Achilles concerns

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looking for some reassurance or guidance. Ive had an Achilles in Qt for about 2-3 weeks. He's been eating since day 2. Already threaded for flukes and going on 10th day of copper. He eats every time feed, 2 times a day but looks thin in the stomach area. Not thin in the body. very healthy looking. Should I be concerned about the stomach or is this normal for a juvenile Achilles?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What r u feeding, an Achilles tang is a active fish and therefore may need more food.

@4FordFamily

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the option to feed more when I'm off. Just trying not to over do it in the qt. Right now it's been morning and evening. I feed LRS with spriulina brine. Also nori daily

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the option to feed more when I'm off. Just trying not to over do it in the qt. Right now it's been morning and evening. I feed LRS with spriulina brine. Also nori daily
Also, have you treated for internal parasites yet, that could also cause them to look thin no matter how much u feed them.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use GC and soak food in it, but wait till after the copper as GC contains prazi and they say not to mix the two together. That's if it has internal parasites which, as of late, most fish do from what I have been hearing from reliable sources on R2R.

@HotRocks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you help. I don't have any GC. I do have metroplex and kanaplex. I know that can be mixed with food with focus. I'll have to find the dosage

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you help. I don't have any GC. I do have metroplex and kanaplex. I know that can be mixed with food with focus. I'll have to find the dosage

The dosage for Metroplex mixed in food is one measure that comes with the metro + 1 measure focus to one tablespoon of prepared food.

Do you have any pics of the fish? I'd like to see if possible.

Are you leaving enough nori on a clip for the fish to graze upon throughout 3/4 of the day? They have a super high metabolism and are highly active fish. This is the reason they need to eat often.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In QT I always just keep upping the amount of Nori a little every day until I get home from work and there is some left on the clip. Then back it down a little from there.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In QT I always just keep upping the amount of Nori a little every day until I get home from work and there is some left on the clip. Then back it down a little from there.
Good to know info.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow don't ever ask an Achilles to do a photo shoot. These pics are worthless to see the stomach. But it's a beautiful clean fish :):)

IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG
IMG_2371.JPG
IMG_2382.JPG
IMG_2486.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2573.JPG

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish does not look emaciated to me.

Also if there is ever any nori left at end of day remove it. It will foul the water.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. One of my dream tangs. The other is a powder brown. I just love the contrast on these guys. Oh, and he looks healthy and well fed to me.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish does not look emaciated to me.

Also if there is ever any nori left at end of day remove it. It will foul the water.
My tang will rip all of it off at the clip, let it float around the tank, and pick at it as it floats by. I don't have a choice but to foul the water lol!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang will rip all of it off at the clip, let it float around the tank, and pick at it as it floats by. I don't have a choice but to foul the water lol!

You can try folding it up tighter. I fold 8x8" sheets up into small 3"x1" nuggets. I have 8 tangs. They won't usually manage to get much more than what they can eat off the clip.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. One of my dream tangs. The other is a powder brown. I just love the contrast on these guys. Oh, and he looks healthy and well fed to me.

They are awesome fish. I don't know if you have other tangs or not. If you do end up adding Achilles and powder brown you will likely need additional tangs for distraction. I do keep an Achilles, powder brown and powder blue together. I have a massive desjardini (tank boss) along with PT, YT, kole, yellow belly blue hippo.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back