Achilles tang nostrils.

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles tang in QT has been through copper/Nitrofurazone for 15 days and a week of prazi. After these treatments were over the nostrils have become inflamed/white. Any ideas? Fish still eats and otherwise seems healthy but this is concerning.

D9A92BAC-ECB6-4CAF-8F98-2763B3B9B57E.jpeg 65FAAF9F-7175-46AC-BA0B-EB2E2F0FB9F3.jpeg

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little odd, are they enlarged/distended, or just depigmented?

I think it must be an inflammatory response to either the medications or perhaps there were some parasites in the nostrils which have now been eliminated but left some inflamed tissue from being dislodged.

Was Praziquantel the last treatment? Possible that there were some flukes in there.

It could also be environmental irritants but I trust all parameters are ok? I would water change often and keep in quarantine until the inflammation heals. And, of course, monitor closely for any other symptoms.

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it must be an inflammatory response to either the medications or perhaps there were some parasites in the nostrils which have now been eliminated but left some inflamed tissue from being dislodged.

Was Praziquantel the last treatment? Possible that there were some flukes in there.

It could also be environmental irritants but I trust all parameters are ok? I would water change often and keep in quarantine until the inflammation heals. And, of course, monitor closely for any other symptoms.

They are enlarged I believe as well. Prazi was last but that ended about a week ago. I’ll be honest I haven’t checked parameters but have been doing regular water changes and dosing MB7 bacteria. I do have an ammonia alert monitor that hasn’t budged so I’m assuming ammonia and nitrite are in check. Durring meds I was doing 100% water changes every 3 days. Since then I have added biological filtration and dosing the microbacter 7. I will add that there is a Regal Angelfish in QT with the Achilles and he is unaffected.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this before from time to time, sorry though, I don't know the cause. I don't think that it is parasitic. What about trying a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic?

Jay

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this before from time to time, sorry though, I don't know the cause. I don't think that it is parasitic. What about trying a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic?

Jay
I have nitrofurazone on hand. Think I should go that route? He looks a bit worse today.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Achilles tang in QT has been through copper/Nitrofurazone for 15 days and a week of prazi. After these treatments were over the nostrils have become inflamed/white. Any ideas? Fish still eats and otherwise seems healthy but this is concerning.

D9A92BAC-ECB6-4CAF-8F98-2763B3B9B57E.jpeg 65FAAF9F-7175-46AC-BA0B-EB2E2F0FB9F3.jpeg
What copper product are you using, what level is it at and how are you monitoring copper level?
May be turning into a bacterial infection. Seachem kanaplex MAY help

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper product are you using, what level is it at and how are you monitoring copper level?
May be turning into a bacterial infection. Seachem kanaplex MAY help
Copper power was at 2.0-2.25 monitored via Hanna checker. Copper treatment ended two about 2.5 weeks ago.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ran copper for 15 days with 100% water changes every 3 days. (Marine Collectors method)

I so have kanaplex on hand as well as Nitrofurazone
Kanaplex good.
With the water changes frequently, you broke the copper cycle which is a full 30 days (cycle) and change water IF ammonia becomes elevated.

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex good.
With the water changes frequently, you broke the copper cycle which is a full 30 days (cycle) and change water IF ammonia becomes elevated.
Water changes were with copper treated water. With the 100% water changes every 3 days and tank sterilized or swapped, copper treatment for ich and velvet can be completed 15 days.

I’ll treat with Kanaplex and see if I see improvements.

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worsening by the day

Attachments

• 10A1EA7F-EF51-4699-AADD-292BBB8CD403.jpeg
    10A1EA7F-EF51-4699-AADD-292BBB8CD403.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 35

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worsening by the day

The problem with antibiotics is that without doing a sensitivity test, there is no way to know exactly which one will work best for a given bacteria. Since the lesion is on the outside of the fish, it is most certainly an aerobic bacteria. Most marine fish pathogens are also gram negative. Kanaplex is a good choice for that, I also suggest Neomycin to people. I don't have much experience with nitrifurazones (other than many years ago) but you said you had that on hand, perhaps try that now?

Jay

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with antibiotics is that without doing a sensitivity test, there is no way to know exactly which one will work best for a given bacteria. Since the lesion is on the outside of the fish, it is most certainly an aerobic bacteria. Most marine fish pathogens are also gram negative. Kanaplex is a good choice for that, I also suggest Neomycin to people. I don't have much experience with nitrifurazones (other than many years ago) but you said you had that on hand, perhaps try that now?

Jay
I have been using that. I have some
800 mg sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg trimethoprim on the way.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using that. I have some
800 mg sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg trimethoprim on the way.
I like sulfa/trimeth, I didn't realize that is was available now days though....I used it when I managed a fish store back in the late 70's /early 80s.

Jay

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I’ve been running the nitrofurazone without any improvement. I do have 800 mg sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg trimethoprim on the way at the recommendation of a guy many would consider an expert on Acanthurus Tangs. I’m wondering if I can run it in conjunction with Kanaplex.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running the nitrofurazone without any improvement. I do have 800 mg sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg trimethoprim on the way at the recommendation of a guy many would consider an expert on Acanthurus Tangs. I’m wondering if I can run it in conjunction with Kanaplex.
I've never run those three together, so I can't say what might happen. Can you do a partial water change and then dose the sulfa/trimeth?

Jay

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never run those three together, so I can't say what might happen. Can you do a partial water change and then dose the sulfa/trimeth?

Jay
Sorry didn’t realize I replied twice I thought I got busy and never sent the first one ‍♂️. Yes when it arrives I’ll do that. I’m just nervous as this is one of my dream fish and I knew they were difficult. I’ve taken all the right precautions and ended up with an issue nobody has seen before. That’s my luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back