not brightly colored. Pigments are often used to delfect or absorb light.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this started off as a good thread.............

With the stance the staff has taken on covid posts, and threads, I'm surprised quite a few posts haven't been deleted.
But it wasn’t though. This thread was started with a clickbait title and OP throwing out their agenda against the media.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals expelling Zooxanthellae due to increased temperature is nothing new, inhibiting photosynthesis (for the most part) leads to expulsion by the coral. Corals looking good in our reef systems is not what those pictures are showing. Some of those reefs with colonies of those colors and bleaching got incredibly hot, and most of those neon colored colonies underwent polyp bailout/Rapid tissue necrosis shortly after. It's theorized as a last ditch effort to shield some effects of high heat before death.

Zooxanthellae are brown/green, not brightly colored. Pigments are often used to delfect or absorb light.
So in our tanks the more a coral colors up the more its trying to deflect light (shield itself) and these pigments compete for space with Zooxanthellae in the coral tissie in a way making the coral less efficient at photosynthesis?

U

User1

View Badges
I guess 100000 dead Americans isn’t enough to convince some people.

This isn't related to the article or corals. The number regardless of what geographic location is reference will be wrong for many a reason. Open society or closed. Patient zero is still in question as how to accurately say what is related to and not or otherwise falsely related. I won't even go in the possible intent or not of release to test the worlds response.

A lot to think about but at the end of the day there is a lot of data this pandemic generated some of which will be good regardless of what camp you fall in. Mother Nature will react and everyone should take note of the change when people are removed from the equation.

That is scary.

Edit: forgot to add not sure home aquaria and natural reefs are equal. How many corals are collected from natural reefs vs. those propagated and how many generations removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back