Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my philosophy, if it looks good, is growing, and has great PE, THEN IT IS HAPPY!!!

I thought the world was supposed to collapse in 2000, or didn't Nostradamus predict the world to end several times.

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is nothing new and it isn’t according to CBS, it’s according to science and had been posted/reported in numerous places.
No its nothing new to us that corals produce a sunscreen-like pigment. However it's according to CBS that this is their last ditch effort to survive. Our tanks thrive with vibrant color, and are no more susceptible to dying than a dull looking tank.

In fact I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would be willing to argue that their vibrant corals are more resilient than the brown ones they have before they color up.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my philosophy, if it looks good, is growing, and has great PE, THEN IT IS HAPPY!!!

I thought the world was supposed to collapse in 2000, or didn't Nostradamus predict the world to end several times.
They aren't unhappy they just adjust to their environment. A coral producing more uv blocking pigments (coloring up) is no different than our skin producing more melanin to protect us from the sun, but you know CBS is CBS. I guess when we tan it's a last ditch effort to avoid death by vacation.

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't unhappy they just adjust to their environment. A coral producing more uv blocking pigments (coloring up) is no different than our skin producing more melanin to protect us from the sun, but you know CBS is CBS. I guess when we tan it's a last ditch effort to avoid death by vacation.
Exactly what my point was. Well said lol

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2012 it was the mayans. If the Mayan’s were so good at telling the future how come they didn’t know the Aztec’s were coming

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point of me saying what I said is, why can't we just enjoy our reef tanks, nothing more. Life is already stressful enough with work and such as it is. Lets just enjoy our hobby.:)

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like Rick Moranis in Space Balls way too often these days.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Again it not CBS... ppl good lord open your eyes and minds...

Need more?

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Need more?
It was never about the article. Just a thinly veiled attack on the main stream media and science. It’s a two for one.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Need more?
Eyes and mind is open,lets talk about

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing Coral basically said the same thing a few years back. Just before the reefs have been dying in Australia, they turn neon colors.
Exactly! Chasing corals photographically time lapsed the reefs as the water warmed and the last change before bleaching was a brightening neon look to the corals colors.

It is obvious that this is not exactly the same thing happening with neon looking corals in our tanks, it's more likely that the coral is probably responding to one of the two threat conditions which is increased light but it is not getting hit by the second condition which is increased heat. It is still something that should be researched further as it may not be good for them over the long term. Just because a coral thrives for years in these conditions does not mean that it will live as long as it would under a more normal lighting condition.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher solar intensity warming the water
Exactly, Increased photo intensity probably triggers a built in reaction to prepare the coral for the heat it knows will follow. As stated above the coral is probably confused by our tanks because the heat never comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back