Achilles spots with strings?

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Seeking your advice on an Achilles Tang I’ve had for many years. I’m doing a tank transfer and am QT’ing all the fish in an effort to not bring any parasites to the new tank.

This group of fish in the QT I’ve had for many years and haven’t been exposed to anyone new in some time. They’re in a treatment of CP in a 29g tank with a dose of 1.5g. This is day 15 which I would normally not see any sign of any ick or similar at this point. I was analyzing my Achilles and noticed what looked like ick, but up closed they appear to have strings attached to them? Is this some sort of worm or is this normal of ick? Pics and short video for your reference

I’m prepping a Fw bath to try and see if they are worms are not.

33948035-E563-4E0E-99AF-0EA91A57C7BA.jpeg
22CE0800-38CD-4EC2-86A2-4495251610C6.jpeg
D2901CB0-C73B-4AD4-B84C-898E26EEA81E.jpeg
A15EA001-B807-45F1-9062-1034CF6F0AE4.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are both eyes messed up like the left one?
A FW diagnostic dip would be a good idea, but flukes typically don’t show so prominently on a fish. Personally, I think the spots are late stage Cryptocaryon/ich, but to confirm you’d need to do a skin scrape and look at it under a microscope.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Crypto or even velvet
The eyes are concerning as it indicates an accelerated parasitical issue that needs to be addressed ASAP and associated with crypto.
You may begin with a freshwater dip followed by treatment in a quarantine tank using copper or formalin. In some cases both

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crypto or even velvet
The eyes are concerning as it indicates an accelerated parasitical issue that needs to be addressed ASAP and associated with crypto.
You may begin with a freshwater dip followed by treatment in a quarantine tank using copper or formalin. In some cases both
I should have addressed the eye. That just happened a few days ago during a formalin bath. I think he scraped it. Was totally healthy before hand.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A FW diagnostic dip would be a good idea, but flukes typically don’t show so prominently on a fish. Personally, I think the spots are late stage Cryptocaryon/ich, but to confirm you’d need to do a skin scrape and look at it under a microscope.
Jay
I should have addressed the eye. That just happened a few days ago during a formalin bath. I think he scraped it. Was totally healthy before hand.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Crypto or even velvet
I would also rule out velvet as I’ve had these fish for years, ich i did have, but not velvet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would also rule out velvet as I’ve had these fish for years, ich i did have, but not velvet.
I did lean towards crypto especially with the eyes the way they look

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the FW bath, no noticeable stuff on him now, but that’s not surprising. Nothing in the bath that looks odd. He’s in QT already, so he’ll stay. He’s with a Hippo Tang, Regal Angel, Clown Fairy Wrasse, and Mandarin, all of which show no signs of issues.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back