OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its eating brine, try to ween it off live and go with spirulina brine. If it eats that, next try mysis shrimp
Mine is an eating machine

1612915881967.png
What a beauty, do you have any recommendations on how to ween it off of live? Offer it frozen daily? I bought mine a little over a week ago but I’ve been feeding it strictly live brine and seaweed, tried frozen for the first day and it only ate a few pieces of it, would often spit it back out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What a beauty, do you have any recommendations on how to ween it off of live? Offer it frozen daily? I bought mine a little over a week ago but I’ve been feeding it strictly live brine and seaweed, tried frozen for the first day and it only ate a few pieces of it, would often spit it back out.
I added garlic which is an enticer to eat to spirulina brine shrimp. My was finicky also for at least 2 weeks and after brine, I fed LRS Herbivore diet and it went nuts. Its off to a good start and will come around.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added garlic which is an enticer to eat to spirulina brine shrimp. My was finicky also for at least 2 weeks and after brine, I fed LRS Herbivore diet and it went nuts. Its off to a good start and will come around
I added garlic which is an enticer to eat to spirulina brine shrimp. My was finicky also for at least 2 weeks and after brine, I fed LRS Herbivore diet and it went nuts. Its off to a good start and will come around.
Will definitely give that another try, I have LRS herbivore so I can try that out. Hopefully he comes around soon, I always get nervous qting fish that I really like, I panic at the slightest sight of anything negative.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic has been studied for its effectiveness against a bacterial infection of fish (Colorni et al, 1998). One hundred and sixty sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) were intentionally infected with Mycobacterium marinum via injection with cultured cells. The study's participants also kept a positive control group of another 40 specimens, which they held in conditions similar to, but separate from, the infected fish, but injected them only with saline. All of these fish were then held and monitored to watch the disease's progression. After nine weeks, the infected fish showed clinical signs of infection upon dissection and examination. At this point, the infected fish were broken up into four smaller groups of 40 each: a negative control group which received no treatment, an experimental group that received antibiotic (streptomycin) injections, a second experimental group that received garlic extract injections, and a third experimental group that received injections of both the antibiotic and garlic extract. All fish were treated for an additional 12 weeks. During this time, sample fish were selected and dissected to monitor the disease's progression or recession.

The interesting revelation that came from this study is that it revealed a statistically significant stronger immune response in the fish given only garlic versus the fish given antibiotics, antibiotics and garlic, or the untreated control group. Part of this apparent anomaly is that antibiotics also have an immunosuppressive effect. In layman's terms, while they work to kill bacteria, they also don't permit the body to fight as hard as normal against the infection. But, the fact that the fish treated with garlic showed a stronger immune response than the untreated control group lead the study authors to suggest that "allicin treatment seems to have an enhancing effect on antibody activity when compared with all other groups."
Thank you for the detailed write up. I never researched garlic because it seemed to be split if it offed benefits. I am a believer health is in the food whether it’s other animals, humans but seems to really have a benefit with our fish

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic has been studied for its effectiveness against a bacterial infection of fish (Colorni et al, 1998). One hundred and sixty sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) were intentionally infected with Mycobacterium marinum via injection with cultured cells. The study's participants also kept a positive control group of another 40 specimens, which they held in conditions similar to, but separate from, the infected fish, but injected them only with saline. All of these fish were then held and monitored to watch the disease's progression. After nine weeks, the infected fish showed clinical signs of infection upon dissection and examination. At this point, the infected fish were broken up into four smaller groups of 40 each: a negative control group which received no treatment, an experimental group that received antibiotic (streptomycin) injections, a second experimental group that received garlic extract injections, and a third experimental group that received injections of both the antibiotic and garlic extract. All fish were treated for an additional 12 weeks. During this time, sample fish were selected and dissected to monitor the disease's progression or recession.

The interesting revelation that came from this study is that it revealed a statistically significant stronger immune response in the fish given only garlic versus the fish given antibiotics, antibiotics and garlic, or the untreated control group. Part of this apparent anomaly is that antibiotics also have an immunosuppressive effect. In layman's terms, while they work to kill bacteria, they also don't permit the body to fight as hard as normal against the infection. But, the fact that the fish treated with garlic showed a stronger immune response than the untreated control group lead the study authors to suggest that "allicin treatment seems to have an enhancing effect on antibody activity when compared with all other groups."
Wow, very interesting

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your saying they don't get that from fresh seafood??
Not enough. If you look at LRS which is pure seafood and kelp, you will notice pacjkage has added vitamins as well as san fransisco bay and hikari brands
Seafood is a great and pure diet but Feeding your fish an improper diet is as common a mistake as overfeeding. Providing the correct diet and vitamins is essential for fish growth and health. Dietary deficiencies will not only shorten the lifespan of fish and cause many diseases, but will also contribute to a deteriorating water quality by polluting the water.
Fish foods must have certain percentages of protein, fat, carbohydrate, fiber, vitamins and minerals in the food. A good quality food contains a high percentage of digestible protein, plus essential amino acids and fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. My concern with strict seafood diet is that fish diets should be low in fat. Even meat-eating fish require a limit of no more than 8-10 percent fat in their diet. Herbivores need no more than 3-5 percent fat. Excessive fat will damage the liver and can result in disease and early death.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish will stop eating in copper for a few days.Have you tried regular nori? I cut my nori in little strips about 1/8 in wide x 4 in long.it kinda wiggles around, with water flow.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough. If you look at LRS which is pure seafood and kelp, you will notice pacjkage has added vitamins as well as san fransisco bay and hikari brands
Seafood is a great and pure diet but Feeding your fish an improper diet is as common a mistake as overfeeding. Providing the correct diet and vitamins is essential for fish growth and health. Dietary deficiencies will not only shorten the lifespan of fish and cause many diseases, but will also contribute to a deteriorating water quality by polluting the water.
Fish foods must have certain percentages of protein, fat, carbohydrate, fiber, vitamins and minerals in the food. A good quality food contains a high percentage of digestible protein, plus essential amino acids and fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. My concern with strict seafood diet is that fish diets should be low in fat. Even meat-eating fish require a limit of no more than 8-10 percent fat in their diet. Herbivores need no more than 3-5 percent fat. Excessive fat will damage the liver and can result in disease and early death.
Wow, I never knew that. Should I run down to the ocean and dump a bunch of selcon in for those poor malnourished fish that are only eating algae and seafood?

I donno man, I have always fed fresh seafood with garlic, selcon, and zoa added in but @Paul B told me that the seafood was all that was needed, just like in nature. So I went with that.

Ps: sorry for my sarcasm. I can't help it. I'll try to find some professional help for my people skills

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh ..... been keeping and feeding my fish for decades without any garlic or vitamin supplements (other than that added to some frozen blends). Feed your fish a varied diet and they’ll be fine.

As to the Achilles, they are notoriously slow to acclimate to aquarium fare. Mine only ate spiralina brine for almost six months before finally relenting and eating LRS. Blasting it with meds certainly doesn’t help. Unless it’s actually showing symptoms of ich, far better to get it eating first. Make sure there really is a ton of flow, and put the food into the power head so it moves around.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I never knew that. Should I run down to the ocean and dump a bunch of selcon in for those poor malnourished fish that are only eating algae and seafood?

I donno man, I have always fed fresh seafood with garlic, selcon, and zoa added in but @Paul B told me that the seafood was all that was needed, just like in nature. So I went with that.

Ps: sorry for my sarcasm. I can't help it. I'll try to find some professional help for my people skills
food nutrition degrade overtime when frozen. Not sure how much It degrades or if it matters.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
food nutrition degrade overtime when frozen. Not sure how much It degrades or if it matters.
I never said frozen. Especially that fish store junk :rolleyes:. I like to feed fresh (I mix it up and freeze it myself). But I do grab something frozen (for human consumption) here and there

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines had no problem eating pretty much everything. But I also don't qurantine with copper. I only do TTM and sometimes with prazipro depending on the fish.

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I picked up a 3 inch Achilles tang which is currently being quarantined. Some details: he is in a 20 gal qt tank, I have a big pvc pipe he hides in, there’s a powerhead creating flow in the tank, current copper level is 2.25 (copper power), he’s been through a round of prazi. I need some help getting him to eat voraciously, I’ve tried frozen and he doesn’t really care for it, maybe eats one or 2 pieces, he loves live brine shrimp but again doesn’t chase after them or eating voraciously, he likes live black worms as well but again not a voracious eater, he seems to only like foods that move around. He will also eat purple nori from rods. Does anyone have any tips for getting him to eat voraciously? He doesn’t have that same monster appetite my other fish do but he eats which I know is a good sign. Any tips? Or can anyone explain why he might not be eating voraciously?
you’ve tried straight up mixed frozen food like LRS reef frenzy? There’s usually something for everyone in that stuff.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’ve tried straight up mixed frozen food like LRS reef frenzy? There’s usually something for everyone in that stuff.
Hey I appreciate the reply, what I ended up doing is feeding live brine and he would eat it, I tried pellets one day and he ended up eating it. Got him through qt on live brine and pellets, put him in my dt after 30 days of copper and now he accepts all foods because he sees all the other fish eating it so it was probably the stress of a small tank that wasn't allowing him to have the same appetite he does now.

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I appreciate the reply, what I ended up doing is feeding live brine and he would eat it, I tried pellets one day and he ended up eating it. Got him through qt on live brine and pellets, put him in my dt after 30 days of copper and now he accepts all foods because he sees all the other fish eating it so it was probably the stress of a small tank that wasn't allowing him to have the same appetite he does now.
You’re probably right. Jumping from tank to tank is definitely mega stress inducing. Good to see that your buddy is eating now. I’m sure he’s already one of your favorite fish. They look awesome and have great personalities. Mine was my favorite fish for a long time. Now a days I have a Vlamignii that’s the one with the big personality lol

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re probably right. Jumping from tank to tank is definitely mega stress inducing. Good to see that your buddy is eating now. I’m sure he’s already one of your favorite fish. They look awesome and have great personalities. Mine was my favorite fish for a long time. Now a days I have a Vlamignii that’s the one with the big personality lol
I'm actually looking for a smaller vlamingi right now, I want a 4ish inch vlamingi and Naso. A bigger tank is coming within the next 2 years, hopefully an 10foot long x 30inch wide so I can house the bigger fish without worries. My Achilles is a favorite for sure, he is much calmer in my 180, doesn't swim erratically and isn't aggressive towards the other tangs, if anything my Yellow tang and Tomini are much more aggressive than he is, I haven't added any new fish since he went in so well see how he reacts to new additions (not tangs)!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back