Achilles/powder blue/brown tang swimming area

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a peninsula(kind of) which has a dimension of 60“x30” The idea is having a rock island in the middle and a circle around it. I wonder if a pbt or an achilles can be kept long term here. The tank is 1,5years old

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dreaming for an Achilles or sohal but I don’t have a 300 gal fowlr for a sohal

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still look at a smaller variety of tang myself.
+1 to this, achilles need a lot of hiding spots as well as swim room. IMHO, 5’ length still isn’t big enough.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre not going to get the answer you want here. Could you do it, yeah probably. Should you do it, no.

If you do it anyway make sure you have a big power head pointed down the length of the tank so he can use it as a treadmill for exersize.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the powder brown would be okay. I wouldn't do the Achilles. Sohal needs sooo much room. They get huge and are bullies in 1000 gallon systems.

I kept a powder brown for a while in my 6' 125. It wasn't big enough, as you could see the 'pacing' behavior. But my tank is narrow and has a rock wall in the back.

Instead of an island in the middle, see if you can set up 2 islands with a figure 8 type setup.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dreaming for an Achilles or sohal but I don’t have a 300 gal fowlr for a sohal
You need to put the needs of the animal ahead of your wants. A five foot tank just isn’t big enough for tangs that get to be 10+”. I would think that tangs that max out at 7-8” would be okay, but any larger and it’s going to have health consequences for the tang and will ruin the sense of scale of the tank (having a large fish that only has a few body lengths to swim just pulls all the focus and makes the tank look small).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles are super problematic, not just in swimming space needs. I avoid them at all times. Both species need to be fully quarantined for ich since they are so susceptible to it.

Here is an article I wrote on swimming needs of fish. It tries to make the question more objective. Still, it isn't set in stone, there are still some subjective measures in the process:

Jay

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not
Youre not going to get the answer you want here. Could you do it, yeah probably. Should you do it, no.

If you do it anyway make sure you have a big power head pointed down the length of the tank so he can use it as a treadmill for exersize.

You need to put the needs of the animal ahead of your wants. A five foot tank just isn’t big enough for tangs that get to be 10+”. I would think that tangs that max out at 7-8” would be okay, but any larger and it’s going to have health consequences for the tang and will ruin the sense of scale of the tank (having a large fish that only has a few body lengths to swim just pulls all the focus and makes the tank look small).
Not gonna add an achilles here. Maybe a powder brown and try for a gem tang or a adult mimic tang

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, i‘ve decided to cross Achilles out of the list. May a powder brown work ?
It might but personally I’d try aim for 6’ of tank length for them. The Gold Rim would probably be best and is still in the complex of the “Powder Tangs”.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen gold rim here for a while unfortunately but I will try to find one
Personally I find them to look nicer than both the PBTs. So if you could find one I reckon it would be a stunning fish to have.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back